PDA

View Full Version : NO Salmon Opener!!!!!!!!!!!!

SwimswithFishes
03-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi All,

Bob Franco just posted on Coastside about the meetings in Seattle regarding salmon season. They have just conluded their meetings in Seattle. Basically...

The April 1st opener is cancelled.

It will be more important than ever now to mail those letters and plan to attend the final meetings in Sacramento on the first week of April.

Keep praying!

Fishquest
03-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Coastside has reps at the meetings and has been right on top of this with daily reports. Everything they've reported so far has been on the money (except they thought we'd actually have an April opener). Do you have info from today's meeting that shows that this is not true?

SwimswithFishes
03-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Coastside has Darrel Ticehurst in the front lines at all these meetings. The meeting ended earlier today That is how this info got to Bob Franco and now to you. * As PFMC states on their website...results of the meeting will be posted on Mar 13 so there is no info on the pccouncil site regarding the outcome. *FCD....check your facts b4 you start accusing others of stirring people up! *We are all on the same side here. *I have a clean towel if yu want to wash the mud off your face.

From Bob Franco:
The Council took official action and closed down the month of April. It will not open the 1st.
They moved all options onto the April meeting in Sacramento.

This is where Coastside will rent the busses, buy lunch and ask you to go for a ride with us.

I believe this is really going to come down to what the Fed's will permit. Darrell will be returning tonight we will shift our efforts to Washington DC now I believe.

There will; be an emergency BOD meeting to ratchet up the campaign color brochures etc to sign and send to designated people.

I will be waiting for Darrell and Dan's post summarizing what happened.

--------------------
Thanks for your club support. Our fishery is too important not to care.

Bob Franko

Fishquest
03-10-2006, 04:34 PM
It's not F & G's decision, it's PFMC's; what makes you think somebody answering phones in Sacto know more about it than the people in the PFMC meetings??? :-?

CaptBrandon
03-10-2006, 04:55 PM
I didn't call sac and i'm done arguing this thread, there has been no official closure of any season for salmon as of yet, bob franco is not OFFICIAL and unless you have some other info, we'll have to wait till
the 13th. [smiley=foottap.gif]

ghostfish_slayer
03-10-2006, 05:17 PM
there are not enough wardens to enforce those bs. regs.besides they would have to prove we are not fishing for halibut or sea bass..he he at 40 pulls.they all eat the same...go fish..

Fishbutt21
03-10-2006, 05:36 PM
the last time I checked C.D.F.G. was writing the tickets and if they say we can fish then thats what I am doing ;D

g_whiz
03-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Please join the Coastsiders attending the April meeting in Sacramento. For more information, please visit the Coastsider's website.

Your assistance is need to save the 2006 salmon fishing season.

Thanks, from a fellow Coastsider.

g_whiz
03-10-2006, 06:19 PM
I just got off the phone with f&g when i posted and they said no decision was made.

SWF I checked my facts your going off hearsay, keep your towel! [smiley=boxing.gif]

The last update on the PFMC website was 3/3/06; I believe today is 3/10. They probably won't update it until Monday, which is 3/13; just like the the posting says....

CaptBrandon
03-10-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm not tring to pick on anyone here, this whole subject hits home for me as well as anyone else in the buisness. We all want this to blow over and people to continue to plan their trips as we don't believe it wil happen or affect sport fisherman, bad news for comercial guys.
You have to realize many people book their trips in advance, i've had trips booked six months in advance. If someone reads "SALMON SEASON OFFICIALY CLOSED" they might start making other arrangments and nobody even franco has any idea what will happen. The economic impact alone is just stupid ,there's no way salmon season will be closed.

This hits home for me because i'm looking for our third boat right now and are planning on hiring two guides to run our other two boats inland and I will run the big boat out of berkley or bodega. Salmon season is very huge in terms of a charter captain's yearly wages, and a closure would run alot of people out of buisness. I would have to come up with a new buisness plan, might not pencil out and not go thru with it thus not hiring anybody so there's two jobs there. Until dfg says salmon season is closed all i ask is to tread lightly, or should i say "thread lightly." ;D

Mickey_Thomas
03-10-2006, 06:43 PM
This is guys livelyhoods in the balance, please keep this in mind when posting such a topic, maybe a few question marks behind your title would be better, just a suggestion ::) there's way to much money on the line to start a panic :-/

SwimswithFishes
03-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Understood your sentiments FCD. *Many of us here have or do make their liviing somehow from fishing. *But we are all fishermen here and the flow of inside information especially from Coastside Fishing Club on political matters regarding our rights to fish is pretty dang reliable information for us all to know about.

