PDA

View Full Version : Salmon fishing allowed 4/1/06 up to 3 miles out...

fishingphil
03-15-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm a little nervous about putting the word out on this but salmon fishing will start 4/1/06 within state waters up to three miles off shore.

I beg you guys write letters, send emails, make phone calls, this is only a sliver of what should be allowed!!! We need a true season not just some little hand out!

News Release: For Immediate Release Mar. 15, 2006
DFG Will Open Ocean Recreational Fishing Season April 1
Pacific Fisheries Management Council Decision Enacts Limitations

Contacts: Scott Barrow, DFG Senior Biologist, (916) 651-7670;
Steve Martarano, DFG Office of Communications, (916) 654-5866

The California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) will open the state’s recreational fishery between Point Arena and Point Sur as scheduled on April 1. However, a recent decision by the Ocean Pacific Fishery Management Council (PFMC) closed the state’s commercial salmon fisheries and also limits the recreational season. The PFMC is scheduled to make final recommendations that could impose further restrictions April 3-7 during federal meetings in Sacramento.

“The bottom line is we need to ensure healthy stocks in the future,” said DFG Director Ryan Broddrick. “Returns over the past three years have shown low numbers of naturally spawning Klamath River Chinook salmon.”

Following the PFMC federal action March 10, California’s commercial fishing regulations will automatically conform, closing the state’s commercial salmon fishery. The PFMC also closed the sport fishery in federal waters between Point Arena (below Fort Bragg) and Point Sur (south of Monterey), however, because the PFMC is not set to make the final recommendations until the federal meetings, California’s sport fishery in state waters (shore to three miles) will open as scheduled April 1.

The PFMC decision is subject to action by the California Fish and Game Commission, whose jurisdiction covers the sport salmon fishery in state waters. The Commission may consider an in-season emergency closing of the Central California sport fisheries to conform with federal action during its upcoming meeting April 7 in Monterey.

The PFMC rulings were based on updated spawning numbers, and are intended to limit any further impacts to Klamath fall Chinook salmon off the entire West Coast.

Other details of note:
Recreational
• For Northern California, the recreational salmon fishery between Horse Mountain (above Shelter Cove) and Point Arena, which opened in February, will remain open in federal and state waters.
• In Southern California, the recreational salmon fishery below Point Sur will open on April 1 in federal and state waters.
Commercial
• California’s commercial fishery was previously scheduled to open for the season on March 15.
• The emergency closure of the commercial fishery is in effect for all ocean waters from Point Sur north to the California-Oregon border, and includes more than 1,500 commercial boats (trollers) permitted through the DFG. This fishery will remain closed until further in-season review and notice by the PFMC.
• The National Marine Fishery Service is considering federal disaster relief funding for West Coast salmon-related fishing businesses impacted by the commercial closures. California’s salmon resource (commercial and sport) is valued between $44 million (PFMC estimate) and $150 million (industry estimate).

Alternatives to allow commercial and recreational fishing for healthy Central Valley stocks that demonstrate no impact to Klamath stocks may be considered by the PFMC as well as by the Fish and Game Commission at their upcoming meetings, said Scott Barrow, a DFG senior biologist.

Public comments concerning both California’s commercial and recreational salmon fisheries will be accepted at a public hearing scheduled for March 28 at the Flamingo Hotel in Santa Rosa. The PFMC will also accept public comments for the 2006 season at its April 3-7 meeting at the Doubletree Hotel in Sacramento.

“In summary at this point, state and federal waters are closed to commercial fishing; sport fishing is closed in federal waters between Point Arena and Point Sur; and the state waters between Point Arena and Point Sur will open on April 1 while the Commission considers options during its upcoming meeting in Monterey,” Barrow said. “The sport fishing in federal and state waters for the Fort Bragg area will remain open and below Point Sur will open on April 1.”

For additional information on the PFMC ruling and up-coming meetings, log on to www.pcouncil.org or call the Ocean Salmon Hotline at 1-800-662-9825. To obtain a copy of the PFMC press release on the closures and other emergency regulations affecting the West Coast, log on to www.pcouncil.org/newsreleases/pr031306_sal.pdf.

For information on California’s salmon fisheries in state waters, log on to www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/oceansalmon.html#recreational or call the Ocean Salmon Regulations Hotline at (707) 576-3429.

-Phil

Mickey_Thomas
03-15-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm just a little confused Phil, check out all the other threads saying that it's closed..........who are we supposed to believe? :o

triggerfish
03-15-2006, 08:00 PM
mickey,I just read it on the d.f.g. news relice! fish and game is getting a lot of angry letters. It is working guys!!! Keep writing the letters!! write to the FEDS now!!!

sokoo
03-15-2006, 08:04 PM
How do you know you are within 3 miles? GPS tells you the distance from a waypoint not shore. Also, I guess not many places have salmon close to shore in early season, for the few that do, install airbags all around your boat when trolling in the crowd.... ;)

TSL
03-15-2006, 08:05 PM
personally i belive the df&g web site
but nobody on this board seems to care so i deleted my posts
i thought there were people on this board that would look things up for them selves and then respond

aw-well

you all belive the other posts
i will belive what ca df&g has just posted on their web site

good nite to all of you

Team Sheryl Lee

blue_chrush
03-15-2006, 08:25 PM
dfg hasn't called the guy from coastside back yet but yes
it looks like its open inside the
3mile limit by the wording.....
inside 3 miles is plenty of room for me to get fish....
the soquel hole and 3 trees area are only 2-3 miles out...
that would be fine with me.....
moss is even closer in the canyon....

we will have to wait and see......

