PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver - BC ?

flasher
02-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Does anyone know about Port Hardy Fishing?. Want to go around July for salmon and halibut. Thanks, Flasher.

drstressor
02-19-2006, 01:11 PM
I have been there several times. It's one of my favorite BC locations because it is a working port rather than a fancy fishing lodge. It is an intercept fishery for salmon, so a bit of luck is involved with respect to getting into a lot of kings. June is usually better than July for them. But you have runs passing through from May through September. Early July is better than latter in the month. Silvers (called Northern Coho up there) increase abundance by mid July and are usually very consistent. PH has GREAT bottom fishing if you go with the right folks. It's not a great halibut spot, but they do get into a few big ones each year. I fished with these guys a few years ago:

http://www.codfathercharters.com/

We paid extra for a combo trip and ended up with limits of silvers, big rockfish, and a 35 lb ling between my wife and myself. I've done well up there fishing from private boats also.

If you plan to stay at the campgrounds, be aware that they fill up completely on days before the ferry arrives.

14_blast
02-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Never heard of Port Hardy, but I have been to Campbell River. I had a great time Coho fishing up there.