PDA

View Full Version : Boat insurance recommendations?

BassFooler
07-15-2005, 07:39 AM
???
Hey all-
Finally got to purchase a new fishing rig from the sale of our house- but now, I need to get insurance- does anybody have any recommended insurance companies that they feel comfortable recommending? I spent a couple bucks on the new boat, so I dont want some fly-by-night company-
Oh yeah...and I need to get insurance today!!
Thanks all-

Tight lines and screaming reels to all!

SuperDave
07-15-2005, 07:57 AM
I have Westmar Insurance, brokered through Western Marine in Stockton. I am in the process of a claim and they have been good up to this point.

Western Marine Insurance Services
4226 Coronado Avenue
Stockton, CA 95204

209/466-1413
800/633-3443
FAX 209/466-0260

dirtydan
07-15-2005, 08:41 AM
I go through BoatUS - (boatus.com). You become a member (entitled to rebates at West Marine) and you get free vessel assist (towing, etc) when you're on the water.

I've not heard a bad thing about them to date. I faxed them an application and was covered same day. Check it out.

-DD

BassFooler
07-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Hey- thanks guys- I really appreciate the input.

DD- I went with your rec. of BoatUS- $25/mo :o isnt as bad as I had anticipated...

BF

sellhomes2fish
07-15-2005, 01:40 PM
I've been using Progressive. Now, I have not made a claim but have some friends that use them and have without problems. Even my Farmer's Insurance agent suggested I get insurance through Progressive. www.progressive.com

fishkiller
07-15-2005, 06:52 PM
8)As a boat owner for over 30 yrs and have had westmar and boat us but by far proggressive has been the best by far. And the best part is you can buy direct on line no brokers and b.s.. ;) :o 8)

sashimi_express
07-15-2005, 07:14 PM
;D ;D Progressive. They have been great and even have disappearing deductables. ;D

BoiceJetGuy
07-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Boat U.S. was 50% or more cheaper than Progressive, Prudential, and Farmers when I called. My premium (full coverage is around $260 a year. All the others wanted
$500 or more.

drstressor
07-19-2005, 07:11 AM
I'll second Boat US. Great rates and they understand boats and the type of gear you lose if somebody steals everything. >:( They depreciate the value of the gear like all of the others, but I had an experience where an agent asked questions like "Didn't you have one of these on board?" I ended up getting nearly replacement value for the stolen gear.

If you have a West Marine card you can get Boat US insurance.

waterdog
07-19-2005, 09:26 AM
PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE- the price is very competitive(low), the coverage is great and the claim service (according to friends) is awesome. I compared 4 companies and Progressive had the lowest rates for the coverage I wanted.
Waterdog ;D

Silver_Streak
07-19-2005, 11:25 AM
I have Progressive Ins. So far no problems. Their rates seem reasonable. There are a few others out there that are good, as far as insurance companies go, but don't go to a company that you haven't heard of just because they are cheap! ;)

tdekens
07-19-2005, 03:45 PM
I found that USAA if you are eligible for membership is a great price around $240. But you would have to meet the membership quals i.e. be active/retire military or a relative thereof. www.usaa.com I carry it as a rider on my car/house insurance.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

TS5655
07-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Got a quote from BoatUS today. For they people who have them, do you get the premium plan or the basic plan? It is only $70 difference a year.

TS

FISHSTALKER
07-20-2005, 05:05 AM
Insurance is tricky and you need to shop around and know what you get for your money paid? I went with Progressive.

theRick
07-20-2005, 08:29 PM
For those of you with smaller boats check with your homeowner's policy. My 14' Gregor is covered on and off the water under my homeowner's insurance for no added cost. I don't remember the cut off but I think it was 25 hp or less to be covered.

Erreck
07-21-2005, 08:05 AM
* * For those of you with smaller boats check with your homeowner's policy. *My 14' Gregor is covered on and off the water under my homeowner's insurance for no added cost. *I don't remember the cut off but I think it was 25 hp or less to be covered.

Good point Rick!

I thought that my boat was covered as yours is "on and off the water" by my homeowners because my agent told me, "yeah, your boats covered". This, however, wasn't a whole truth. Mine's only covered as "personal property" and only covered while physically on my property. I'm S.O.L. anywhere else if something were to happen.

Bottom line. Don't assume anything when it comes to ins. covereage. Always read the fine print.

dirtydan
07-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Good point Rick!

I thought that my boat was covered as yours is "on and off the water" by my homeowners because my agent told me, "yeah, your boats covered". This, however, wasn't a whole truth. Mine's only covered as "personal property" and only covered while physically on my property. I'm S.O.L. anywhere else if something were to happen.

Bottom line. Don't assume anything when it comes to ins. covereage. Always read the fine print.

I'd add that you should probably check out the cost of insurance other than the coverage you may get with your homeowner's policy. If anything happened to my boat - I wouldn't hesitate to make a claim against my boat insurance policy. But - make a claim against you homeowner's policy for your boat - you may jeopardize your ability to renew your homeowner's insurance. Just a thought.
-DD