PDA

View Full Version : Where's the salmon fishing ground closest to GG?

bluestar
10-07-2005, 03:19 PM
I want to go salmon fishing. Unfortunately the only vessel I can use is a sailboat which is VERY slow. So I am trying to find the closest salmon fishing ground from the Golden Gate. Any suggestions?

65whaler
10-08-2005, 01:19 AM
stay inside and go to california city - between angel isle and tiburon or belvedere. tis the season i believe. (there's folks here that know that spot - i don't)

if you're going out of the gate, head north and stay in 60'-80' of water as far north as the duxbury buoy. there's lot's of action before the buoy, so drop lines anytime after you get past the pt bonita mess.

bluestar
10-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Duxbury Pt is where I usually go (on my buddy's whaler) for salmon. I've always thought there must be some fish between Duxbury and Pt Bonita if the fish makes it into the bay eventually. That being the case, why do all the boats congregate at Dux and virtually no boats fish around Pt Bonita or anywhere in between? ??? ???

I hoped to go outside the Golden Gate with my sailboat because I was told many salmon that come into the bay are no longer feeding. Is fishing in CA City as good as outside the gate?

This is what my understand of where California City is.... Please correct me if I'm wrong:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/rhbj03/CaliforniaCityLocation.jpg

just_kidding
10-08-2005, 07:38 AM
That looks about right to me. You can find the bouys that are out there and use them as a reference. Then use the point at racoon straits and the pier. Then make up your own pattern. As for dux, thats a reef in there and the salmon are stacking up behind that reef and then moving in and out and whatever those clever things do. they have done a good job of out smarting me this year. can't complain because i have fish in the freezer. I have caught fish in raccoon straits, out at yellow bluff, off of baker beach and from the first bouy out past bonita all the way up to double point. just watch the tides. The fish are out there and from what i hear they are banging them up at Bodega. WEIRD!! ???

bluestar
10-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Is there any place around Bolinas to launch a 14' inflatable? (maybe a beach?)

afkvrts
10-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Let me know about the inflatable. Ive got a 10 footer that I want to beach lanch and KNOW it will be fine.

I just need to know where? Im down to come meet you and we can beach launch both our inflatables. !!!

For the past year I have been wanting to launch my boat in Pacifica near the public pier. What do you think.???

I know there are salmon and halibut and stripers in that area. I think its worth a try? Let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
-A

65whaler
10-12-2005, 10:16 AM
if you can carry your inflatable, you can definitely launch from bolinas. drive through the town, the road turns right and ends at a locked gate. you need a key to get onto the beach with a vehicle, but with a 14' inflatable you could probably hoof it. the lagoon channel is a good launch, but it has lot's of current, and you do have to punch through the breakers. the breakers at bolinas are generally pretty benin, but not sure how well an inflatable would do. keep the bow well weighted if you do. ???

that said, after that it's clear sailing to duxbury.

bluestar
10-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Is this the place to launch?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/rhbj03/bolinas.gif