PDA

View Full Version : FRUSTRATED? Want to catch salmon?

CaptSalmon
03-16-2008, 07:52 AM
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/4841/image2ad1.th.jpg (http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image2ad1.jpg)

;D *If you really need to catch salmon, try Alaska Trophy Safaris in the Ayakulik River on Kodiak Island. *On this trip I caught 60 chromer kings! *As you could guess, it's primarily catch & release. *If you're a dyed in the wool ocean fisherman, try the fishery at Whale Pass Lodge. You get huge halibut thrown in there. *Don't cry in your beer because you can't catch salmon, you just have to go to where they are. *It's terrible to say but perhaps a 2 to 3 year closed ocean season will finally get peoples attention to cure the real problem, reduced water flow, and ill conceived dams that need to be removed!!

Fort_Bragger
03-16-2008, 08:26 AM
I know I'm frustrated, and I would guess that most of us are too. *I'm planning a trip to Alaska. *I was in Kodiak in 1969-70. *I hope to go back again. *There was just one road out of town then, that went to the radar station. *Kodiak has some huge tides, and Salmon would turn each bay dark at low tide. *It looked like black ink from a distance. *When high tide came the "Ink" would flow across the shallow mouths of every creek and river. *Literally tens of thousands of Salmon were darting from the beaches to the creeks. *It was something hard to believe if you haven't seen it yourself. *If you read CptDarel's post of the history of California, it was like that here at one time too. *Makes you wonder huh?

Berryessa Kid
03-17-2008, 07:37 AM
When high tide came the "Ink" would flow across the shallow mouths of every creek and river. Literally tens of thousands of Salmon were darting from the beaches to the creeks.

Oh I wish I could see that!! 8-)

Hi_Tide
03-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Some of us w/o a lot of time and $'s might have to stay home & cry in our beer.
Hint: Vancouver Island's closer & cheaper than AK & will have excellent salmon fishing.

abdiver12
03-19-2008, 04:51 AM
If you're in Kodiak, try the Buskin River too near the coast guard base. From around June-August, the river is literally chock full of sockeye salmon and dolly varden. The sockeyes I caught from there were the most delicious fish I've ever tasted and all you need to do is cast from shore.

CaptSalmon
03-19-2008, 05:54 AM
;D I know what you mean about the Buskin. We used to fly into Kodiak from our Reserve base in Chicago, and walk to the Buskin. You have to be there when the run in in though because the fish tend to go right up. The last time I fished the Ayakulik we stayed at the former Buskin River Inn for an RON. Management had a sign at the desk warning people that several bears were currently fishing along the stream too. With brush all around you, you wouldn't see them until you were right on top of them. At least at the Ayakulik there's no trees, only scrub, and you generally get a good warning. Most of the bears go somewhere else when you make yourself known. I have some pictures of some "little ones" that crossed in front of us on the other side of the river. They were only 250 to 300lbs. They were big enough for my son and I!!!

abdiver12
03-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Never saw any bears during my time there thank Gawd! I've seen some photos of bear attacks in Alaska that would make your skin crawl. By the way Capt, how's your supply of abalone shells coming along? Manage to make alot of lures/spoons during the winter? :)

Toxic_Waste
03-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Seems like I will have to be one of the stay-at-home beer criers... me and everybody else who can't afford to travel out of the state or country to fish for salmon because all our money is being used for boat payments and harbor fees, etc. :D

Reddingfisherman
03-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Sadly enough, the best "ocean style" fishing for king salmon in California this year will be fishing for landlocked kings in Shasta, New Melones, etc. They may be only a few pounds, but they put up a good fight on light tackle and you can keep 5.

The collapse of the Central Valley salmon stocks is pretty sad for all CA salmon anglers. But look at the bright side, San Joaquin farmers are getting lots of subsidized water and their big bales of cotton are making their way to Asia as we read this. The Mercedes dealers in Fresno are all pretty happy too!