PDA

View Full Version : Minnow plugs for salmon?

sokoo
01-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Never heard anyone in the Bay area mention minnow plugs for salmon, but the action of this type of lure looks great to me. So the year before I changed the trebles to one single hook on a Rebel and trolled just outside Pillar Point Harbor. A 7 lb salmon was on. Another day my friend was with me, he trolled with the same lure I used and I tried Apex or RSK, he caught 2 and I caught egg.

Now I have got my 17' Gregor so I am really ready for some salmon this year. I am wondering if any of you have done a side-by-side comparison of the Rebel/Rapala type lures against the regulars (Apex, RSK, spoons)? The smaller Rebels and Storm thundersticks have also been my best lures for trout. I always think trout fishing as a small-scale version of salmon fishing, anyone agree? ::)

Fishbutt21
01-19-2006, 04:29 PM
The Yozuri Emperor minnow is a great salmon lure just a little pricey but great action

cuhogn
01-19-2006, 05:20 PM
I have had better luck with the RSK's, FBR's or the old crow bar ;). Apex and spoons have never been a go to for me :-/, it seems that a lot of the info on salmon suggest they slash and eat so the "rolling baits" seem to make more sense to me. It will be interesting to see how many use Rebel/Rapala lures.

Fishbutt21
01-19-2006, 05:38 PM
A lot of stick boats make a living with J-plugs

cuhogn
01-19-2006, 05:46 PM
That's true they run mostly hardware.

65whaler
01-20-2006, 09:37 AM
i'm with cuhogn. life's too short not to feed the fish. i've dragged crocs and apexs of various size and color with no luck. my fish come on spinning baits.

that said i went out with a buddy of mine last season and he was having no luck with the rsk. the radio fish were coming watermelon crocs, so he switched over to one. the bite was hot and cold. i noticed that he had about a dozen down rigger bail zipping strikes, but at the end of the day he had caught three fish (one silver). i on the other hand, with my cripple anchovy w/green hoochie had a total of five strikes and also caught three fish (one dink).

my take on that is that there's some hardware out there that really does the dance, but since salmon usually smack their meal before they eat it, it really helps to have it taste good.

Jan_from_Humboldt
01-21-2006, 08:17 AM
luhr jensen makes this one
http://www.luhrjensen.com/product_images/full/4751.jpg

This page http://www.luhrjensen.com/prod_list.cfm?categoryID=7 will give you and idea or two as well

Sam_Salmon
01-22-2006, 09:11 PM
I've used Rebel plugs successfully for Coho-trolling quite fast using the downrigger to keep the plug no more than a few feet under the surface and back about 50 feet.

This was a jointed 6" lure Green or Blue/Chrome never used the others.

gmdcdvm
01-27-2006, 06:26 PM
All of my fishing has been on party boats. This last year I decided to try some lures instead of the typical anchovie. I used green, blue, and watermelon krocodile lures. I caught fish on every color, but was most successful on the watermelon kroc's. There was usually at least one other person on board using these lures when i went out, and they were also successful. The only problem was that I did cath a lot of under sized fish and silver salmon using these compared to when I went with anchovies. At the same time I didn't seem to get as many hits on slow days with anchovies compared to the lures. Who knows if any of this really means something.
Gerry