PDA

View Full Version : Painted Balls w/ result photo

SuperDave
07-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Besides the belief that color of the downrigger balls attracts fish, is there any other compelling reason to paint our downrigger balls? *I bought a $10 can of plastic dip and just want to know again why I'm doing this before I do it. *;D

fishnmike2002
07-26-2005, 09:37 AM
It protects your balls if they hang low and you have a tendency to drag them from time to time. ;D

FishnMike

Rusty_Hooks
07-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Being an ex Marine I shouldn't be encouraging Navy behavior ;D

but...

If it is aboard ship.....and it does't have paint on it....

paint it... ;D ;D ::)

That's a minor modification to the original...

If it moves......move it....

If it doesn't move....paint it... ;D

Silver_Streak
07-26-2005, 09:49 AM
It helps to insulate your downrigger wire from unwanted electric charges. This happens if you have any kind of electrical leakages from some of the electronics on board your boat. This is what is referred to as a "hot" boat. Also, it is good to use an insulated clip that attaches to your downrigger ball. Hope this helps a little bit! ;D

SuperDave
07-26-2005, 09:50 AM
I found the plastic dip in a pretty blue. Should I get a can of black and have one black ball and one blue ball?

Who else has done the process? Did you paint or did you dip?

dirtydan
07-26-2005, 11:51 AM
I found the plastic dip in a pretty blue. *Should I get a can of black and have one black ball and one blue ball?*

Black and blue balls? OUCH! :o

ITUKAWAL
07-26-2005, 12:01 PM
I found the plastic dip in a pretty blue. *Should I get a can of black and have one black ball and one blue ball?

Who else has done the process? *Did you paint or did you dip? *

I sorta knew this thread was on it's way to a downward spiral ::) ::)

However, the theme is what is important. Right ??? ???
Don't forget those bright ORANGE Cabela's Balls.

Remember....It may be that your sole purpose in life
- is simply to serve as a warning to others.

SuperDave
07-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Dip or brush applied?

SideJump
07-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Hinrid,
I wouldn't use the dip or brush it. If you already bought the dip take it back and exchange it for the spray version. Much easier to apply. I just hung the weight by a string (back yard because it's has a strong odor)and spray the heck out of it. I put about 4 or 5 coats on. Turned out much better than the one I tried with the dip. The problem with the dip is you can't dip the weight in the can. I ended up pouring the dip over the weight... what a mess and lots of waste.
Sidejump

Steve_M
07-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Why not color them like you do easter eggs,Put the paint in a coffee cup and dip em in. ;D ;D ;D

sashimi_express
07-26-2005, 06:40 PM
::) I had blue balls once. ::)

metalmouth
07-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Sashimi, you may have to have that looked at! :o

SideJump what brand of plastic coat spray paint are you using, I'm working on testing various colors on the effects of fish, at different depths. ;) Are you buying them at a major chain store?

skipper
07-26-2005, 10:06 PM
I bought some in a spray can at Ace Hardware. Problem I found with it, it comes off when you drag the bottom.

SideJump
07-27-2005, 05:57 AM
MetalMouth,

The brand I purchased at Home Depot was called "Performix - Plastic Dip." I got the black. I think it came in another color but they were out. After it dryed I put some green holographic tape on it. No reason for the green except I had some laying around. My other weights have gold holo-tape. I'm not sure if one holo-tape is better than the other... all I know it makes the weights cool looking.

SideJump

Erreck
07-28-2005, 07:58 AM
Guys,

I have no problem talking about colored D.R. balls. However... Please keep it clean!

SuperDave
07-29-2005, 08:48 AM
I tried the spray can method last night and was surprised that it looks just like standard spray paint. I thought it might be thicker, more like car undercoating. It's going to take dozens of coats to look anything like factory coated weights.

Frank
07-29-2005, 02:24 PM
I have used the dip and the spray, both come off equally as easy when they drag bottom. Best to just use regular spray paint and use a plastic downrigger ball clip to isolate it from the cable.

;DPS I found it easier to shave before dipping my balls.

metalmouth
07-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I guess at this point I'll just use a regular spray paint in neon or glow colors. I use Cannon terminal ends so the ball is isolated already. I think that the regular paint will touch up easy and is cheap. I'll keep using Luhr Jensen Holographic tape on the sides in a fish shape. Thanks to the moderators for allowing a thread that can get out of hand pretty easily. I learned a lot from everyone's trials. :)

SuperDave
07-30-2005, 01:54 PM
My feable effort. MetalMouth, I think spray paint is easier, cleaner way to go. Black was spray, blue was dip, pour, spray. ??? In other words, I tried anything I could think of.

http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/5316/blackblue2bt.jpg (http://imageshack.us)