PDA

View Full Version : 225 Honda problems

tom_walsh
08-09-2005, 06:08 AM
I have been having trouble with my 225 Honda outboard. It's a 2003 and shuts down while underway. They have replaced all the thermostats and the computer chip but it still does it. It does not appear to be overheating and starts right back up and zooms away. anybody else having this kind of problem? Know what fixes it? thanks ???

HSUSteelie
08-09-2005, 07:47 AM
It might be a fuel starvation problem. Fuel starve maybe the case if it only shuts down at a high RPM (higher fuel intake at higher speeds). Check fuel lines, fuel filter, or any other place that could cause a loss of pressure in the system.

I lucked out and had a bad hose clamp on my 25, sounded similar to what I was dealing with.

HSU Steelie

FISHSTALKER
08-09-2005, 08:18 AM
I own a 225 and my only problem has been a short in the Throttle control wires. The engine would work fine and when I would try to throttle back and forward and trim to get on the trailer, a 10 amp fuse would blow on the engine fuse block. The problem progressivly got worse though it was intermitent. I left the boat at a shop for a week and they could find nothing. I still paid a high bill for time and no service. Total waist of good money and won't go back.
I spent a day going through electrical diagrams. Pulled the throttle control apart and found a tinny split in the wire where it was grounding out. Hardly identifyable. Turned out to be a two hour repair.

Sounds like your repair shop has no idea and is throwing parts (money) at it with the hopes of getting lucky.
The best thing you can do is, try to identify the symptoms leading up to the motor quiting.
Are there any warning buzzers? Does the motor surge? Have you had your hundred hour service? (plugs, fuel filters, etc.) Any work or maintenance done prior to the problem arising?

The most common reason for a engine to quit is fuel starvation or pressure loss. A small hole or crack in the rubber fuel line or bulb will allow the engine to idle but will starve out when reaching higher RPM. Contaminated fuel can have the same results. Adding a water eliminator to your fuel is a good policy.

If it isn't electrical, then it has to be a fuel delivery problem.

DinoBlaster
08-09-2005, 11:02 AM
I had the same problem with my Mercury Opti-Max, had it at a certified Mercury repair shop two different times..they wanted to replace all of my fuel systems...do what I did I call your motor company inyour case Honda Marine..talk with a service rep explain the problem and what the shop did to solve your problem..in my case I did that with Mercury got great suggestions bought a service manual and fixed the problem myself for a total of $12.00. My case it was a low volume pump kit that keeps the fuel in a chamber befor entering the high presure fuel injectors. The manual showed exactly how to install a new one. Pluse when I bought the kit it had dircetions copied right out of the service manual. Sorry for the long winded explantion hope this helps in some way. DB :)

Fishtale
08-11-2005, 08:16 AM
Tom...I have a 2004 Honda 225. I have the exact same problem you do. It has been going on since I bought it. It has been to the shop on numerous occasions(six). I have complained to Honda Corporate Office and have threatened to sue them. I think it is a safety issue. They have replaced the wiring harness, enlarged the water pickup filter and lowered the motor. The expert from the factory has been on my boat for four hours. He told me that the transducer from my fish finder is interrupting the water flow. He said the transducer needs to be moved. The motor hasn't screwed up in four months now so I'm leaving it alone. I didn't move the transducer.I thought I was the only one with the problem. PM me if you want more info.

Rusty_Hooks
08-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Company reps quite often will take the company line :-/

Dale...I was thinking the same thing...if it shuts off quick, it sounds like a short and if after running and warming the engine only I'de almost bet on it.

expansion in the wiring...a loose connection to a fitting that sweels just ever so slightly,,,

I liked it when wires were wires, and not hairs ;D ;D

anything to cut costs and max the bottom line :-/ :P