I honestly hope I did stir the pot a bit to get even just a few more people to send those letters and emails to the feds. *If our voice is not heard on this one (remember we will soon have a 10 inch slot limit on sturgeon), no one is going to be able to fish much let alone be able to make a living from it.

PS.....I just signed a deal to buy a boat up in Washington today. *Think I'm happy about all this? This issue does not just affect those that make a living from the water. *We all have our different investments in fishing and have a right to know even if its nothing more than scuttlebutt. Sorry Mickey. I'll use softer words next time to tell the same story.

Nuff said. Please send more letters.

Mickey_Thomas
03-10-2006, 07:12 PM
SALMON SEASON IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!

The April 1st opener is cancelled
This statement alone seems to dictate that it's a done deal, a lot of guys who might write letters will put them away because you posted that it's a done deal. It's not a done deal, keep the letters coming, emails too. Coastside is a class act, but scare tactics isn't. Just my opinion, but I've written my letters

blue_chrush
03-10-2006, 07:50 PM
heres the proof.......read it and understand it.....ITS CLOSED

The Council took official action and closed down the month of April. It will not open the 1st.

They moved all options onto the April meeting in Sacramento.

This is where Coastside will rent the busses, buy lunch and ask you to go for a ride with us.

I believe this is really going to come down to what the Fed's will permit. Darrell will be returning tonight we will shift our efforts to Washington DC now I believe.

There will; be an emergency BOD meeting to ratchet up the campaign color brochures etc to sign and send to designated people.

I will be waiting for Darrell and Dan's post summarizing what happened.

--------------------

Bob Franko

I'M not going to bash anyone.....
but where were all you when I posted have you sent letters....
coastside had lawyers working around the clock on this matter....
and I saw no one posting about it, *oh they can't do that.......

they just did......

so now for real and theres no fishing for april and I'm telling you
that it could be the whole season.........
this is not to say that even if they had a millon letters they might have
changed there minds, but we have to work togather now more than ever..
this is serious.......
I said it befor, *if you fish for any kind of fish we need to ban togather
and fight like hell or owning a boat is gonna be worthless.......

this is a sad day for all, and there are allot of people that will feel this one all the way down to the mini mart that sells beer and ice.....

I love all my friends on here and posting stuff,
but if you want to get involed you are going to have to start
checking the boards at coastsidefishingclub
cause there team of lawyers fought a good fight for us and
need your support.....
this is the hub for what is going on in the fight to get us salmon........

Fishquest
03-10-2006, 08:53 PM
If you still don't want to believe what Coastside's saying, here's an AP article for you to read. I'll give you a couple of highlights:

"The situation is so bad, the Pacific Fishery Management Council recommended closing the early March and April salmon season in California and Oregon, a move federal officials likely will approve."
"The council will choose a preferred option when it meets again next month in Sacramento, Calif. After that, NMFS will make a final determination on catch limits. The agency has overruled council recommendation in the past, but rarely."

If you don't think we're in a battle to salvage any kind of a salmon season this year and in the forseeable future, you're deluding yourself. Here's the balance of the article:

Fishery managers announce three options for West Coast salmon fishing
By JACKSON HOLTZ
Associated Press Writer

SEATTLE (AP) - Fishery managers announced three options for West Coast salmon fishing on Friday: One option would close the season in California and Oregon, and the others would impose deep reductions in the catch.

"Whatever scenario is adopted _ zero or otherwise _ will be the most cut-back season we've ever had," said Dave Bitts, a California fisherman.

Fishery officials were struggling for a tricky calculus that would allow some fishing but not harm declining populations of chinook and coho salmon.

The problem is especially acute in the Klamath River in southern Oregon. Chinook populations there have dropped dramatically in recent years, and scientists say even if the season is closed, federal fish-count minimums would not be met.

The situation is so bad, the Pacific Fishery Management Council recommended closing the early _ March and April _ salmon season in California and Oregon, a move federal officials likely will approve.

