PDA

View Full Version : salmon gear

bigpaulie21
10-26-2005, 11:20 AM
need a rod and reel set up that will be suitable for bank fishing for salmon. If I use 15 pound test how will my lures be casted with only an ounce of weight. Can use some help. Thanks

Collegebound
10-26-2005, 01:01 PM
http://fishsponge.com/Tips.htm
Thats a good site for that stuff.
The basic setup is a 8'6" or 9' MH baitcasting with 15 to 20 lbs test. I think 1 oz is a pretty good all around weight size, but it changes from river to river on how it will perform. My 2 cents
Mike

CJC
10-27-2005, 11:50 AM
I am assuming that you have troubles casting for distance a 1 oz lure with 15lb line.
Here is from my personal experience.

Bait casting reels are better for casting lures with heavy lines.
Bait casting reels are more troublesome to cast and accident may happen in the most inopportune times, like a big backlash.
Spinning reels are better for lighter lines. But they also have their own troubles. Like you have to keep the line taut at all times or the line may come out of the reel in one bundle. Also line spin is a problem here.
If you want to go with spinning gear buy a reel that has a long spool (vs. a deep spool) they cast better for distance.
Match the rod to the lure weight (first priority) to the line (second priority) and to the fish (third priority) you will use it for. What I mean is that if you can't get to the fish, there is no point in worrying about it.
I would choose a rod that can handle 3/8-1 1/4 oz lures, 10 to 18 lb line and 8 1/2 to 9 ft long if you go with bait casting. But I would drop to 12 lb line with spinning gear and drop the rod rating accordingly.

VS
10-28-2005, 04:30 PM
Similar advice:

Rod: Lamiglas G1311, Medium-Heavy, spinning, 8'6", 10-20 lb test,1/2-11/2 oz. Loomis has similar. Spend the money and get a good rod, typically ~$175+. You can use rod this off the bank on the Feather, Sac, Benicia for 10-30 lb salmon. It's fine in a boat. Fighting a 20 lb salmon on this rod at the Outlet is a superb match.

Spinning Reel: A Shimano 4000 series by size (160 yd, 12 lb test) is good, but you may have to splice X yds of new line onto your spool sometimes while on the water. I do use 15 lb P-line on this reel (Sustain 4000), for difficult water, while keeping 12 lb test on the other spool. Don't get a reel that has more capactiy but weighs over ~14-15 oz; I don't think the capacity is worth the weight on your wrist if casting all day etc. I don't actually recommend the Sustain--It has broken while I was on a trip, it has another problem with the anti-reverse kicking off unexpectedly, and the bail is a pain to trip with the handle. Buy a cheaper Shimano? or good Daiwa? or...?

dimpala95
11-14-2005, 10:06 PM
I would recommend a Shimano Clarus rod in 8'6". they can be had for $68 plus tax. You can get spinning or casting. They are super rods especially for the price and the have a lifetime warranty. For reels, it depends if you want spinning or casting. For spinning I would go for a Shimano Stradic 4000 or 5000. Baitcasting I would recommend the Pflueger President wide spool, about $119.

Double_D
11-15-2005, 06:45 AM
I would recommend a Shimano Clarus rod in 8'6". they can be had for $68 plus tax. You can get spinning or casting. They are super rods especially for the price and the have a lifetime warranty. For reels, it depends if you want spinning or casting. For spinning I would go for a Shimano Stradic 4000 or 5000. Baitcasting I would recommend the Pflueger President wide spool, about $119.

I agree and use ever thing that Dimpala posted ;)
This last weekend I was on the American and snagged a rock and tried to snap my rod and could not..Shimano Clarus ;)