PDA

View Full Version : downrigger mounting help needed

janbfishinfolk
08-18-2005, 06:34 AM
Just bought some electric downriggers for my Tracker Super Guide V15. The starboard side of the boat has a ledge I should think has the steering cables etc in it. The ledge is too small to mount the rigger on top so I have to use a right angle bracket but I'm leery of a) the strength of the ledge to hold - and b) the way to shore up the ledge without interfering with the controls. Anyone have reccommendations? Anyone know who could install these professionally? I'm in the north Bay area.

Thanks
John

SuperDave
08-18-2005, 06:44 AM
John, installing downriggers is really easy. As far as the mounting, you have a couple options. They make mounting pedestals that have a smaller foot than the mounting plate. Also, guys here have mentioned using everything from corian counter material to 1/4" metal plate for creating their own base. Personally, with your boat, I'd look for the mounting pedestals as a Tracker tends to have lower gunnels and this would get the rigger higher and easier to use.

janbfishinfolk
08-18-2005, 07:55 AM
Hi - Yes I thought about pedestals but as the downrigger only has a 24" boom this would put the wire rather close to the boat. I should explain the starboard side has a 2 tier ledge with the 2nd level being a long storage compartment. The gunnel lip along with the ledges would put the pedestal edge 12 inches into the boat. I'm thinking maybe of using a steel plate off the 2"edge and an L bracket coming up from the side and going under the plate. Possibly with some hardwood inserted.

Zucca
08-18-2005, 08:23 AM
I made my brackets out of 1/8 or 3/16 inch aluminum. They are L-brackets like you are considering. Home Depot sells aluminum angle that can be used to connect the top plate to the vertical plate. Aluminum plate can be purchased at scrap metal dealers. There is a large dealer in Oakland not too far from the airport.

somebody
08-18-2005, 09:17 AM
::)maybe i build to strong but i used a of trench shoring board and paced it from transom to gunnel @ 45 degrees angle, then drilled and tapped the holes to bolt the mounting bracket. if you find trench shore dealer they will probally have some scrap board you can use. the way i mounted the boards looked good and the transom would not pull out like in jaws. these are made of alum with ribs that can be cut off to get a flat area for mounting to boat. screws- pop rivets or what ever to mount to boat. plasma cutting cuts alum.

Mudslinger
08-19-2005, 09:18 PM
You can also cut aluminum with a skill saw if you want to. Just reverse the blade (regular wood blade - not a carbid tipped one) and cut slowly. Use bees wax on the blade to keep it from gaulding and you might want to use ear plugs as it will make a lot of noise. I have cut material that was 3/8th of an inch thick like this.

janbfishinfolk
08-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Mud my Man you are much braver man than I. My nickname would be Stumpy if I tried something like that. I think I've found some brackets that will work at Home Depot. I better get to work because I only have just over a week before I'll be on Donner Lake. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

John