Seasonal options for the rest of the year were outlined at the end of a council's weeklong meeting here.

During the week, the council proposed a federal ban on krill harvesting and loosened rules to allow drift gillnet fishing, which environmentalists say put endangered leatherback turtles at risk.

But the main topic was salmon.

After several days of study and public testimony, the council produced a 22-page document that outlined three options for two general fishing regions: waters north of Cape Falcon, Ore., at the mouth of the Columbia River, and waters off California and Oregon. There were similar scenarios for sport and commercial fishing.

The southern options range from no season, at worst, to a severely limited season, at best.

The outlook is not much better for Washington state, though no seasonal closures are threatened.

Earlier in the week, the National Marine Fisheries Service recommended closing the season south of Cape Falcon.

In a letter to the council delivered Friday, U.S. Reps. David Wu and Peter DeFazio, both D-Ore., attacked that recommendation, calling it bad policy. They contend the salmon problem is caused by poor water management, not overfishing.

"Because the federal government failed to manage properly water flows in the Klamath River, the fall chinook salmon run is dwindling," they wrote. The agency's response "is to completely close all sport and commercial fishing, rather than to request other federal agencies to restore adequate water flows and to take other necessary steps to restore salmon runs in the Klamath River."

They suggested the agency address systemic problems causing the salmon decline, rather than restrict fishermen. Their sentiments were echoed in a separate letter from U.S. Rep. Mike Thompson, D-Calif.

Federal officials at the council meeting declined to comment on the letters and referred questions to officials in Washington, D.C., who could not be reached for comment after business hours Friday.

If a salmon-fishing ban were imposed, consumers accustomed to buying fresh, wild salmon may find it scarce and expensive, said Jim Seger, a council economist.

Fishermen from Oregon and California said a closed season would put them and related businesses out of work. They're hoping the council will invoke an emergency measure to save the season _ reducing the number of fish that must make it to the Pacific.

But in a letter to released Friday to the council, NOAA Fisheries said "it will be difficult to justify approval of an emergency rule to allow additional fishing in 2006."

The council will choose a preferred option when it meets again next month in Sacramento, Calif.

After that, NMFS will make a final determination on catch limits. The agency has overruled council recommendation in the past, but rarely.

Bitts said he's holding out hope for at least some fishing. It will be a tough year with the limits, he said.

"It means hanging on by your fingernails and praying the ice dock is there next year," he said, referring to the need for ice to keep the catch fresh.

Recreational fisherman Dan Wolford also longs to fish this year. But if the season's closed, he'll stay off the water.

"I guess I'll take up reading," he said.

Jan_from_Humboldt
03-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Another article...

Salmon season might be awfully short
Federal managers struggle to find middle ground to save fish, industry
By Douglas Fischer, STAFF WRITER
Inside Bay Area

A federal fisheries panel proposed Friday an extremely limited Chinook salmon season along the Pacific coast from Point Sur to the Oregon-Washington border in a compromise effort to save struggling Klamath River stocks yet keep a $150 million industry afloat.
The Pacific Fisheries Management Council offered three options for the 2006 season. The most liberal would allow fishermen to catch between 100,000 and 150,000 Chinook, or king, salmon in the ocean.

In an average to poor year, commercial fishermen and anglers catch 500,000 Chinook in the Pacific. A good year might see a harvest of 1 million or more fish. But the most restrictive option proposed Friday would ban Chinook fishing entirely from the Point Sur Lighthouse to near Astoria, Ore. A final decision on the season, which traditionally ran from April through September, won't be made until next month.

Fishermen describe the restrictions with invectives ranging from crippling to catastrophic. On Friday the council added a new wrinkle, suggesting that the commercial fleet -- but not the charter boats -- took more than three times the amount of Klamath River fish than previously estimated.

That surprise announcement added more vitriol and prompted California's industry representative on the council's salmon advisory subpanel, Duncan MacLean of El Granada, to resign in disgust.

"They basically told me they had to meet competing needs. And ours was the lowest on the list," said MacLean, who's spent 15 years on the advisory subcommittee. "They're willing to sacrifice an industry. I've never seen this process so politicized in my entire time of doing this. It's dirty. It's real dirty."

