PDA

View Full Version : Anchors: Which one is best?

tdekens
06-08-2005, 09:40 AM
You figure someone who spent 20 years in the Navy could at least figure out the best anchor to use. :o Anyways I have a 21 foot jet. I am looking for an anchor that will hold me in fast water and come out easy from under a tree. I know what kind dont work and I have a couple still at the bottom of the river. As a matter of fact they are parked about 50 feet from each other :'( I will get one of them back though as I will try again for it this weekend but anyways. I have seen a thousand types online, in stores and on boats. Give me your pro's and con's please. It will soon be cheaper for me to buy a pile driver and set my own dock the next time I want to anchor.
Thanks much guys (and gals), 2shakes ;D ;D 8)

Irish
06-08-2005, 10:31 AM
I like the Danforth anchor, which works great in sandy areas or heavy mud. They are less effective in heavily vegetated bottoms or rocky strata.

The Plow has the most strength and digs deeper and deeper into the bottom strata.

The Mushroom relies on weight only and has almost no digging power. I would stay away from the mushroom. If they get caught on something they are heard to retrieve.

For my money the Danforth is the best.

Cabela’s has a digger boat anchor with “200%” more holding power. Give it a look.
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0001542011126a&navAction=push&navCou nt=1&indexId=cat21316&podId=0001542&catalogCode=IF &parentId=cat21316&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2 Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276&hasJS=true

tdekens
06-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Irish, Thanks I have a couple of Mushroom river anchors at the bottom of the river now. They anchor the submerged trees pretty good but not boats. Couldnt agree more with you there. ;D ;D 8)2Shakes

dirtydan
06-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Cabela’s has a digger boat anchor with “200%” more holding power.

That's a cool looking anchor - and no chain? That would actually weigh much less than my current 14# anchor and 10' chain . . . and it looks like it'll release pretty easily once you get over it . . . anyone tried on of these?

-DD

dimpala95
06-08-2005, 03:56 PM
For an all around anchor it's hard to beat a Danforth type.

Irish
06-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Dan,
I have the Cabela's anchor on order (Actually a Fathers Day request) I'll let you know how the thing works, but it looks like this may be a hot ticket.

sashimi_express
06-08-2005, 04:33 PM
;D I had a 15# digger for my old 23 cuddy. It works real good the only thing with no chain is that you have to let out a lot more rope to get it to hold. I use a gaurdian 4# for my 18'6" Tracker with a good length of 3/8chain and it holds great. These anchors are made by fortress. Cabela's I beleive has them. I got mine from West marine in Rancho.

Irish
06-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Steve, Should I change my request? ???

sashimi_express
06-08-2005, 08:45 PM
;D Well I would hate to give you advice and you not like it, but I just think if you can get something that holds like no tomorrow at a fraction of the weight go that route. The digger is a fine anchor and easy to clean but I just can't give up the storage for that much rope.

Irish
06-09-2005, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll stop by West Marine and take a look. Also, Glad to see your Mom is doing better, All the best

sashimi_express
06-09-2005, 09:58 AM
;D Thank you. ;D

gizmo
06-11-2005, 07:44 PM
http://preview.watsonfarrell.com/snagfree/

snagfree is the only anchor that will hold me in fast water.... took ten anchors to find this one. has never failed!
g-mo

dimpala95
06-12-2005, 02:07 PM
http://preview.watsonfarrell.com/snagfree/Resources/mainpage2.jpeg
I agree, they work great on the river in loose gravel. I use one on my 12 ft aluminum and is has not let me down, even when snagged on a tree.

tdekens
06-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Fellas, I bought the digger anchor in the 15 pound with out a chain. Doesnt hold. Bought a chain. Doesnt hold. Says it will hold a 30 foot boat. Most guys I see on the river use one similiar to that claw release. I am going to get that one. I have a 15 pound digger anchor if you want to buy one. Only used once! ;D These guys must be thinking sloughs when they are talking about holding power. Wouldnt hold in rock, sand or mud. Did hold on a snagged tree though :o PM me with your best offer if you are a digger anchor fan. I live in Live Oak 95953 and work at Beale AFB 95903. Don't get me wrong it will probably work on most boats just not my floating aluminum water dragger. >:(
Fish on! ;D ;D 8)

fishyfishy33
06-15-2005, 08:27 AM
you might not have enough weight. ive got a 20' jet and have that anchor at 25# with 7' of big chain and it holds better then anything else ive experienced with. also most of the river guides use these also and they are on the water everday. the tackle shop in colusa by the state park has them also...i cant remember their name

tdekens
06-15-2005, 08:39 AM
You must be referring to a different brand of anchor. The digger only goes to 15 pounds and is supposed to hold a 30foot boat. Check the link at the beginning of this post and see if its the same one. Kittles is the shop in colusa you are referring to. Thanks for the info. 2 Shakes ;D ;D 8)

