PDA

View Full Version : salmon this weekend

skunk-monkey
06-04-2007, 03:02 PM
I have about 18 hours between friday evening and sat afternoon that I can possibly scoot out to the coast for some salmon. It'll be my only chance for about a month at least, so I want to try Bodega (I'm in Roseville). I have not fished out of Bodega before and will be using my boat (17 foot Tracker). Provided the weather is cooperating, how is the launch there? Should I arrive the night before and camp out in line, if that's allowed, or does it move pretty quickly? Places to get bait/advice/extra gear?

I've heard Bodega can be moody and a little more dangerous than other spots on the coast. I have experience fishing the ocean but what what should I be mindful of at Bodega, specifically, if I'm able to get out there this weekend? Thanks!

JonnyP
06-04-2007, 03:37 PM
There'a probably no need to camp out, it can get busy on an opener or when there's a really hot bite. I usually go up the night before, get there about 9pm and snooze in my car at the ramp to get going early in the morning. There have been occasions where I've waited almost an hour to launch.

17' could be a little sporty, but if it's flat you should be okay, great thing about Bodega is you can catch salmon right there at the whistle bouy and rocks and lings right there on the reef in front of the head.

The forecast right now is:
THU THROUGH SAT
NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT.
NW SWELL 6 TO 8 FT AND SW 2 FT. PATCHY FOG.

I wouldn't be out in your boat this weekend, anything over 3-6 wth a foot of wind is going to be pretty unpleasant.

$0.10

rlammi
06-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Yes it can be very sporty at times ,and whe nthey throw in the patchy fog ;) you never know ,be carfull out there if you o head out .
Ron

scottfree
06-06-2007, 08:12 PM
DON'T WASTE YOU TIME AT BODEGA, THE HOGS ARE AT FORT BRAGG LITTLE OVER 3 HOUR DRIVE FROM SACTO, GO TO FORTBRAGGFISHING.COM, MAKE THE EXTRA DRIVE AND CATCH A BIG FISH! I'LL BE OUT ON MY 18' CRESTLINER SAT. SUNDAY MY BE UNFISHABLE!

skunk-monkey
06-07-2007, 03:46 PM
thanks you guys. I'll keep an eye on conditions. I've fished Ft Bragg but it's a little too far for a quick turnaround trip...it's more like four hours from where I live. Might just end up settling for a lake if the ocean doesn't cooperate.

fishenrick
06-07-2007, 08:54 PM
DON'T WASTE YOU TIME AT BODEGA, THE HOGS ARE AT FORT BRAGG LITTLE OVER 3 HOUR DRIVE FROM SACTO, GO TO FORTBRAGGFISHING.COM, MAKE THE EXTRA DRIVE AND CATCH A BIG FISH! I'LL BE OUT ON MY 18' CRESTLINER SAT. SUNDAY MY BE UNFISHABLE!
There are some pretty nice size fish coming out of Bodega, from the way it sounds Fort Bragg has slowed a little, report from John from Noyo is they went out today 11 passengers 9 fish biggest 26lbs.
read two rteports from 6 pack boats out of bodega to day full limits to 25 lbs, flip a coin, I would say Bodega weather permitting,since it is closer, the bite has to be off the hook for me to drive another two hours,love Fort Bragg but it is a long drive.

lapriester
06-08-2007, 04:45 AM
With a 17' Tracker you'd be best to not waste your time or perhaps your life based on the forecast this weekend. I have a 20' Trophy, live close by and I'm staying home unless there is a huge change in the forecast for wind and sea conditions.

Don't travel that far and feel compelled to go out only to never be able to get around the corner. If you must go out go uphill early and troll back with the wind on your tail. With a stiff wind forecast the last thing you should do in a 17' boat is go downhill and face the wind back to the jetty :o

Larry 8-)

sethonious
06-08-2007, 08:37 AM
I wouldn't try Bodega in a 17' boat this weekend. My dad and I are hemming and hawing about going out in a 30' boat on Saturday. He has been there all week and Blow-dega is living up to its reputation. We are going to try to skit out and be back before 1100 when the winds have been kicking up. He went out on Wednesday and said that it was downright nasty. My folks have the bruises to attest to the poor conditions.

65whaler
06-08-2007, 10:34 PM
i wouldn't go out on a 17' boat either ... oh wait, i think i am ... on sunday.
* * * * * * *;D
i've been comparing the forecast to a visual inspection of ocean beach and think they're throwing "15-25 knots" around like the lord's name. yes, it blew a gale on tuesday, but it's been mellowing since and today/friday looked very fishable all day.

don't listen to me though. be safe. doesn't sound like the fish are close to shore, and sounds like they're hard to find.

[i'm still going though] * *[smiley=helmut.gif] * *[smiley=swimmingfish.gif] * *[smiley=clown.gif]

fishenrick
06-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Go getem whaler, hope you knockem dead

sethonious
06-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Man it was rough this weekend. The day started with a wind coming out of the south so we ran out to the creek reef for rockfish before the wind kicked up. Trolling all day for salmon would have been really tough.

jbguzzi
06-11-2007, 10:11 AM
We also gave it a go for salmon, started to go out by the wistle, but but it was just a bit much, Went to the outer bay tried by the esteros, but to no avail, went out to tomalas point for about an hour, picked up some lings for dinner.. We were crabbin too, got a couple of dungees and we found a 4 ft leapord shark in one of the traps! Pretty funny.

One thing that was noteworty (or not) is that there were one, or more whales in the outer bay feeding on krill, when we pulled up the crab traps we saw some them all over the deck and mark some huge bait balls shallow, like 60 ft. We did troll around for a while. I think the whles would have scared any salmon there. Oh well.

65whaler
06-11-2007, 02:07 PM
ummm ... for the record, i will eat humble pie and admit that i stayed inside tomales bay on sunday. the forecast on friday looked a lot better than it did on saturday. frothy white is not how i take my tea.
;)

Capt._Delta
06-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Doesn't sound like humble pie to me. Sounds more like a smart fisherman that knows how to fish another day. I won't be back down til I know the Tomales entrance is real friendly. I've had one experience with a sneaker wave and want to make it my last.