PDA

View Full Version : Transom Saver

kingsmules
07-25-2005, 06:30 AM
I have just purchased a 20 ft. 2004 Northriver with an offshore bracket. Its equipped with a 150 Yamaha and 8 HP kicker. I was wondering if any of you guys use a transom saver for your big motors and if you travel with your motors up or in the down position. Im a bit concerned with the wieght and stress of everything bouncing around back there while traveling. Thanks from a long time lurker!

SuperDave
07-25-2005, 06:39 AM
Kingsmules, look at your motor just below the motor head, neat the pivot point. There is a metal leg on a spring. When you raise the motor to near full up position, take your finger and swing the metal leg down. Then adjust your trim button to where the metal leg starts to support weight of the motor. This takes the bouncing stress off of the hydraulics. The offshore bracket is thick, welded aluminum. No need for the standard outdrive to trailer brace.

drstressor
07-25-2005, 07:49 AM
That's how I do it also. (Hard to believe that we agree on something, eh Hinrid ;D).

I've never been able to find a transom saver that would work for engines on transom brackets.

If you want to minimize the bouncing around, install shock absorbers on your trailer. A lot of the guys who trailer over the logging roads in BC use them.

Rusty_Hooks
07-25-2005, 09:21 AM
If you want to minimize the bouncing around, install shock absorbers on your trailer. A lot of the guys who trailer over the logging roads in BC use them.

What a great idea....another addon to the list...Thanks for that..... ;) ;D

Welcome to the boards kingsmules...

kingsmules
07-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the replys! I have had a bigger boat with a 225 HP that I used the lever locks for traveling with but this offshore bracket just looks so much more cantilevered. This is my first aluminum boat so Im probably just paranoid. Im sure Northriver has engineered this to death. Thanks again!!

Brettski
07-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Hey, Good Idea on the shocks!! Where do you get them from?Kits??? Never thought of that! Brettski

drstressor
07-27-2005, 07:21 AM
Trailer Shock Absorber Kit (http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=58 57&categoryID=0)

FISHSTALKER
07-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Doc - The next time we get together you should take a look at how the factory set up the transom saver on mine. They welded attachment brackets to the bottom of the boat transom where the saver is then pinned. The Honda 225 motor dry weight is 610 lbs. This does a good job of stabalizing the motor.

drstressor
07-27-2005, 08:27 AM
I remember your setup Dale. That is a good solution for bracket mounted engines.

sunracer1957
07-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Another good link for trailer parts

http://www.championtrailers.com/

Irish
07-29-2005, 04:39 AM
I have a Merc 75 and the manual advises against using the tilt support lever when trailering. “The outboard tilt support lever is not intended to support the outboard for trailering.” Just a thought.