PDA

View Full Version : BLOW-dega

brian_m
10-08-2005, 10:39 AM
hey guys long time no talk!!

well as of right now im looking out of the window at the bait shop and its is a BLOWIN! but i guess the wind is comming down tonight and should be good for tomorrow!

yes tomorrow i might be fishing tomorrow, and im finally gunna be back on the water next saturday for sure!!! and yes the salmon are still snappin up to 30 pounds!!!!

gotta get back to work...ttyl guys

triggerfish
10-08-2005, 06:57 PM
brian i hope that you are right! as i am going to try a pop some abs tommarrow! i will let you guys know how we did! ???

triggerfish
10-09-2005, 04:08 PM
decided to go to ocean cove.very nice weather in the am. motor problems. no abs.

fishpete
10-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Hey brian m ,I will be heading up there on Fri. It will be my first launch up there and could use any tips (I will be in a 16ft aluminum with a 40 merk.) would like to get blood on the deck, any thoughts? I am going for salmon/rockfish. Is ther a bait shop close? I am renting a condo/house at dillon beach with another family. How is the drive from there to the ramp?
Thanks
Pete Hey its not that hard to post...

Fishquest
10-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Pete, will you be launching at Bodega or Tomales? You're staying much closer to Tomales, but there's probably less "local knowledge" required to launch at Westside in Bodega. If you go to BBay, (just guessing, but at least a 30 minute drive I think) the bait shop (Will's) is right along the road to the launch ramp (look for a brown sign on Hiway 1 that says "Westside Park" & "Marinas"). Turn left at that sign, Wills will be on your right just after you make that turn.

Fishing-wise, boats have been limiting on salmon at the mouth of the Russian River for the past few days. That's around 10 miles north of the launch ramp. I heard that they started bulldozing the sandbar to open the river mouth today, so those fish could be long gone by the weekend. There are plenty of places in that general area to rock fish if the salmon are gone. Generally, the further north you travel, the better the grade on the rockfish.

Last week the salmon fishing was really good just a mile or two south of the Tomales entrance in 200' of water. If there are fish still there and you can get some help navigating out there it would save you an awful lot of travel time. There are plenty of places to rockfish there as well, however they are hit pretty hard there from what I've heard.

Another option for rockfishing is the reef that runs from Bodega Head to Tomales. It too gets a lot of pressure, but it is somewhat protected from the weather, which is always a bonus when you're in a small boat. Good luck and be safe.

fishpete
10-12-2005, 05:36 AM
Fishquest thanks for the reply. I will try launching at tomales. Which ramp is closest to the mouth? What about bait shops? I usualy fish uphill (north) of my ramp location, if the water gets bumpy I like to be heading downhill home. Tomales I will be relying on the bouy reports for wave heights. I can handle 7-8ft at 10-11 sec.
I am hoping for salmon but will settle for vermilion fish tacos. Thanks again for your help.
Pete

JasonB
10-12-2005, 05:46 AM
Hey pete if you have never launched from Tomales then I sugggest you either do some serious investigation , or just take the time to go launch at bodega . There is a dangerous sand bar at the mouth of tomales .Alot of people have a hard time navigating it . especially if it is rough . Im sure there are some guys on here that can give you the low down . Although you may have to start a new thread on launching out of tomales or even hit the search link and look around for some old info there sohould be alot of it if you can find it .
good luck .

65whaler
10-12-2005, 09:58 AM
pete - i may be too late to help, but folks are right ... it's much easier to launch in bodega. my boat lives in tomales bay so i always launch from there, but it would not be wise to launch from lawson's without having gone with a guide. this time of year we start to get measurable ground swell from the pac nw. with ground swell (12-18 second interval) is capable of breaking over the enitre tomales bay mouth. there's a point where the deepest part of the channel is only 12' on a low tide. tides can easily reach over 5 knotts. 5 knotts of ebb slamming into ground swell in a 12' sand bar can be trouble for any boat.

the launch has a shop. they'll have everything you need - ice, bait, fuel etc. they also have really good advice - and the advice is the only thing that's free. if you do launch from there, talk up the guys in the shop. they're really helpful and would give you more advice than you could possibly process.

65whaler
10-12-2005, 10:05 AM
oh yeah, hope you got your fish brian - tell us how you did.