PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger Ball Color?

metalmouth
07-22-2005, 10:44 AM
What is the best downrigger ball color. For Kokes the green ones seem to be the best. Mike 464 has a chrome shark that the Mac's attack. I need some feedback.

ITUKAWAL
07-22-2005, 10:59 AM
What is the best downrigger ball color. *For Kokes the green ones seem to be the best. Mike 464 has a chrome shark that the Mac's attack. I need some feedback.
MetalMouth, I might be way off base on this one, but, I don't believe that color makes i difference. Size, weight, shape and the way it cuts through the water is most important. I'm partial to the pancake weight personally, but, again I have and use 4 - 5 different weights in the color of the rainbow. Next time my 10 lb. pancake catches a monster mack I'll be the first to tetract this response.

metalmouth
07-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks Itukawal, the reason I asked is I was running black round finned 10lb. balls with holograpic tape on the sides and when I lost one :o I put on put on a chartruese, built the same way and noticed that the chartruese was getting more hits with kokes and macs. This hit ratio has continued for 15 trips so I know that it is more than the lucky pole syndrome. That made me wonder even more as I saw a post a while back where someone had taken some home made weights and painted them firetiger. Mikes seems to work great but I looked in my wallet and couldn't pry out $70.00 per weight. I fish alone alot and sometimes the lake monster grabs my balls. :-X 8)

ITUKAWAL
07-22-2005, 11:53 AM
I hear ya MM. Oddly enough we have those lake monsters down here too. I've made my contribution over the years. I do like the idea of chrome tape on black however. $70.00 whoaa !!

metalmouth
07-22-2005, 12:08 PM
The chrome tape/black are just the cheapo's any rigger ball and just add Luhr Jensen Holographic Tape. His looks like it was chromed in a bumper shop and is fish shaped. A $140.00 bill a pair is a lot of lures.

blue_chrush
07-22-2005, 11:54 PM
wow....and I thought the fish only ate the bait... :o :o ::)

the bait is the ticket, I don't want the fish anywhere
near my balls.....lol
there noisey and and the +/- field is not adjusted yet.. :P
the bait catch's the fish, worry about that I say....

but if it matters and its seems to catch fish....
then why not paint the balls with glow paint and or
attach a small glow stick to them to attrack them...

in the light spectrum red dyes at 15ft
then green only goes to 60ft
then you have purple down to 150ft
and blue is the last color to go at 200+ft
white is seen as a shadow or black item...
these are the facts.....you can decide

metalmouth
07-23-2005, 06:10 PM
I set up a test this morning with my cannon digitrolls. Both digitrolls were set up with the same electrical current and I set my auto stops at 4 similar depths between 28' and 40'. I placed my transducer on my front trolling motor so that I could get a jump on marked Kokes. When I would mark a herd of Kokes I would auto both downrigger balls, using exactly the same color hootchie into the fish depth zone. The chartreuse ball outfished the black, both with holographic silver tape, 2 to 1. I even switched dodgers, hootchies, and balls from side to side to see if this made a difference. Same results happened.

CHICKFISHING58
07-23-2005, 10:59 PM
MM,
Thanks for the info I'll have to try it ;)

SuperDave
07-24-2005, 02:35 PM
If you are convinced that color makes a difference, you may be interested in combining color and scent. *These trailblazer dr weights are hollow and can be filled with scent. *The scent is emitted through the wick.

http://a1460.g.akamai.net/f/1460/1339/6h/www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Pod/01/90/69/p019069ii01.jpg

northriver_tom
07-25-2005, 09:00 PM
metal....how far back is your lure from the ball....?

metalmouth
07-26-2005, 07:42 AM
I'm fishing 4' on Kokes including 4/0 Dodger with 6 to 8 inch leader to hootchie. *For Mac's I'm fishing 12 to 16 foot, including Flasher and Lure. I'm also running scent on my downrigger balls.