CaptBrandon
03-15-2006, 08:48 PM
And no one would belive me. 8-)

Know_Excuses
03-15-2006, 09:08 PM
I believed you all along ;D And it wasnt lost on me when everyone and there brother posted the season would NOT open april 1st and you quietly stuck to your guns sayng there will be an april 1st opener ;D Good job.Hey TSL why do you have a new account??

fishingphil
03-15-2006, 10:22 PM
This is the sort of reaction that I was afraid of. People thinking that I was full of it! This is by no means a reprieve from fighting for what is right; for this years fishing season but; what is needed to help the klamath!!! One of me best friends is a hoopa indian! He's been fighting this fight with out the full support of the commercial and sport fisherman long enough!!!! The salmon are part of their culture just the same as Jesus is part of mine!!! At the end of the day it is unfortunate that it took this extreme measure to wake up the silent majority (which seems to be the norm in today's politic's)! We get to fish sort of; don't settle for this because we are even at this step getting skrewed!!!!
-Phil

blue_chrush
03-15-2006, 10:25 PM
And no one would belive me. 8-)

you are one lucky *******.........
you better go buy a slue of lotto tickets
while your luck is still good.......lol

65whaler
03-16-2006, 12:27 AM
after this roller coaster, i'll believe there's some legal salmon fishing when i see my dodger disappear into the murky green below. :o

Dan Bacher
03-16-2006, 09:34 AM
I was at the Legislative Forum at the State Capitol yesterday when I got the news about the salmon opener from DFG Director Ryan Broddrick and Deputy Director Sonke Mastrup. The ocean salmon season from Point Arena to Point Sur will open as planned in state waters - 3 miles and less - on April 1. However, fishing in federal waters - beyond the 3 mile line - will remain closed.

This salmon season process has indeed been a wild roller coaster!

Broddrick and Mastrup said the state's regulatory process prohibits the state from enforcing the closure requested by the Bush administration in state waters on April 1 because the opener is already in the state regulations booklets and any change has to go through the California Fish and Game Commission and then the State Office of Administrative Law. The Commission doesn't meet until April 6-7 - both days when the PFMC is meeting. The PFMC is planning to make a final recommendation on salmon options on April 7, probably after the Commission meeting is already over.

sokoo
03-16-2006, 10:58 AM
inside 3 miles is plenty of room for me to get fish....
the soquel hole and 3 trees area are only 2-3 miles out...
that would be fine with me.....
moss is even closer in the canyon....

If my map is right, 3 trees is just within 3 nautical miles, but soquel hole is at least 5 miles from shore. Only the tip of the canyon at Moss landing is within 3 miles. How many salmon will be at that tip and how many boats will be trolling there.....

CaptBrandon
03-16-2006, 11:27 AM
There's plenty of salmon to be caught within three miles, i caught numerous salmon last year on accident drifting for halibut one mile or less. Plus if you go to fort bragg area there's no limits.

CenCoast_Angler
03-16-2006, 01:02 PM
So...I am still wondering: What the heck does the putrid Klamath River have to do with my salmon off the Soldiers Club in Monterey Bay?
I think the d-FAG is using a broken measuring stick.
PK

blue_chrush
03-16-2006, 09:56 PM
[quote author=blue crush link=1142478298/0#5 date=1142483110]

If my map is right, 3 trees is just within 3 nautical miles, but soquel hole is at least 5 miles from shore. Only the tip of the canyon at Moss landing is within 3 miles. How many salmon will be at that tip and how many boats will be trolling there.....

* and heres the way it works guys......
The 3 mile state waters line is from the coast outside any bay. Draw a line across the mouth of the bay and then out 3 miles and you are out fishing as far as you are allowed.
My GPS has a line depicting the state line

and that means there is plenty of room at the soquel hole and other
spots to fish with this formula.......

http://www.freephotoserver.com/v001/blue_crush/3_mile_map_re_sized_again.jpg *

knof
03-20-2006, 10:58 AM
You are on the right tract Blue Crush (Steve I think).
Yes there should be pleanty of room in Monterey Bay for everyone to fish under these regulations, even the charters, who some think they own the waters, heheheeee!

Keith

gone fishin
03-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Great map Steve,

I'll be there as well, from your map there should be plenty of room to fish. We caught alot of fish within that line last year.

Good luck...Ron

TSL
03-20-2006, 08:14 PM
it does look like most of us will have some decent areas to fish along with the 3 miles around the farallons if it is true
and for me at bodega the fish we caught on opening sunday and monday were within the 3 miles between the head and salmon creek

my only concern is "are we getting the bone"

oh and by the way hello ron :D

TSL