PDA

View Full Version : clipping fins

triggerfish
02-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Does anyone know why they don't clip that fin on salmon like they do on steelhead? It seems to me that would solve the problem of killing "wild Salmon"!!!

blue_chrush
02-26-2006, 11:17 PM
they do.....
all hatchery fish from around here
have clipped adipose fins on them...
last year we saw allot of fish with the cut fin...

triggerfish
02-27-2006, 07:54 AM
If they already clip the fins then why are they closing it down? It seems like a win win situtation to me. The people who make their livings could keep their jobs,and not go on welfare. And the fish and game would be Very,Very happy Writing 1,000,000's of dollars in fines.And the Klathamath Seals would be able to eat their salmon. and what made it through would sufficate and die in that 69 deg. water just like they always do! See everyone would be happy.

Fishquest
02-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that only the hatchery fish that have the chip implanted in their head have the fin clipped. The vast majority of hatchery fish are unclipped.

brian_m
02-27-2006, 03:23 PM
that is true but im pretty sure most are clipped..because thats why the fish checkers ask how many farmed and wild salmon you have on board..well for party boats anyway, so they can tell home many more wild or farmed salmon are being caught..

65whaler
02-27-2006, 05:01 PM
how do the salmon get up that enormous trinity damn on the klamath? seems like they'd need to add fins for good luck. or wings.

Team_Sheryl_Lee
02-27-2006, 05:06 PM
i just went through the pages of your personal best salmon
i see no clipped fins
alot of pics did not load but those that did showed no missing fin
with the hatcheries on the sacramento drainage i would have expected to see more with clipped fins than not

TSL

especially knowing that some of those pics were from the nimbos dam (end of the line on the american past the hatchery)

fishingphil
02-27-2006, 07:15 PM
I've caught a lot of salmon out of the sacramento sytem and the ocean and only one had a clipped fin! I doubt they would clip the fin of the million or so smolts that are produced out of the nimbus fish hatchery alone. They generally only clip fins on salmon when they are doing some sort of study on them.
-Phil

blue_chrush
02-27-2006, 10:11 PM
last yr I think I had 4 fish with clips,
clipped fin or not, answer this one....

if they want to close us to fishing cause of
the klamath river low yeild spawns.....
then why the h@ll is oregon fishing season open
right now and they get to fish right in front of
the river that has all the contraversy with no
restrictions, think about that one....

drstressor
02-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Am I missing something here? It's efforts to protect the remaining Klamath stock that is impacting the California salmon fishery, not Columbia fish. There is good evidence that the Klamath fish mix with the Sacramento stocks, particularly north of the Bay area. The Columbia fish mostly head north.

blue_chrush
02-27-2006, 10:43 PM
dah....I typed in colombia huh :-/

I ment klamath river..up north

sorry.

drstressor
02-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Back on topic: It's my understanding that only a small portion of the hatchery fish are adipose clipped. These are the ones with coded wire tags in their noses. By measuring the percentage of tagged fish that return each year, the managers can estimate the total return for that year class. It is difficult to get a handle on the ratio of natural spawners to hatchery fish using this method since you must assume that ocean survival is the same for both and it may well be different). There are ongoing studies to develop genetic markers (DNA tests) that distinguish between wild and hatchery stocks. This would allow any fish to be sampled by taking a piece of fin after it is caught. Canada does this with pretty good success where there are genetically distinct wild population. But even this approach will be limited in California because the hatcheries have been in operation for so long that most wild populations may no longer be distinct because of interbreeding with hatchery reared fish.

basil
02-28-2006, 05:10 PM
That's interesting about the clipped fins. Up north in Oregon the only fish they can keep is the ones with clipped fins. I 'm not certain but I thought all their fish that are stocked are clipped.

As for the Klamath, here's an idea. We go with them on this closure deal, but only if they agree that the dam is endangering the fish. Then we make them tear the dam down under the endangered species act! Salmon fishing will get really good then.

brian_m
02-28-2006, 06:11 PM
thats funny cause most of the salmon ive caught in the last 3 seasons have been clipped....ill ask the fish checker next time i see him..

Ikan_Mas
02-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the info on clipped fins Doc. I never knew.

bananas_nada
03-03-2006, 10:22 AM
I am from Washington State and an avid sport fisher. I have started following the Sacramento and Klamath River Chinook situation since I emphasis with your fishers. It is really sad that the depleted Klamath Chinook are going to close the CA fishery despite a very healthy hatchery Chinook run in the Sacramento. Up north in Washington we were facing the same situation you are currently facing (weak endangered runs closing the fishery despite healthy hatchery runs of fish). In WA the fish agencies now adipose clipped all hatchery coho and Chinook so we can then catch and keep these fish while letting the non clipped wild fish go. This selective fishery is great and very easy to follow. Believe me it beats being left on shore and not fishing.

Currently the adipose clipped fish in CA are the ones that have a CWT or tag in their snout. These could be wild or hatchery fish. WA has fish with tags too but they do not use the adipose fin to identify these fish.

brian_m
03-04-2006, 07:42 AM
all to confusing..oh well, a salmon is a salmon

Team_Sheryl_Lee
03-04-2006, 08:39 AM
i am still a firm beliver of "CFR"
i am going to pick up one of those rail mount gas bbq's
and keep her hot
if i am unsure if what i have hauled up will get me a citation
cfr and bbq
add a few wood chips for that smoke flavor and have smoked
oregon coho's
;D ;D ;D

just kidding

but not about the bbq
i have cooked in my galley while out but have to baby sit it making sure the pan does not hit the floor
with a rail mount bbq i can swing it out side the boat
navigate, cook, and fish.

well back out to the boat
heat exchanger and exhaust manifold and riser
add coolant and hook up the hose

lets listen to them ponies...today!!!!

TSL