PDA

View Full Version : what prop to buy?

ric1ric
08-08-2005, 11:05 AM
I have a wellcraft air slot 21 ft. 1975 with a 351 ford. I think the right pitch is a 19 when I got the boat it had set for 18 years I spun the 1st prop the first time out so I thought it was old an rotten, it came with 3 differant props the one I put on I didnt find the pitch on but it allowed me to over rev I tried a 21 pitch out of an old boat it was a lltle to much and within a half an hour it spun out yesterday the prop I had been running spun out also, but it was also with the boat when I got it and had been sitting for 18 yrs. Now I'm going to buy a new prop and could use some suggestions on what to buy composite,Alum, stainless steel this boat is very heavy and has a very strong motor [It was a cop boat at one time] All help would be apprecated

SuperDave
08-08-2005, 11:26 AM
What have you been doing each of these times you keep "spinning" your props? Spin the prop once, shame on the prop, spin the prop twice, shame on me!

ric1ric
08-08-2005, 12:42 PM
the first two times it was fully planed and cruiseing the last time it was powering up to plane

Hogsbro
08-08-2005, 05:43 PM
If you know the weight of the boat and the horsepower of the motor you can go to the Mercury website. They have a prop selector program that may help.

fishkiller
08-08-2005, 06:20 PM
8)spun props are not the fault of the driver , it is old age and worn rubber and if it been in the delta or bay them tiny crusteasions burrow between the hub, or someone took a spun prop and had it refitted and is bound to spin again within the first 2 years thats why they dont warranty them at prop shops. Get the info off the motor and outdrive go to mercury site and select a prop. But buy it on ebay not a dealership. save 2-300 dollars. ;) ;D 8) go stainless if in the budget.

sashimi_express
08-08-2005, 06:42 PM
ric1ric check your PMs ;D