PDA

View Full Version : loose rivets

tracker
07-18-2005, 08:23 PM
new to the board and found this great wealth of info section, any advise on repairing loose rivets on the bottom of my aluminum boat..drill them out and replace???dont know if im couragous enough for that...i saw some epoxy in the cabelas catalog you heat up with a propane tourch that looked interesting ..anyone try that...the leak is getting worse.probably 3 to 4 loose rivets i can turn by hand...thanks for any ideas.....TRACKER ???

sashimi_express
07-18-2005, 08:29 PM
;D Welcome to the nut house Tracker. I am sure someone will chime in on how to fix your problem. There is a whole lot of good folk with a lot of knowledge around here. ;D

TS5655
07-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Is their a Doc in the house?

;) ;)

TS

fence_man
07-18-2005, 08:54 PM
two hammers hold one on rivet tapping the rivet with the other

Oxbow
07-18-2005, 09:24 PM
If peening them tight as fence man suggested doesn't work, drill them out and replace them with pop rivets treated with a little RTV silicone, worked for me. Good Luck!

drstressor
07-18-2005, 10:12 PM
I've tightened them pretty much as fence_man described except that I used a special anvil-like tool designed for the purpose. 2 hammers or a hammer and metal block will work fine. Drilling and replacing a few rivets is not to hard. Replacing all of them would be ridiculous.

Oxbox, do pop rivets really hold up? They are much softer than the original rivets.

tracker
07-19-2005, 05:23 AM
good thoughts on the hammering but i can not get to the top of the rivet i have a sub flooring...i should have mectioned that...i tried J B weld but it knocked off in the water while running ...i thought of the pop rivets but they are a little light for the application....

SuperDave
07-19-2005, 06:37 AM
This topic gets brought up some what regularly. Other suggestions would be to pull floor boards and coat bottom with alum. roof coating or truck bed liner.

rfresema
07-19-2005, 11:39 AM
I have a similar problem with a rivet I can not get to the back side of. There is structure on the other side. I bought Alumiweld. I just received it and I haven't tried it yet. Not sure yet if I can do an overhead application (without having to flip the boat over).
If anyone of you has tried this product please chime in with your experience. Alumiweld at: http://virtual-adnet.com

Big Minnow

Oxbow
07-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Doc,

I did not have to replace enough to worry about losing strength but the ones I replaced held up for several years with no leaks. There is no way I would try a whole boat for the reasons you mentioned. Thanks for bringing this up so none of our sniffer group will think this is a major overhaul suggestion, it's not, it's just a way to replace a few to keep the boat dry. Bailing is not my favorite way to fish.

Oxbow
07-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Big Minnow,

I have used the alumiweld for other applications. Don't know if it will work for you but as I recall the material is thick enough that it should stick for an overhead application. Several thin coats are better than a thick one as the thick coat takes a good while to dry thoroughly. Good Luck!