The problems center on the Klamath River, where three years of weak runs have federal fisheries managers seeking a full ban on any Chinook fishing from Point Sur near Carmel to near the Oregon/Washington border. Two federal laws mandate no fishing given current projections.

But the law allows for an emergency exemption to keep industry afloat through weak runs. And Friday evening the council, meeting in Seattle, appeared willing to offer at least a few crumbs for the 2006 season:

--No Chinook fishing in a 700-mile stretch of the Pacific.

--A season with half the fishing allowed in 2005, the most restrictive on record

--A season with a quarter of the fishing allowed in 2005.

The three options go out for public comment for about a month before the council, meeting in Sacramento in early April, picks from among the three for its final recommendation.

The National Marine Fisheries Service has final say on any season dates and can override the council's recommendations.

Frustrated fishermen said Friday federal regulators are systematically dismantling their industry as little or nothing is done on what they view as the root cause of the Klamath's decline: Poor habitat and water conditions in the river.

"This is a little bit like throwing virgins in volcanoes," said Zeke Grader, executive director of the Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen's Associations the largest trade association of commercial fishermen on the West Coast. "Unless you know there's going to be survival of the fish in the river, it really doesn't matter what you do in the ocean."

But California officials on Friday stood by their decision to keep the fishing boats moored in harbor for the summer. Much work is being done to restore the river's health, they said. But right now they need every fish they can get back in the river.

More puzzling to the fishermen was the 3[1/2]-fold increase -- on the last day of the weeklong meeting -- of the commercial fleet's harvest estimate of Klamath Chinook.

"It's just nuts," Grader said. " We've had months and months to look at this... We don't really have a chance to determine whether this is valid."

blue_chrush
03-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Still not closed yet. The council will only recomend, what the government decides will still be up to them. It's not closed!

I spoke with f&g today and they said they wouldn't even make a decision to close till after the opener..

Were talking about a forum post on another sniffer type web site, and i have to question the validly of this info, yes it's in danger but until someone can show something from fish and game saying it's closed.........POUND SAND!!!!

your right
its not closed yet for the season....
but the opener and the month of april is deffentley CLOSED........

hahahahahahaaha............
if you think BOB FRANKO and his sniffer type web site is wrong...
and that his team of lawyers who were at the hearing eveyday
and made numerous rebuttels to the pannel and presented findings
for them to read *and see that no one else had yet......
and there just posting bogus info to us.......
wake up........
and as for talking to your dfg buddies......keep talking
cause they don't even know, cause they don't get paid too....
they simply implement the laws and such as they come down
from the feds.......

the only fishing on april 1st your gonna be doing is
mooching for stripers or sand dabs.......count on it.

JohnnieB
03-11-2006, 09:31 AM
I can understand the frustration among fellow fisherman but it is what it is, nobody that fishes or makes a living fishing these fish are happy about it,but really is it a surprise to anybody I think not, It all started way before the devastating blow the gov.did to the Klamath and the big fish kill. And that pisses me off more than anything, ya I'm upset I just hope that this will also open some eye's to the situation that have been closed or even worse, turned the other way, should the situation comes up again.That being said does anybody know at this point will the closer include the rivers through April?? {Rogue and the Klamath}I think the closer will help, but if the gov.does not do anything about increasing water flows when all the indications say to do so otherwize another SALMON SLAUGHTER....WHAT GOOD WILL IT DO [smiley=foottap.gif]
[smiley=bump.gif]
http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2006/03/11/news/oregon/satore02.txt [smiley=foottap.gif] [smiley=guns.gif] [smiley=guns.gif] [smiley=guns.gif] [smiley=guns.gif] [smiley=guns.gif]

Team_Sheryl_Lee
03-11-2006, 09:59 AM
i am very sorry to say this ....
but
IAM READY TO RIOT!!!!!!!!

they are messing with a bunch of home grown raddicals that take their blood lust out on fish

there are a lot of us that enjoy the 3 "F's"

Fish!!!!!

Fight!!!!!!

and

copulate!!!!!!!

take one away and you are going to get alot more of the other!!!!!!!!

TSL

krzyfshrmn
03-11-2006, 11:21 AM
* * And to think that higher numbers of salmon returning to the Klamath this fall are just going to die before being able to spawn due to water conditions.

