PDA

View Full Version : Salmon gear

Fort_Bragger
11-28-2005, 04:48 PM
I've been reading these forums for some time, and I've decided since things are slow on the boards to enter the fray(or is that frey?). I've been a diver, hunter, and a fisherman for a very long time. *A couple of years ago I bought one my future retirement homes in Fort Bragg. *I also bought my first nice (do 12' Valco's count?) boat, a 19' Duckworth. *The Salmon bug has since then taken a huge bite out of my backside. *I've gotten most of my good information right here, so I would like some opinions on upgrading my rod/reels. *The Ugly Stick Tiger rods look good to me at the Fishermens Wherehouse, or Whorehouse as I refer to it sometimes. *What action should I get if I troll lead on 40lb. line? *I would also like to use the same rods for Tuna maybe. *I would like a reel with enough line capacity to hold plenty of 40lb. test line. *I lost some bigger Salmon on 25 until I went to the 40. The lever drag systems is a must too. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Fishbutt21
11-28-2005, 05:49 PM
I have 6 or 8 of the tiger rods in my family from the 10-30 to the 20-50lb rods and all are awesome and a great rod for the price I have used the 20-50 myself for striped bass to 60lb albacore. And even a 140lb sturgeon can be made to think the boat is where he want to be on a TIGER ROD .It may not be the most expensive rod made but always a good choice. my vote is for the 20-50 for what you what to do with it

Fort_Bragger
11-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Fishbutt:

Thanks for the reply. What are some other good rods I should look at? I've also read in this forum of some recommendations of reels other than Penn that I'm not familiar with. Avent or something close to that. Where can you get a look and what are we talking for cost?

Fishbutt21
11-30-2005, 09:30 AM
Seeker.GLoomis, and Cal Star all make super nice rods but the price is a lot higher than some may want to spend.Fenwick also makes some nice gear and not quite as expensive. As far as reels go theres a ton of them out there to choose from Shimano,Accurate.and Pro-gear are great reels but pricy compared to a penn or Diawa I am not sure where a Avent falls into the list.Rods and reels are like cars do you need a hot-rod you just something to get by with to do a job

Snappy_McBite
11-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Here are some recommendations on new reels other than the penn. If you go to wills fishing, ask Judy or Bonnie about the Tica Reels. I use a Tica Team ST558. It is a great all around reel for tuna trolling, Salmon, or sturgeon.

Another reel is the Avet reels. They are a little more expensive than the Tica's but not as expensive as the penns.

Good luck

Fort_Bragger
11-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Thank you for the honest advise. I just got back from Elk hunting in Utah. We stopped by the new Cabela's Store just south of Salt Lake City on Hwy. 15. I really enjoyed the hunt, but if you haven't been to Cabelas you need to make a trip. I was quite impressed. I have to switch over now to fishing again. That's why my question about rods and reels. My next purchase will be downriggers after the new rods. I've never fished with a downrigger before. I've read everything I have come across on driggers. I'm just not sure I want to make that big of investment without trying it first. I'd be willing to share my modest home in Fort Bragg with someone with downriggers if I could fish with them. Just to see how well they work. Of course I would return the offer on my boat as well if that would be ok. I'm not the best, but I do know the waters there well. Thanks again for the help.

triggerfish
11-30-2005, 07:37 PM
If I were you I would hold off on those heavy rods.20-50s.
You will love those downriggers. You will want long lite noodle rods. You will land a lot more salmon.and it will be a lot more fun,than cranking in a salmon on 40# string!
You will be amazed how well the downriggers work. you will probbally be able to get a used pair of manuals on this site. Because everyone always buys the manual ones 1st, then in 1 year sometimes 2 they get electrics.

Mickey_Thomas
12-01-2005, 06:51 AM
I see a mini-fest in the making, when the Salmon hit the Fort Bragg area we'll all be staying at your house Fort_Bragger ;D ;D ;D We'll try to keep it below 100 ;) and we'll all bring down riggers ;D ;D ;D

Team_Sheryl_Lee
12-01-2005, 08:54 AM
downriggers are great
they take a little bit of time to get the bait up and then back down
to fix that problem i pop the release and bring the rod in
once i get the rod in i have a secondary rod rigged with a ball or a deepsix diver
drop that over the side or i put it out the back
then raise the rigger line and redo your rigging
another bennifit of the down rigger is the depth you can reach...i have found if the fish aren't biting on the top ...send em deep 100'-150'
i have 300' of line on one downrigger and 450' on the other
as for rods...personally i have not noticed a difference in the catch rate of a 6' medium action rod used to drag balls when attached to a downrigger compared to the longer lighter weight rods
i have noticed that the longer the fish stays in the water the better chance of a fur bag bite
i lost 6 confirmed salmon this year to fur bags
i fish most of the time by myself enjoying the solitude
netting fish has alone has not been a strong suit of mine and i have placed the gaff in a handy spot
"REMEMBER" you can only gaff legal fish

well enough rambling

TSL

triggerfish
12-01-2005, 06:25 PM
tsl, are you sure that you can gaff salmon? I was under the impresssion that, that was a NO NO. ???

