PDA

View Full Version : VHF RADIO

FF_MYRL
08-16-2005, 07:11 PM
I PLAN TO BUY A MARINE RADIO AND ANTENNA, MY BUDGET IS AROUND $200. ARE THERE ANY BRANDS I SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM OR ANY BRANDS I SHOULD TAKE A LOOK AT. IS A LONG ANTENNA BETTER 8' VS. 6', WHIP VS FIBERGLASS.

ANY INFO WILL HELP. I HAVE A 19.5' MONARK ALUMINUM BOAT WITH ALOMST A 8' BEAM.

THANK YOU!

basil
08-17-2005, 09:06 AM
I just bought a radio and the real surprise is that an antennae will cost you 80 to 120 bucks. So you budget will limit you.

As for antennae, you don't need a long one, you can achieve the same results by extending it. Height is everything when it comes to recieving and transmitting. On the other hand, how far do you really need to go? It's basic line of sight and a typical installation is good for 6 to 7 miles. That's because the curvature of the earth starts to block you after that. There are exceptions, but counting on a cloud layer to bounce your signal the right way is not a predictable way to go.

I don't have any strong brand preferences, but Uniden has been making CB's and VHF radios a long time. My buddy just bought a hand held for a hundred and it came with a lot of great features for the money.

mjonesjr
08-17-2005, 10:26 AM
You can probably come close to $200 for a good setup. I got my Uniden and a complete antenna setup with mount & cable which included all necessary hardware to install it. Iím very satisfied with the setup. ;D All came from Ebay. Below is what I got. Hope it helps ;)

mjonesjr

VHF: http://cgi.ebay.com/Uniden-Solara-DSC-White-Marine-VHF-Radio_W0QQitemZ5797772890QQcategoryZ94867QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Antenna: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-MARINE-VHF-RADIO-ANTENNA-5-8-WAVE-COMPLETE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31278QQitemZ45 68879338QQrdZ1

FF_MYRL
08-17-2005, 06:21 PM
THANK YOU, FOR THE INFO!
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING ON EBAY FOR MY RADIO SET UP. THE UNIDEN AND COBRA WERE THE TWO RADIO'S I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT AND THE 8' FIBERGLASS ANTENNA IS WHAT I WAS COSIDERING FOR MY BOAT. MY CANVAS IS ABOUT 6'6" HIGH, AND I DO NOT HAVE ANY WAY TO MOUNT THE ANTENNA ABOVE THE CANVAS.

THANKS, RODNEY

FishMischief
08-17-2005, 08:50 PM
I mounted mine outside the canvas. *It still gets in the way. *In fact last time out I broke the mount because I was puttin the bimini up and forgot that the antennae was bungied to it.

I am going with a smaller antennae (like 5') because I mostly fish small lakes. *I will mount it farther forward this time. *I may eventually get an 8' as well for when I need it.

I bought a cheap $99 unit and it works great.

somebody
08-18-2005, 09:06 AM
::)I have a uniden it says it will show gps info. got it from cabelas including antenae for $159.00 i think. 5 foot stainless w/mount. i also have a hand held gps but have yet to get info on how to hook everything together. they say u only have to have such and such. now . end result no gps on radio but radio will work about 8-10 miles

FF_MYRL
08-18-2005, 07:31 PM
I JUST BOUGHT THE COBRA MRF 75. I BOUGHT IT OFF EBAY FOR $134.00 NIB. NOW ALL I NEED IS AN ANTENNA.

ONCE I GET AN ANTENNA I WILL POST HOW IT ALL WORKS.

mjonesjr
08-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I luv Ebay!! ;D 8) ;D

somebody
08-20-2005, 07:07 AM
the one i got is aa i-com not uniden, got mixed up again