* It's a losing battle for fish and fishermen.....

ghostfish_slayer
03-11-2006, 12:08 PM
they show you how they treat the fishery right at home on the american.just look what they have been doing with the flows high, low high, low.the salmon that did spawned in the river,right after they raised the flows to 30k.like that didn't have any effect on the reds or fry that may have hatched.the winter run native steelhead which are listed as endangered follow the salmon up that is how it works and has been for thousands of years.they came up in high flows.believe me. they don't stick around to long.they get their job done then head back out to the ocean.some spawn so fast they hardly change color.as i have caught spent bright fish many times.so don't believe that they didn't de water many thousands of reds.when they went from 15k down to 7k then on down to 4 k.in a matter of a few days.these fish that did come in early in high flows.many of them are native run winter fish.they dewatered their reds with no concern to the effects it would have on those endangered native species or their future..so no matter how many fish return to the klamath they will not live if they do not fix the real problem.which is a manipulated problem to begin with.

Fishquest
03-11-2006, 03:13 PM
It's free, but they take donations and do fundraisers, and seem to be pretty active in fighting for our rights to keep fishing. In addition to the current salmon issue, they are currently fighting the MLPA process, which will be coming our way very soon:

"On Friday Nov 11, the Coastside Fishing Club filed a lawsuit in the Superior Court for the County of Del Norte (Crescent City) against the California Resources Agency, the Department of Fish and Game, and the Resource Legacy Fund Foundation to stop special interest funding for the promulgation of California regulations."

Maybe they hired imaginary lawyers to do this since they don't have any resources.

FCD, since you seem to be so dismissive about Coastside and what they have to say, maybe you can suggest what we should be doing to save our salmon season.

blue_chrush
03-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Maybe they hired imaginary lawyers to do this since they don't have any resources. *

FCD, since you seem to be so dismissive about Coastside and what they have to say, maybe you can suggest what we should be doing to save our salmon season.

fish_coming_down
ok, I'm all ears too.......

what would you have us do.....
what do we do now.......
what have you done......
any of the 3 will do......

blue_chrush
03-11-2006, 03:34 PM
and on another note here.......

why is the northern fishing season still open......
you can bet there catching klamath salmon right now....... >:(
and are they finally going to stop the Indian gill netting.....
that should have gone out with the covered wagons...

ghostfish_slayer
03-11-2006, 04:05 PM
if looked into a little deeper you could see the whole outlined plan.it is not about shutting down one season.that is just a distraction..

pawsnazzy
03-12-2006, 03:16 AM
Well , The 2 radio shows that I listened to yesterday morning said "That there was not going to be any Apr. opener". They also stated "That they will be most likely shuting down the Fort Bragg and north fishing very soon". "Oregons Apr. 1st opener was shut down as well."
During the next meetings they would decide if they will give us 2 weeks in may , and maybe the 4th of July weekend and a couple of other short fishing times with long closures in between.
Again the sportsman will pay the price of poor Gov. actions.

Fishquest
03-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Maybe today's SF Chronicle has it wrong too...

"Salmon season start in limbo
Recreational fishing opening delayed at least until May"

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/03/12/SPG67HMUC31.DTL

blue_chrush
03-12-2006, 08:25 AM
ok if the salmon thing wasn't enough ....read this one.......
and try tell me the enviros aren't just saving the trees/whales....
this is scary cause they know how to work the system
and there sympathy vote/money comes from people who
thought they were helping the enviorment.....
this state is fast becoming a cesse pool of bleeding hearts...

This mornings news paper ..Contra Costa Times,....on page A-25 East County Sunday Times there's a story about the enviros [ all of em ] writing very strong worded letters to the Governor to "NOT" re-appoint Jim Kellogg to the f&g commission.
This is a "MUST READ" artical for all of us because the enviros who we are trying to work with on the Klamath issue are trying to ream out our rear ends on the other issues.
9 enviro groups sent hate letters about Jim.
I don't know how to post that artical so hopefully someone here will because I really think we will be writting letters of support for Jim if we hope to make any headway in any f&g matter.
Jim gos on to say the groups intend to push to get more of their people on the commission in order to stop all hunting & fishing in this state.