Fort_Bragger
12-01-2005, 07:53 PM
100 guests might be pushing it just a bit, but then what the hell are neighbors good for anyway? Just everyone bring sleeping bags and we'll knock on doors until we get everyone a bed. I'm sure they won't mind.......Thanks for the input. I've been reading the forums here for some time and I just wasn't sure how my input would be received. you all appear to be a zany mix of fisherpersons so I thought I might fit in. I am serious about hosting someone with downrigger experience. I could use the help and sometimes the fish are biting in Fort Bragg and zip down south. Dare I start a new conversation about tecniques for a newbie like me catching some crabs next weekend?

Team_Sheryl_Lee
12-01-2005, 07:57 PM
outside the gg you can gaff fish that are legal to take
look it up, i have ;D

TSL

triggerfish
12-01-2005, 08:18 PM
thanks tsl i hate untangling the darn net ! I'll be gaffin those suckers next year! ;)

Fort_Bragger
12-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Oh great, another controversy. *I will have to say Mr. Greenjeans that patrols out of Noyo Harbor is not a very understanding or compassionate individual. *I was almost shot for an extra hook while bottom fishing. *I'm not sure for gaffing Salmon he wouldn't see just how many lead balls you could swim with. ::)

Team_Sheryl_Lee
12-02-2005, 05:58 PM
before you hang me in public square you should look up the regs

TSL

oh by the way i love to be "proven" wrong ;D

triggerfish
12-02-2005, 08:36 PM
I looked hard yesterday,and it does not say anything about gaffing salmon. It says its illegal to gaff sturgeon. but nothing about salmon. i think Tsl is right!

mendohead
12-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Hi Ft. Bragger:

I lived in Albion for eight years and use a combo of Mooching, sinker release or, diving plane to save money. RSK, Hoochies work well. Try hooking up with
"the Lady Irma II", it's worth the cost of the trip. The worst thing is to catch a ball on a reef when, using a down-rigger $$$.

Me KayakFishing
http://myfishingpics.com/photopost48c/showphoto.php?photo=1432&sort=1&cat=all&page=120
Sea-ya in the Spring

Ernie

Trolling site
http://www.pugetsoundanglers.org/Fishing%20Info/Trollingforsalmon.html
Downrigger site
http://outdoorstore.espn.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?hvarAID=espnsite&mode=article&objec tID=29902
Lay Irma site
http://www.anchorcharterboats.com/
Mooching site
http://www.how-to-fish.com/mooching_for_salmon_how_to.htm

triggerfish
12-06-2005, 10:06 PM
:)

Fort_Bragger
12-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Mendohead:

* *Thanks for the links. *I've been out on the Rumblefish many times. I'll go out on a party boat when the conditions are a little snotty for my 19 footer. *Never had a reason to try another boat, but I'll keep tha LI2 in mind.
* * That brings up another topic. *My sister Pattie is my deck hand and fishing pal. *I have noticed a number of boats fish solo as mentioned above. *My sister isn't very good at anything, but I love her and I believe I can speak for her, and she wouldn't mind fishing with another boat at times. *I know this isn't a dating service, but ladies that like to fish are hard to come by. *BTW, they all like to fish BEFORE you marry them. ;)
She is 60, and isn't looking for marriage, just a fishing bud when she isn't my deck hand. Remember guys, I'm an expert marksman and my boat does well over 50 flat out. :o *Gentlemen only please. *She will fish from dawn to dusk if I don't make her head in with me, and she can pay her own way too. *I , of course want her to take notes and waypoints too, but I promise won't take advantage of that information......... ;D

Chapa
12-11-2005, 10:52 PM
My brother lives in Mendo.

I'm down with a Fort Bragg fest just let me know!!!!

Chapa

Fort_Bragger
12-17-2005, 03:01 PM
I will post next season a few dates for downrigger parties. I have room for several boats in the yard, and lots of room for sleeping bags in the house. Meanwhile, does anybody have a good boat name for my 19 foot Duckworth? I'm usually rather witty with ideas, but I'm stumped for something that sounds good. Any help would be appreciated.

mendohead
12-18-2005, 07:45 AM
Hi Ft. Bragger:

