PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Suggestions

Mulderken
07-07-2005, 05:08 PM
My buddy just picked up a small 14ft older boat last weekend and we took it out on the feather river just to test her out. We had no problems anchoring down there, but the current is nothing like the sac river. Well my buddy decided we were going to take it out on the sac river for a little night fishing. We launched at wards landing, not to far from meridian and we went up river about a mile around a bin and we decided to anchor down. So after tossing it in and we thought it had caught and was holding us still, but about a minute later we realized that we were drifting back down stream.

Not sure if maybe the anchor is to small or wrong type of anchor. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks....

sashimi_express
07-07-2005, 05:52 PM
??? Need more details. What type of anchor are you using? What weight are you using? How much chain are you using? How much rope did you let out? Let us know so we can offer some help. ;D

metalmouth
07-08-2005, 11:46 AM
On the last of page 3 is a good thread on anchors. It may be at the top of page 4 by the time you read this reply.

Silver_Streak
07-08-2005, 02:27 PM
I use a claw type anchor on the Sac river. It really holds well, sometimes too well! ??? Make sure with any anchor you must use six feet or so of chain to hold the anchor to the bottom. The type of anchor that I use is called a "Bruce" anchor. They can be found at West Marine, and they have different sizes depending on your boat. Hope this helps.

Brettski
07-09-2005, 02:53 PM
What they say and I've found true is that the chain has alot to do with anchoring.The chain needs to be 1/2 the length of your boat.It doesn't have to be battleship heavy chain,3/8" is plenty.(20'boat 10' of chain etc.)Since I learned this I have not had a problem. Brettski

basil
07-10-2005, 04:53 PM
The biggest mistake people make anchoring is not enough line. You need minimum 5 times as much line as depth. If there is a good current or wind make that 7 times.

Rule of thumb is to have chain equal to your boat length from your anchor to your anchor line. You can use less and do okay. You can cheat by putting a weight a few feet away from the anchor and get the same effect.

Second biggest problem boaters have is the wrong anchor. Anchoring in sand takes a completely different anchor that anchoring in rock.

tdekens
07-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Mulderken I have a 15 pound "The digger anchor". I for one say after using alot or did I say losing alot of anchors there is only one for me. A breakaway plow anchor. Look at all the boats on the sac there by wards. They either have breakaway plows or claws. The preferred amount is 7-1 ratio. So if you are in 20 feet of sac river you need 140 feet of line. I would say half to the full length of the boat. The small aluminum could get away with half easily. Also chetco_indian taught me a neat trick to add to an anchor. At the bottom of the anchor attach your chain. Then, zip tie it to the top. When you get stuck under a tree you can pull it the other way from up river an break the zip tie off and pull it from the bottom. Doesnt really matter what side it lays on because it will still be close enough to the bottom end to pull from the bottom if it comes across the other side. I spent 85 bucks on the digger anchor. Dont care what they say it needs chain. Might not need chain for a small aluminum like that. There is alot of rock and tree where you are talking about. Nothing sticks for me there either. If you find a local store with breakaway plows let me know.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

Silver_Streak
07-14-2005, 07:27 AM
TwoShakes., your right about the zip tie trick. I now use it after buying three anchors, two of which I lost. I guess you learn the hard way! A guy at West Marine showed me that trick about a year and a half ago. If I had a way to draw a picture, I would for those of you wondering what TwoShakes. and I are talking about. Usually, there are two holes on the anchor shaft. Attach the chain to the front hole (closest to the claw part of the anchor)and zip tie the chain to the hole at the end of the shaft (the hole that the chain would normally be attached to). When the anchor gets stuck, you pull the anchor in the opposite direction that you were anchored. As you put pressure on the anchor, the zip tie will break and the anchor will pull free. Hope this helps out a little! :)

CHICKFISHING58
07-17-2005, 09:35 PM
a buddy of mine put a cable to my anchor but I was told by a different one that it wont hold as well as the chain so when I was at Sac I went to West Marine and got a 10ft chain and I have 150 feet of robe that should hold my 14ft I think :-/