PDA

View Full Version : Hour Meter

dirtydan
08-11-2005, 03:48 PM
sooooo . . . . I'm going to put an hour meter on my boat - for maintenance purposes. It's got a 460 (I/O) - I want to install the meter so it's only running when the motor is running - so I can't just connect it to the ignition. I'd like to mount it to the engine on one of the dozens of brackets already there - but don't know where to wire it.

Does anyone know which wire would be best to hook into? any advice is much appreciated.

-DD

fishkiller
08-11-2005, 04:44 PM
8)without seeing the wires pick the pink with black strip dan ,,, j/k get a test light dan very easy to find near coil. voltage regulater. :o 8)

somebody
08-11-2005, 05:01 PM
find a wire that has voltage only when switch is on, other wire to ground. 40 hours @ 50 mile an hour in your vehicle = 2000 miles approx

dirtydan
08-11-2005, 06:37 PM
find a wire that has voltage only when switch is on, other wire to ground. 40 hours @ 50 mile an hour in your vehicle = 2000 miles approx

Yeah - but I can get that at the ignition switch - but the switch can be on when the motor's not running - and I only want it running when the motor's actually running.

Killer - I was going to just hit the tester while running - I was just hoping to save time - maybe someone knew about a wire at the alternator - or distributor . . . I give it a wing . . . but - isn't the voltage regulator and coil, etc. powered with the switch on? I just want power when the motor's running . . .what about the alternator output?

Thanks again -

F/K - I still want to hit you up for a sturgy trip on your rig (on mine on your turf) - soon I hope.

-DD

sashimi_express
08-11-2005, 07:14 PM
;D Dan forget about the hour meter and get you a service meter instead. It only has one wire which wraps around your #1 plug wire and only works when the engine is running unlike the hour meter which is on as soon as the key is turned. They are small and can be held in place with a tie wrap. They have their own battery and can be used as a tach plus you can reset these and you can't do that on a hour meter. Cabela's has them in their atv and truck catolog or you can but them at any good marine dealer. I know Gone fishin in Dixon has them under the quicksilver label. ;D

dirtydan
08-11-2005, 07:19 PM
;D Dan forget about the hour meter and get you a service meter instead. It only has one wire which wraps around your #1 plug wire and only works when the engine is running unlike the hour meter which is on as soon as the key is turned. They are small and can be held in place with a tie wrap. They have their own battery and can be used as a tach plus you can reset these and you can't do that on a hour meter. Cabela's has them in their atv and truck catolog or you can but them at any good marine dealer. I know Gone fishin in Dixon has them under the quicksilver label. ;D

Now that's what I need - Danke schön. Why even have an hour meter if these things work on engine spark? You guys are good - forget the PGA. ;)

Update - Just looked at it on the Cabela's website - says the service meter is "designed" for 1 cylinder outboards . . . I wonder if it'll work on an 8 cyl inboard ??? ugh.

iwishtobe
08-11-2005, 07:36 PM
i will also say thank you.....

i have been kicking around the hour meter idea.

guess i will also be hooking upto the number one plug!

drstressor
08-11-2005, 10:38 PM
What is wrong with wiring an hour meter to the ignition switch? Why would you leave the ignition on when the engine is not running? Most of the standard hour meter installations just use the hot wire from the key switch. That's how I did mine. Most hour meters make a clicking sound that you can hear if the ignition is left on without the engine running.

dirtydan
08-12-2005, 06:09 AM
Doc -

When I get to the dock - for instance - I shut down the motor and leave the ignition "on" so I can button-up, raise the outdrive, etc. I could tie it to the switch but - if I'm only concerned with an accurate motor-on figure - I figured it would be more appropriate to tie it in to something that's only hot when the motor's running.

drstressor
08-12-2005, 07:23 AM
I think that we are confusing the ignition switch and the power switch. All of your accessories and the engine power tilt/trim motor should be wired to your power switch that connects/disconnects the battery. The only thing that should be wired to your ignition switch should be your engine power pack and starter. So there is no need to have the ignition key turned to the "on" position except when the engine is being started or is running.

BTW, those little service meters will work with any engine as an hour meter. However, the tachometer function will not be accurate except for single and 2-cylinder engines where the connected spark plug fires with each engine revolution.

dirtydan
08-12-2005, 08:39 AM
All of your accessories and the engine power tilt/trim motor should be wired to your power switch that connects/disconnects the battery. The only thing that should be wired to your ignition switch should be your engine power pack and starter. So there is no need to have the ignition key turned to the "on" position except when the engine is being started or is running.

I'm going to check that - but I believe my key must be in and turned to the "run" position for the outdrive hydraulics to operate . . . Same with all my gauges (fuel) - they aren't hot unless the key is on. Everything else on the boat operates without the key on.

drstressor
08-12-2005, 09:51 AM
A hot wire going to any one of your gauges (except for an amp or volt meter) is a good place to attach an hour meter. The draw is very low.

dirtydan
08-12-2005, 10:19 AM
How about the return side of the kill-switch?

drstressor
08-12-2005, 10:34 AM
That should be OK also.

sashimi_express
08-12-2005, 06:06 PM
;D Dan the service meter worked as a tach on my Merc 90 4 stk and my Merc 115 efi 4stk and both of these were 4 cylinders. The Dr. is right you should be able to operate your out drive with out the key in the on position. I still like the fact you can reset the service meter and you can't a hour meter plus they take up a lot less space since you don't need a mounting bracket. Just my .02 worth ;D

fence_man
08-12-2005, 07:33 PM
if you have a elect. oil switch connect it there it will only work when you have oil pressure ( running)