Jan_from_Humboldt
03-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Salmon hotlines and websites (inseason information)
Up-to-date information on inseason changes is available from these hotlines and websites:

Ocean salmon hotline (National Marine Fisheries Service):
(800) 662-9825 or (206) 526-6667
NWR Salmon Fishery Regulations Website

California fishing hotline (California Dept. of Fish and Game):
(707) 576-3429
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/index_regs.html

Oregon fishing hotline (Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife):
(503) 947-6000
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/OSCRP/main.html

Washington fishing hotline (Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife):
(360) 902-2500
https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/rules_current_order_by_date.j

[Top]

The_Reel_Won
03-12-2006, 09:14 AM
A quote from CSFC on 3-10-06
Coastsiders

Ok Coastsiders our campaign was to get the Ticehurst Solution to the next level. You got this done, it is now called option 1. I also want to say the heat you turned on believe it or not influenced option 2.

Ben and I had a meeting with the ASA today. On Monday the board will be meeting along with the ASA representative coordinating the next step. This will be difficult, the order will come from the council, but the decision well be made at the highest levels in Washington DC.

We will be doing things like a huge press event on April 1. We will have 20,000 4 color brochures self addressed to the target. They will have pictures of the die off, and the real killer in the river. We will tell the real Klamath story and provide the solutions. These will be made available at all the sport shops, and members to distribute. The only thing people will need to do is sign them provide a address and put a stamp on them.

It will be our job at the grass roots level to turn the heat on again only higher, only this this time it will be directed toward DC. We will be providing guidance on this after the Monday meeting.

I had people tell me during the first half off this campaign that they were not worried because they felt the state would never do this, I think everyone now knows how serious this is.

The ASA job will be to take the heat we generate along with the facts and solution to the administration and congress.

We can provide the chance to make a difference, but it will be up to you to make it happen.

Remember this, all that we have accomplished together there was always people that said we couldn't do it. This is no difference, the dice are in our hand lets roll them and see what happens.

We will be talking soon.

Keep The Faith

Bob Franko

--------------------

Bob Franko

pawsnazzy
03-12-2006, 07:58 PM
I just wanted to say " Thank You Bob" for all of your hard work.

sunracer1957
03-13-2006, 09:13 AM
After reading all the post here does it really matter who said what?? everyones missing the point. We need to take action to protect what we love.

I hope anyone who has anything to say at all will get involved.. does anyone know what the date for the Sac meeting is??

Fishquest
03-13-2006, 11:47 AM
SALMON MEETINGS & HEARINGS

Public Hearings
March 27-28, 2006: Public hearings will be held to receive comments on the proposed ocean salmon fishery management options adopted by the Council. All public hearings begin at 7 pm on the dates and at the locations specified below.

Monday
March 27, 2006
Chateau Westport
Beach Room
710 W Hancock
Westport, WA 98595
(360) 268-9101

Monday
March 27, 2006
Red Lion Hotel
South Umpqua Room
1313 N Bayshore Drive
Coos Bay, OR 97420
(541) 267-4141

Tuesday
March 28, 2006
Flamingo Hotel
Flamingo Ballroom
2777 Fourth Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95405
(707) 545-8530

April Council Meeting (Adopt 2006 Salmon Management Measures)
April 3-7, 2006: Council and advisory entities will meet at the DoubleTree Hotel Sacramento, 2001 Point West Way, Sacramento, California, to adopt 2006 management measures for implementation by the National Marine Fisheries Service.

April 4, 2006: Testimony on the management options will be taken during the Council meeting at the DoubleTree Hotel Sacramento, 2001 Point West Way, Sacramento, California, 95815, phone: (916) 929-8855.

Sea_Snake
03-13-2006, 06:42 PM
In preparing for the worst would there be a problem with catch and release. Could the DFG site you for catch and release fishing?

TSL
03-13-2006, 06:58 PM
good question

i would imagine there would be some problem with targeting them
but as bycatch while trolling for halibut i dont think anything could be said

TSL

sure_bite
03-13-2006, 07:02 PM
multi rods and j hooks sand dabb fishing..

blue_chrush
03-13-2006, 10:01 PM
In preparing for the worst would there be a problem with catch and release. Could the DFG site you for catch and release fishing?

if you are caught trolling hoochies or herring and your out deep
then there might be a problem.....yes..
but stay inside and fish around 120=150ft and mooch with
J hooks and use anchoive and fish for sand dabs.....
you can have up to 3 hooks and if you should hook a salmon
then don't bring it on board, simply play it out and unhook it
at the side of boat, and maybe sneek in a pic of it......
that along with some tastey sand dabs would be a fitting day....

