PDA

View Full Version : what to fish ~ Nov 15

wishn2Bfishn
10-25-2005, 07:32 PM
My nephew and brother are coming up for a few days in mid November. The kid lives to fish and wants to know if he can catch steelies or salmon that late. Fishing is the path to motivate him. Do good in school - get to fish. Screw up and there is lots of labor around a ranch to occupy your weekends. This trip is kind of a reward for getting back on a straight track, so I told him I didn't know, but I knew where some real fishermen hung out and would ask. I plan on posting to the steelhead/salmon board and calling some guides as well. I hope that is not bad etiquette.

If it is too late for the rivers, where do you recommend I take them lake-wise? I'll be coming out of the Roseville/sac area and towing a 19ft boat.

thanks for any input

YakMotor
10-26-2005, 12:52 AM
Probably the most memorable birthday gift I've given my son was a guided salmon fishing trip on the Sacramento River. (Well, least if it's not stuck in his memory it SURE IS IN MINE!)

So my suggestion is to forget the extra work of towing a boat and treat yourself and the young man to a experience you'll share for a lifetime.

Mike Bogue not only provided high quality gear and hands-on how to catch and land limits of salmon he also worked hard to get us into wild fighting trout in the Balls Ferry area. In his jet powered boat the thrill and scenery of the ride was worth the fee. http://www.mikebogue.com/

VS
10-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Aren't they catching salmon right in your neighborhood on the American River and Sacramento River?

A longer haul, but also a more traditional Northwest fishing experience, is to go north on Hwy101 to Eureka/Cresent City area and wade beautiful rivers for steelies (Redwood Creek for ex.) or go on a guided drift trip on the Smith River for steelies and/or salmon.

Check the reports to see which ivers have fish, iof you went up north.

14_blast
10-31-2005, 12:47 PM
The Feather should be open for Steelies.

wishn2Bfishn
11-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks for all of your help.
I offered to pick up the tab for a guide, but my brother was reluctant to go that route. I may do it anyway, because of the training/technique you can absorb from a good guide. I will check in on the boards ahead of their arrival for the best locations and presentations. Depending on the the bite, I'll get their stamps/punch cards.

What's the deal with delta/tributaries stamps? It looks like anything below Nimbus or Oroville needs an extra stamp. I need to reread the regs, as I have only fished lakes and the upper American rivers.

Thanks again for helping me provide an opportunity to two guys that desrerve a day or two being father and son fishing buddies.

slamminsalmon
11-09-2005, 07:40 AM
Wishin, any water that flows unempeeded to the bay needs the stamp, i.e., any water below the a damn/resevior. Good luck with your trip.