I would like to hook-up with you for a trip once the swell dies down. My wife and I will be re-locating to FT. Bragg to take care of my Mom in the Spring.
I'll share in the cost of gas, Maint. and clean-up of your Boat. Most of my fishing buddies are too busy working when weather is good for fishing. I was a
"hitch-hiker" Uni tender on the "Rage" out of Albion.
All of my Boat money is going to putting our Sons thru college. That is why I fish from a Yak.
My wife only likes to Kayak up Big River or
the Albion so, maybe your Sister would like to join us during the late spring.
Did Pattie ever work at "The School House Inn"?
My wifes' name is Susie and, had a FisherWoman friend who
sounds like your sister.
We will be up Dec 21 and 22. I would like to meet you for a sandwich at "Subway" in the "Boatyard" shopping center.
I need a fishing friend because, my wife doesn't like it when I dive for abs, and fish by myself.
How about "Salmon Slayer" or "Just Duckie" as a name for your Boat?
Ernie Nunez

marnilr
12-18-2005, 12:30 PM
BTW, they all like to fish BEFORE you marry them. ;)

Not all... *;) *I liked fishing before but love it even more now that I am married. *Not many of us can say that we sleep with our fishing buddies. * :o

sunracer1957
12-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Bragger

You might want to take a look at Vances spiral wrapped rods for Salmon, Mickey used one last year and I really liked it, also the Shimano Tekota 600 With line counter is top notch.. its the next thing on my things to have list.. when you get ready for that shin dig at your place be sure to inite EVERYONE cause we all like to party and its great when you can do it at someone elses house.. I hate cleaning up :o and for the invite I'll be happy to give downrigging lessons ;)

Fort_Bragger
12-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Mendohead: * Doesn't look like the swell is going to cooperate for a fishing/crab trip before New Years. I may be down for a house maintenance trip anyway.

Marnilr: * I apologize. *I shouldn't have said ALL women, but if I count all the women I know and add them with you....that makes a total of, lets see, *one ;D. *I fish with my sister, so, no to the sleeping together. *I do believe that's really cool for you. *Btw who is Captain on your boat?

Sunracer: * I'll check the rods out. *Thanks, and I'll let you and everybody know when we can try those downriggers out of Noyo.

Triggerfish: * *Does your interpitation of the F&G laws mean that we can gaff Sea Lions? *They're not sturgeon ???

sunracer1957
12-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Bragger be careful inviting folks for a bash.. I had a Sturgeon bash at my house in the summer and folks came all the way from RENO to talk Sturgeon fishing and I live in Sacramento, ended up with around 20 or so folks, but had an awesome time..

If you invite them they will come..

Fort_Bragger
12-22-2005, 05:13 PM
I know how parties can get out of hand. *We had a big annual New Years party until one year a guy got really drunk and totally out of control. *He was acting all goofy. He started dancing with, and groping some of our friends wives and girfriends. The next day the house was a real mess and the guys were pretty pissed off about how their women were abused. *We don't have New Years parties anymore because of that incident. *It worked out ok in the end....... I sobered up and apologized to everyone, and my wife made me clean up after myself. :-X

triggerfish
12-22-2005, 06:40 PM
bragger,it sure does! just make sure that you hold on tight,those buggers get really pi**ed off. And don't take any back to shore! ;D

sunracer1957
12-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Bragger I know what you mean, had a big shin dig one year and before the night was over one guy was running around in a dress,, he wanted to go to the red neck country bar up the street, I was already to drop him off and my wife wouldn't let me, He would have got his butt kicked for sure, but she has to work with him so she put the breaks on. Ended up having to kick him out in the wee hours of the morn.. he dosen't get invited anymore.. ;) and the parties are much more civil these days

Fort_Bragger
12-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Yes, I absolutely know what you mean. *Tell me; *Do you have as much of a problem with those push-up bras as I do? ::) ::) ::)

marnilr
12-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Marnilr: * I apologize. *I shouldn't have said ALL women, but if I count all the women I know and add them with you....that makes a total of, lets see, *one ;D. *I fish with my sister, so, no to the sleeping together. *I do believe that's really cool for you. *Btw who is Captain on your boat?

My husband and I share the responsibility. We have three little deckhands so one of us will Captain the boat and the other Captains the crew. ;) And when we are trolling for salmon... the one that isn't hooked up Captains the boat. :D

Jan_from_Humboldt
01-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Ben, as for the gear I moved up here in '97 from San Diego and was used to the warm water tuna and yellow tail so I have had to learn a while new fishery. (So why do I still have a TJ-90 jig stick and all the Salas/Tady iron)

I fish the salmon with a Calstar 270-H and have started using some Diawa sealine 30's I picked up, they are older reels but are bullet proof, I also favor the Newell reels (229-5 size for salmon).

I use divers (Pink lady) and flashers (Lhure Jensen #0) and have caught a slew of salmon this year.

I spool up with 65# power pro and my leaders are 40-60# test.

For mooching I use a Newell 220-5 spooled with 15# Ande on a Seeker Black Steel 196-7, this is also the rig I toss plastics for halibut with in the bay.

Yes down riggers work but you can catch plenty of fish with out them, you got to remember that the Penn 209 and the Ugly stick was "State of the art" for a long time up here.

Times are changing.