The_Reel_Won
03-13-2006, 11:25 PM
[quote author=blue crush
stay inside and fish around 120=150ft and mooch with
J hooks and use anchoive and fish for sand dabs.....
you can have up to 3 hooks and if you should hook a salmon
then don't bring it on board, simply play it out and unhook it
at the side of boat, and maybe sneek in a pic of it......
that along with some tastey sand dabs would be a fitting day....
[/quote]
;D ;D Man you can hear the gears turning

elgallo
03-14-2006, 07:57 AM
And what is ironic about all of this is the FEDS (BushCo/Rove/Whitman) who caused this due to politics in 2002, are now going to have the final say on the matter.

Now aint that special. >:(

TSL
03-14-2006, 09:04 AM
hey blue crush
you said we can use 3 hooks?
i realize for rock fish its 2 hooks but i thought for sand dabs we could use more
i will have to check the regs

TSL

The_Reel_Won
03-15-2006, 06:08 PM
More info from Coastside Fishing Club 3-15-06

We are about ready to launch our own version of shock and awe. This must be a total effort we all must get involved if we are to have any kind of real salmon season.

Roger Thomas is walking the halls of congress, and reported that he is having no trouble getting in to see the legislators. They want to know what's going on because of all the mail they have received. I think the over whelming majority came from our first campaign. I can't help but smile if they only new what was coming.

The brochures should be ready by tomorrow or a large portion of the 20,000. I want to thank Steve Piazza for helping with the design and printing. This is a tremendous 4 color product that is going to knock your socks off when you see it. It will also be available on our site for down loading so you can hand carry it to you're friends and neighbors.

I see by the posts we will have a petition station starting this week at retailers. That's just awesome.

The report from ASA today was they are pushing hard in DC. Today they had a meeting with the Commerce Dept. We are coordinating our efforts with them. Starting tomorrow they will start knocking on doors and will have downloaded our brochure and will make sure it is distributed all over DC. They can't emphasize enough how much your letters are helping, and can't wait for us to launch phase two.

Dan, Ben, and Marc all scientist have been running the numbers with the model the PFMC uses, and thinks we can craft a reasonable season with a little tweaking. We will present this at the Santa Rosa public meeting, and also sending it to the F&G Dept.

Chris is working on the sign up for the buses to Sacramento, and sign ups will start tomorrow.

Darrell and I had a meeting with Duncan today. He is the head of the commercial association at HMB. He has requested a bus for his membership and suggest we put signs on them like our slogan, and we all pull up together where the press will be waiting at the meeting.

Our brochure was down loaded today by the PCFFA. They are having a meeting with the commercial industry and legislators, and will distribute it there.

Tonight Darrell and I have a meeting with the HMB Harbor Commission. Then on Saturday we meet with the speaker of the House in our State Government.

Finally I mentioned several days ago about the lack of cooperation on the part of our F&G Dept. The F&G Dept at the PFMC proposed a 0 fish season, and when questioned by the California Delegation the response was what don't you understand about 0. I also said a few days ago that in the past they told the Feds to go pound sand and opened it up to 3 miles. Well I see now on the F&G website that their considering opening to three miles. I wonder what made them nervous enough to go from 0 to 3 miles if that is really their intention. I will tell you it's about heat and politics, and shining the light of day on the problem, and you guys were the driving force. The director reported in one day he received over 4500 Coastside E-mails. You were a canon in an army were everyone else had rifles.

I don't want you to settle for a three mile season. This would still be a disaster for many folks. If the Dept is really considering this then there is no reason why they can't now indorse option 1 and give us a season. We will continue to turn up the heat not only to get us a real season, but just as important to solve the problem or we will face this until 2013.

Bob Franko

CaptBrandon
03-15-2006, 06:34 PM
I didn't catch one fish last year outside 3miles except in santa cruz. Fort bragg, bodega, 10 mile beach, point reyes, salmon creek, mouth of russian river, you can get plenty of quality trips within three miles, save on gas too. It's not the answer, but i'll take it. ;)