PDA

View Full Version : Quest for Red October (Bodega 10/6)

Fishquest
10-06-2005, 06:21 PM
I didn't catch a single salmon after mid-August in '03 or '04 out of Bodega, but this has been the year to make up for it. I know it's late, but these Kings don't check the calendar and they're still cruising around up here.

Although the forecast didn't look great, there appeared to be a chance to get out this morning. Woke up at 5am any checked the bouy...already gusting over 20 knots-DAMN! Almost headed back to bed, but decided to check the wind at the Marine Lab. How about that, it's dead calm. I'm going solo, so I figure why not give it a shot. Maybe I can get out and back before the winds push inshore.

Got to Westside a bit after 7am. Count trailers and I'm the 7th boat to launch. Good omen! Headed out the harbor and into a brilliant sunrise. No wind and flat enough to run 30mph down the coast towards 10 Mile. What a beautiful morning!

Get down to the Trees, lots of birds and a couple of boats working in 200' of water. Started off with a stacked pair of WM Crocs, tried various depths with no action. A couple of radio fish come at 50' on WM Apexes, so I switched over to my late season favorite, a blue & chrome Apex, and drop it down to 50'. