PDA

View Full Version : Cost To Convert From Tiller to Console Steering?

jetfishn
08-13-2005, 07:12 PM
I am thinking about buying a 2000 Klamath 14 ft Deluxe S aluminum boat w/15hp tiller 2000 Honda motor, I would want to convert to side console steering if I bought it, any idea how much for parts to convert this model??

Waterworks
08-21-2005, 07:12 PM
My 14 foot 1973 Boston Whaler has side mounted steering and I put a 15 horse tiller on it too. The steering wheel is far back enough so I can reach back to throttle control the tiller handle but I steer with the factory installed steering. I have asked dealers about putting a steering column into my other 12 ft aluminum boat and they told me it's around $250. Maybe $300. That was for parts only and not labor. I am so happy to have that steering wheel because a 15 horse tiller can make my arm very tired after about 20 minutes. So to me it is a luxury doing.

jetfishn
08-23-2005, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the info, I decided not to get involved in the changeover, got myself a new outfit sunday, 1998 15ft Gregor MX 510 Sportsman w/honda 30HP, side console steering, nice little outfit. Working the bugs out now since its been used some,and needs some items, gotta find a used Minnkota autopilot, and an X65,75, or preferrably an X85 finder. That will put me in business this fall.

Waterworks
08-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Propfishin,

Just curious. Where do go for used trolling motors?
I look around on ebay and see plenty but it seems many
people like to shop locally instead. I have heard about
places in Sacramento that have lots of used boat parts but I do not know where they are.

jetfishn
08-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Watertrip1,

Craigslist has a few electric trolling motors on there now, its a good fast moving used merchandise spot to watch, either Sac or SF boards. Depends on what you are looking for. Tiller mount models are pretty easy to find. Flea mkts sometimes have em too.

Durb
08-28-2005, 10:52 PM
You can find used minnkota power drives and auto pilots on e bay but be careful. My brother just received his off their and the shipper dropped it ans broke the prop and skeg off. It turned out it was to old to even get parts for the motor if it was even able to be used. Good thing he only paid 135 for it. He is buying new now. I have decided to save up and do the same.