PDA

View Full Version : Confirmation of Salmon Opener Cancellation

Dan Bacher
03-13-2006, 04:15 PM
There has been a lot of needless argument on this board about the cancellation of the salmon opener on April 1. The recreational salmon season from Point Arena to Point Sur will be delayed until May 1, at the urging of the Bush administration. If any season is adopted, the National Marine Fisheries Service said that an emergency rule would have to be approved.

I can assure you that Bob Franko of the Coastside Fishing Club is completely right about the cancellation of the April 1st opener. Coastside Members Darrell Ticehurst, a member of the Pacific Fishery Management Council, and Dan Wohlford were both at the meeting in Seattle - and reported to the Coastside Board of Directors and on the coastside website about the bad news.

Bob Strickland of United Anglers of California, Jim Martin of the Recreational Fishing Alliance, Zeke Grader of Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen's Associations, and Roger Thomas of the Golden Gate Fishermen's Association all confirmed the cancellation of the April 1 opener. Unless something dramatic happens - like getting a really savvy *lawyer to file a temporary restraining order or mobilizing 1,000,000 angry salmon fishermen to march on the White House - our fishing season won't open on April 1.

If any season at all is adopted at all, NOAA Fisheries has directed the Council *to model seasons based on impacting no more 100 Klamath fish for the entire fishery, according to Roger Thomas, a member of the PFMC.

The Council developed three options for the recreational season to be voted on during the council's meeting at the Doubletree Inn in Sacramento on April 7.

1. the same season as 2005 except for the closure of the fishery south of *Point Arena in April.
2. A 50 percent reduction of last year's season.
3. No recreational fishing at all from Cape Falcon to Point Sur.

The closure is supposely designed to protect Klamath River chinooks. However, this is a very hollow argument by the Bush administration, since the destruction of the river's fishery is the direct result of a change in water policy by the administration in 2001 that diverts water to subsidized farmers in the Klamath Basin at the expense of the river's salmon, steelhead and other species. The result was the fish kills of 2002 and the deaths of thousands of juvenile salmon through disease spurred by warm water every spring and summer since 2002.

The change in water policy was engineered by Karl Rove, Bush's chief political advisor, to scratch up votes and campaign money from agribusiness to get an Oregon Republican Senator reelected. Because of this dirty political move, recreational, commercial and tribal fishermen will have to suffer this year and for years to come.

I repeat... our current crisis has nothing to do with overfishing, but has everything to do with horrific management of the Klamath River by the Department of Interior. Gale Norton, the Secretary of Interior who resigned last week after a disgraceful tenure, was the one who turned on the spigots so water could wastefully overflow in the fields of the Klamath Basin while fish died in low, warm water conditions.

The only good news is that the Fort Bragg-Shelter Cove area salmon season will remain open in March and April, since the PFMC determined impacts upon Klamath stock to be extremely minimal during those months.

exocet
03-13-2006, 05:49 PM
And I thought Bush was a sportsman, what a joke!! At least we have Ft Brag and Shelter Cove for a few months. To bad March and April are usually the windiest big swell months. The impact of this is going to be huge. Party boats, bait shops, marinas...The list goes on and on.

Jan_from_Humboldt
03-14-2006, 09:36 AM
>>>The change in water policy was engineered by Karl Rove, Bush's chief political advisor, to scratch up votes and campaign money from agribusiness to get an Oregon Republican Senator reelected. Because of this dirty political move, recreational, commercial and tribal fishermen will have to suffer this year and for years to come.

I repeat... our current crisis has nothing to do with overfishing, but has everything to do with horrific management of the Klamath River by the Department of Interior. Gale Norton, the Secretary of Interior who resigned last week after a disgraceful tenure, was the one who turned on the spigots so water could wastefully overflow in the fields of the Klamath Basin while fish died in low, warm water conditions. <<<

This crap is enough to turn a Republican into a Democrat. [smiley=angry.gif]

exocet
03-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Heard that Jan! I emailed Bush about a month ago regarding all the fraud going on with the FEMA funds. I went to email him yesterday regarding the Klamath and his email address has been removed from the whitehouse.gov website. Go figure. If anyone wants to email him its president@whitehouse.gov Let him know what you think about his decissions regarding the Klamath.

Jan_from_Humboldt
03-14-2006, 10:38 AM
This will get you there too

http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

In those other links I posted was an article that said back when Clinton was Prez they were concerned about a die off and tried to get him to act too, so we can blame Clinton for this too?? [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=rotfl.gif] [smiley=rotfl.gif] [smiley=rotfl.gif] [smiley=rotfl.gif]

God I need to get out and go fishing.

65whaler
03-14-2006, 05:10 PM
i'm finally sick to speechless.

predator
03-14-2006, 05:20 PM
*Tbe Bush administration does not care about the salmon fishermen. *He already got his votes when the Kalamath water was diverted to the farmers in 2002. *I say, *BOYCOTT the KALAMATH FARMERS products to show our VOTE by our dollars, $$$$$$$$$ !!! * Don't vote for congressmen who are not environment friendly for the Salmon!!!

*predator

ghostfish_slayer
03-14-2006, 05:47 PM
grow your own produce..don't buy any more potatoes..look on the bright side..when more of these corn fuel powered vehicles come out.then the west coast will be supporting the fuel needs of the nation also..

fishermen_chris
03-14-2006, 07:01 PM
well we could adopt the they can't catch us all policy ;D
since there aren't many fish going to the klamath this year what are the odds of catching one heading that direction. The fish and game needs to be brought down and have real people from the private sector run things. We can't do any worse

Ikan_Mas
03-14-2006, 07:37 PM
I think the private sector (i.e. farmers using subsidized water) is already running things. Thats the problem.

predator
03-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Nice of the Bush Admin and the fish and game let us know after we bought our fishing license!! We all should get a refund for the salmon fishing we could not do because of their mismanagement of salmon and steelhead habitat! BOYCOTT the KLAMATH FARMERS who reciever the 2002 diverted water!!!

predator

exocet
03-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Guys, obviously we're all totally pissed off about the salmon situation. We HAVE to go to the upcoming meeting in Santa Rosa. We've gotta pack this place like sardines and let them have it like an army recruiter at UC Berkeley. Here's the info:
Tuesday
March 28, 2006
Flamingo Hotel
Flamingo Ballroom
2777 Fourth Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95405
(707) 545-8530
starts at 7pm

CaptBrandon
03-15-2006, 06:46 PM
I agree with the boycott idea, the problem is it dosent matter if you stop buying the farmers produce all that will happen is they will get a nice check from guess who=YOU! All the farmers that can't make a profit are subsidized (check the spelling on that one) by us the tax payers. If you really knew what the farmers get these days you would grow your own produce and throw rocks at all the farmers you see. Some farmers havent turned a profit (on paper) in years yet get hundreds of thousands of dollars to stay afloat. But if we were to start a topic on how f-d up our system is we would all self combust.