PDA

View Full Version : Help with E Z Lube Bearings

FishMischief
08-11-2005, 09:48 PM
I seem to have lost a dust cover on one side. The instructions I have seen say to inject grease with a gun until the old pushes out and you start to see new grease.

It warns against mixing grease types but what grease should I get???

drstressor
08-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Almost all of the standard NLGI #2 marine wheel bearing greases use lithium based soap (grease is just a mixture of oil, soap, and anti-wear additives). You can run into a separation problem when mixing greases that use different soaps. But almost all of the non-synthetic marine greases are lithium based and can be mixed without a problem. They are typically blue or red in color. The ones that are aluminum or calcium based usually say so on the tube.

If you want to be safe and are not ready to clean and re-pack the bearings, just shoot in the new grease until it shows up at the vent. Then run the trailer for a few miles (until the bearings warm up) and repeat the process a second time to remove any additional old grease.

FishMischief
08-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Gotta laugh at myself... ;D

I bought a gun and grease and thought this would be a 30 minute thing... Oh well so much for that...

Put in my 1st tube of grease according to the guns instructions and no grease comes out. I try loosening teh head to allow air to come out so that it could build vaccum (I assume it needs vaccum) and still not go. So then I opened up the head of the gun and got a handfull of grease :o (glad I bought the small gun).

So I cleaned up and tried the second tube. Still the grease will not come out... >:(

Any suggestions...

wetdog
08-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Be sure the tube is inserted in the proper direction and that the the tip of the hose/barrel is in the open position pump the handle ...you should now be in lube HEAVEN! GOOD LUCK ;)

drstressor
08-15-2005, 08:51 PM
The instructions that come with some of the smaller grease guns are not always clear. After removing the seal on the grease cartridge and inserting it into the gun, I pull the "T" handle with the compression spring all the way back and lock it in place by twisting the handle. After screwing the base with the handle tightly into place, I release the handle by pulling and twisting in the opposite direction and then push the handle all the way in through all of the grease in the cartridge. The cylinder needs to be screwed tightly into the head of the gun so that there are no air leaks. At this point, pumping the lever should deliver grease until the cartridge is empty.

I understand that this may be hard to visualize. If anything I said isn't clear, just ask me to try again.

Durb
08-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Doc hit the instructions on the head. One thing not to forget though is to take the ends off BOTH sides of the grease cartridge. One side has a plastic end that lifts off. *The other end is a pull tab. (Like an old style pop can) Don't feel to bad I have had a few hands of grease myself inserting these cartridges. >:(

FishMischief
08-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Here is how I loaded it...

I Pull the T-Handle back (it doesnt lock for some reason no matter how much I fiddle with it) and hold it in place. With the head off the gun I insert the tube open end first (open end where I took off the cap). I pulled off the foil tab and screwed the head of the gun back on. Both ends are air tight. I then push the T handle all the way in.

Now I squeeze the handle and just a small bit of grease comes out then no more. :(

drstressor
08-16-2005, 09:01 AM
You're doing everything right. Sounds like your grease gun is defective.

Do you feel better now? ;D

FishMischief
08-16-2005, 03:18 PM
I was thinking that too. This shouldn't be that hard... :-/