PDA

View Full Version : Party Boat Trolling gear

kreed020
01-02-2006, 12:20 PM
I've been salmon fishing in my own boat off the coasts of California and Washington for the last 20 years. For most of that time I used downriggers. I run Gloomis rods and Charter special reels with 20 lb line. Now I am boatless in California as I keep my boat in Washington. I need to get a good trolling rod and reel for use on party boats and would like recommendations for trolling around those big 2-3 lb weight they use when Salmon fishing. Not sure my downrigger gear would hold up and would still like to have some kind of sport to it. Price is no problem.

mendohead
01-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Dear Kread020:

Not much sport when you you need heavy tackle to handle the cannon ball. I have a Penn 113 Reel w/ stiff rod 20# to #50 . You might renting first if, your not going to use it much. I have mooched out of Santa Cruz out to Dux., late in the Season on the Velocity and, found it to be more fun.
Ernie

http://www.sfsportfishing.com/salmontrolling.html

kreed020
01-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Agreed, mooching is much more fun. Last year I went out on the Kahuna out of Moss Landing. It was a lot of fun. But later in the season as the fish moved North, it seems that most of the boats out of HMB or SF were trolling and you had to use the heavy gear. I went on the Queen of Hearts and then later I went on the New El Dorado. Both times I used rental gear which was adequate but not really sporting as you said. Was hoping to come up with something better than the rental gear.

gmdcdvm
01-08-2006, 07:10 PM
I use a medium action rod with a medium tip, 7ft long. I have a Calstar I use, but anything works well. As for the reel I use either my penn jigmaster or penn senator 113H. Don't really need that big of a reel or that heavy duty drag. Most people use 25-30 test line with 6ft leaders. The leaders are also generally 30lb test as well. Besides, the salmon don't really run that much compared to some other game fish.

MoMoney
01-19-2006, 08:44 AM
My advice would be to get on the hitch hiker board and start hookin up with others with there own boats and stick with your gear.Not much fun trollin with 35 of your closest friends and untangling line all day.

Wahoo99
01-19-2006, 09:18 AM
I am a lot like you as I hitchhike mostly. I do have friends that troll lead due to no downriggers.

I just went to the ISE show in San Mateo on a mission to replace my old venerable Fenwick Pacific Stick Royale which i broke after 13 years on a rock cod trip. I got the Calstar 12-30lb rod and due to the great deals there I also got a Calcutta 700 reel to go with it.

I know this will be a great set-up for trooling salmon, sturgeon, pitching bares for rock cod. I am also taking it to the Columbia River for oversize sturgeon and to Cabo for marlin.

sokoo
01-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Not much fun trollin with 35 of your closest friends and untangling line all day.

And fighting for a good spot..... The only time I salmon fished on a party boat, I felt like a monkey following exact instructions and cranking the reels. They take you to the spot, they tell you how many pulls to feed out, and what tackle and bait to use, they decide the speed etc., and they sometimes net the fish for you far from the boat before the fish realise it has to start some serious fight. It might be good if you just want to catch a fish and don't care how it's caught....

MoMoney
01-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Thats what I was talkin about.Find an open seat you will enjoy it much more.I got one fishin partner and usually have an open seat for good guys.All of my open seats have turned out friends that Ive fished with multiple times.Can you use flashers if they allow trolling on a party boat?

kreed020
01-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks guys for the great input. I guess I should have kept my boat here instead of Seattle. Everyone had some good valid points. I think I'll check out the hitchhiker board.

recs1 JBF
01-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Kreed020 first off let me welcome you to the Sniffer! My setup that I use for trolling is a Seeker Model: A 270 7' rated @ 12-30 lb test matched with an Avet MX reel. I use 20 lb line and 2 1/2 lb balls when trolling. I like this setup because I use it also for sturgeon, the tip is not that stiff and has enough back bone for big sturgeon. My mooching rig is a G Loomis HSR 981C matched with a Calcutta 251 spooled with 12lb test. The rod is one piece and can handle up to a 4oz. weight. I love this set up the most because of the light tackle and the backbone of the Loomis rod. When the boat say's light tackle that's what I'm bringing.

blue_chrush
02-14-2006, 11:12 PM
i say while fishing on a party boat,
take like 4 cases of beer,
get everyone drunk and let them pass out,
and fish the whole boat to yourself...
and if that doesn't work at least it
will be one hell of a party and who
cares about the fish.......lol

14_blast
02-15-2006, 07:12 AM
Posted by: Mo Money Posted on: Jan 19th, 2006, 6:29pm
Thats what I was talkin about.Find an open seat you will enjoy it much more.I got one fishin partner and usually have an open seat for good guys.All of my open seats have turned out friends that Ive fished with multiple times.Can you use flashers if they allow trolling on a party boat?

Mo,

The only time I use flashers on a party boat is if I'm fishing in one of the back corners.

gmdcdvm
02-15-2006, 08:04 AM
I have used a small flahser on party boats before. I always ask the deckhands first before using them, and maker sure the total length isn't longer than everyone else's leaders. This helps avoid the tangles they can cause. Big Al's flasher in their mini size works great.