JD
06-23-2005, 04:40 PM
I could'nt get the Snag Free site to connect.

basil
06-24-2005, 08:05 AM
Your problem is not your anchor it's your setup. If you're going to anchor in fast running rivers where you keep sticking anchors you need a second line the attaches to the opposite end of the anchor as the holding line. It doesn't need as much scope as the anchor. Put on bouy on the end and then let it float free while you are anchored. Then you can release from the holding line and grab the other line to pull the anchor out of the tree it gets stuck under.

I also noticed you or someone complained about having enough room for a lot of anchor line. This is your second problem. in a fast river with a bottom that is hard to hold, you will lose less anchors by using a scope of 10 to 1 and a boat length of chain. Then your anchor won't drag till it gets stuck under something.

A trick for using less line or chain is to attach a weight well back of the anchor. This will lay your anchor line down towards the bottom and keep it from pulling up on the anchor which is your basic problem. Make the weight as heavy as you can reasonably handle.

The Danforth anchor is a great anchor, but only in sand, mud or a bottom it can plow under. I don't think it's your answer, mainly because if you don't want to use the tag line with a bouy approach you will lose it. Look for an anchor that allows the ring where the rode attaches to slide from front to back on the anchor. This style of anchor allows the anchor to hold but when you go to pull it up you leave it slack and run your boat forward of the anchor position then pull the anchor. If it has slid under something the forward movement of the ring will allow you to pull the anchor out.

By the way there is no one good anchor, it depends on where you are anchoring.

tdekens
07-25-2005, 02:47 PM
http://preview.watsonfarrell.com/snagfree/Resources/mainpage2.jpeg
I agree, they work great on the river in loose gravel. I use one on my 12 ft aluminum and is has not let me down, even when snagged on a tree.
I bought one of these from Huggyspot and let me tell you. Bar none there is no anchor near this one. I can be in rapids and drop that bad boy then bada bing. Anchored like Michael Jackson at a kids birthday party. Toss the digger anchor out and get one of these.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

huggyspot
07-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Glad you liked it 2shakes I told you if you can float it in the river this anchor will hold it, now go catch a fish

basil
07-26-2005, 09:12 AM
How much scope are you giving the anchor. Five times the
line to the depth is minimum. In a current more like 7 to 10 times as much. That's one reason why you lose anchors, you don't give the anchor enough line and it drags till it catches under a limb or something.

Also river anchoring is somewhat hazardous to getting stuck, so I would rig a second line to the back of the anchor that is maybe 20% longer than the depth with a bouy. Then you can hook to the line and pull the anchor out backwards and unhook it.

Silver_Streak
07-26-2005, 09:41 AM
Basil, you sound like you know what you are talking about, but I'm still having a hard time understanding how the float setup works. I also looked up the Snag-free anchor site, but don't see any prices listed. I'm looking for one for a 18ft heavy alum. jet boat (Jetcraft Yukon).

tdekens
07-26-2005, 09:50 AM
I give the anchor as much scope as it needs from 5-10 with chain. This anchor is much better as the weight is built in to the anchor. Chain merely weights down the flute to give it a better angle of pull. It also helps as it in turn grips the bottom a little with the links dragging. With the weight on the bottom of the anchor it pushes the blades into the bottom gripping about 5 times better than just adding chain to an anchor. Adding chain to this makes the gripping even that much better however you dont need that much just enough to help keep the flute down. The base weighs about 20 pounds and is right where you need the weight pushing it in to the bottom. Its also a break away anchor so you dont need another rope setup to pull it from the bottom it already does that. This exact anchor is available at Sutter Marine in Yuba City price range is 40-80 depending on the weight you get. For an 18 foot aluminum the website suggests about a 25 pounder. You can also short anchor this as well. Which means you can drop about 3 to 1 scope and it holds awesome as well. I will pair it against any anchor out there bar none. I think Dimpala said Kittles in Colusa sells them as well. Plus on the website it lists the places in Chico that sell them. Just my two cents but I am sold.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

metalmouth
07-26-2005, 06:53 PM
2Shakes, that's twice you've been a great help. Anchoring my 21' dinghy in the wind has been a pretty big problem. You Da Man! ;D 8) ;D D95
Thanks for sharing and a pat on the back for our tuxedo draped friends!!!! :D ;D :D