PDA

View Full Version : battery - expensive vs inexpensive

SuperDave
07-19-2005, 12:02 PM
For the guys that buy the expensive, how many years do they last? A lot of guys seem pretty addiment about the high dollar batteries. I thought that ALL batteries had a limited shelf life, 3 to 4 years. My kicker is my primary trolling motor so I generally use my electric 1/2 dozen times a year. For limited use, I'd much rather replace the less expensive batteries than the high dollar variety. They cost at least twice as much, do they last at least twice as long?

tdekens
07-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Hinrid, I am the same way. I opted for the Wallyworld ones. Costco if I remember right has some of the TOP rated batteries. I had one once and it was great. I beat the hell out of my boats and my deep cycles last about 5 years. The gel cell guys say theirs last around 5. If I had a ranger bass boat and trolled with it ALL the time I would get the gel. But I just cant justify the good use I get out of the wet cells. I use them for my trailer and boats. They are also only about $45 at Wallyworld. Get the one from Costco. Maybe someone with a consumer reports subscription online will see the ratings. I am sure that the Kirkland brand from Costco was a consumer reports best buy.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

skipper
07-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Hinrid, I've had several Costco marine batts. and had good service from all of them. 4-5 years is pretty normal for them. The secret to longevity for any batt. is to not let them sit around with a low charge. I charge mine as soon as possible after each trip, also don't over charge them. Over heating warps the plates and shortens the lifespan considerably. If you store them for long periods of time it's a good idea to give them a short charge occasionally to keep them fully charged. I've only tried one Walmart batt. and it didn't last all that long. ---fish hawk

SuperDave
07-19-2005, 07:18 PM
So far, all I'm feeling is the love of us cheap guys. Where's the gel guys?

drstressor
07-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Ok, I'll admit that I have a pair of horribly overpriced Optima Blue Tops in the boat. This hurts because I am of the cheap persuasion. Maybe even the horribly cheap persuasion. ;D

I got 5 year out of a pair of Interstate Deep Cycle wet cells. But I replaced them with the gel cells for one simple reason: I hate adding water to batteries. I had one blow up in a boat once, so I have an unnatural fear of the things. It's also very difficult to see the level of the water in wet cell batteries without pulling them out of their boxes, which are mounted on the floor under a shelf. And since I fear batteries, I avoid maintaining them. The lack of maintenance is why I went with the Optimas.

Having said this, I recently purchased a nice solution for filling the wet cell battery in my camper. The system is actually designed for boats and is called the Flow Rite Remote Battery Fill System.

http://www.campingworld.com/ts-cwi/images/products/primary/20000/27037w.jpg?wid=250&cvt=jpeg

I got the setup from Camping World. It replaces the battery caps with manifolds that allow you to attach a remote source of distilled water. You use a primer bulb to pump the water into the batteries and each individual cells stops filling once the water level gets above the plates. I like this setup so far.

If I knew about this little accessory last year, I would have saved a couple hundred bucks and gone with cheap wet cell batteries in the boat. Cheap is good. ;D

survivor
07-19-2005, 09:00 PM
;Dneat battery filler set up. At Camping World huh? How much did it cost?
I have used Everstarts from Walley World for years, can't beat them for price and longivity. Just my 2 cents.
Paul aka Survivor

drstressor
07-19-2005, 09:07 PM
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?prodID=4592&src=SRQB

sunracer1957
07-20-2005, 07:09 AM
When it comes to batteries you get what you pay for, the cheap one have thinner plates than the more expensive ones and all batteries have life cycles, and the more expensive ones because of the thicker plates will get more cycles, if you don't use them all the time you probley won't notice the difference but if your putting them through there paces then you will see the expensive ones will last longer..