PDA

View Full Version : New member and first question (PICTURES Added)

rho
08-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Greetings... *I have a 20 ft Ski Centurion that I will use for fishing in the winter. *

I ran across a brand new in box Minn Kota Maxxum bow mount trolling motor with 55 lbs of thrust at the local boat shop for $131. Yes $131... 75% off retail, so I bought it regardless if I needed it or not :)

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/motors/fw_bowmount/maxxum.asp

Anyway, I don't want to mount it on the bow of the Skiboat and wondered if mounting it on the swim deck of the boat will work ok. *I already have ideas of how to I could temporarily mount it on the teak swim deck during the winter... *Is this a bad idea???

Pictures Added

http://home.comcast.net/~rhobando/minn01.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~rhobando/minn02.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~rhobando/minn03.jpg

Thanks again,

Robert

LtDan
08-15-2005, 05:54 AM
Minn Kota has a new qwik release mount that is Nylon which essentailly a 6 by 9 inch plastic rectangle the piece that goes into the motor is cut for that square. Place the motor over the square and slide in the pins provided and your in business. They have them at fishermans warehouse. The original quik release mount is what I use and it is an aluminum unit which is a tray mount system which would not be great for a swim deck the plastic rectangle should'nt cause a problem.

sellhomes2fish
08-15-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm sure it is possible but there might not be enough cable/wire to place the foot control on the floor inside the boat. You may have to mount the foot control on top of the transom and control by hand.

LtDan
08-15-2005, 05:53 PM
my foot control cable has 11 feet of wire I believe. I stand on the rear flotation bunk of my 15,2 westcoaster and control the front mounted trolling motor.

rho
08-15-2005, 08:24 PM
my foot control cable has 11 feet of wire I believe. I stand on the rear flotation bunk of my 15,2 westcoaster and control the front mounted trolling motor.

The foot controller on my Maxxum unit is only about 5-6 feet... if that. I think it should work mounted on the swim deck, parts of it will just get more submerged than it would if bow mounted.

Durb
08-16-2005, 10:36 PM
It may work on the swim deck, however that motor is more of a bass boat bow type motor. *Meaning you sit at the bow and work it with your foot for quick turns. *In all honesty I think you would be much happier with a power drive type motor that has a long cord that can be taken inside the boat It is better for trolling and steering control. Can also add the co pilot that operates off a mini remote control. Should be able to mount the power drive on the swim deck like the post mentioned. Would get old pushing that peddle with your hand. *Just something to think about. Good luck.

Good luck.

Christopherjake
08-17-2005, 06:03 AM
Rho, you got an awesome deal! Is that the only motor they had or are there more for sale? For $131 you can't beat it with a stick!

rho
08-18-2005, 12:27 PM
It may work on the swim deck, however that motor is more of a bass boat bow type motor. *Meaning you sit at the bow and work it with your foot for quick turns. *In all honesty I think you would be much happier with a power drive type motor that has a long cord that can be taken inside the boat It is better for trolling and steering control. *Can also add the co pilot that operates off a mini remote control. Should be able to mount the power drive on the swim deck like the post mentioned. *Would get old pushing that peddle with your hand. *Just something to think about. *Good luck.

Good luck.

The Power drive would be a better unit but I need to stick with the Maxxum since that is what I bought :)

I think when mounted to the teak swim deck there will be enough line to place the foot controller on the floor at the stern of the boat, so controlling it by hand would not be an issue. I'll take pictures of it temporarily mounted and post a follow-up message.

Robert

rho
08-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Rho, you got an awesome deal! *Is that the only motor they had or are there more for sale? *For $131 you can't beat it with a stick!

BoatUS is losing their lease an is selling all discontinued items up to 75% off. The sales person recognized me as he was moving the box to the front of the store and said 'This one will not last 5 minutes'... I followed him and as soon has it hit the floor I put my hand on it and said 'you are right, it lasted 1 second'

Needless to say that was the only one available.

FF_MYRL
08-22-2005, 07:15 AM
YOU CAN ALWAYS SELL THE ONE YOU BOUGHT ON EBAY, AND THEN BUY THE ONE THAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU. I BOUGHT A MINN KOTA THREE YEARS AGO USED FOR $75.00. TWO YEARS LATER I SOLD IT ON EBAY FOR $210.00, AND USED THE MONEY TOWARDS A NEW ONE.

JUST AN IDEA!

drstressor
08-22-2005, 07:34 AM
The only problem I can foresee is that with the motor mounted so far off of the boat's centerline, you may have a hard time steering in a straight line. That's why the bow mount solution works so well. The motor just pulls the hull in the direction you choose.

However, if you boat has an extreme deep V hull the offset stern mount might work well enough.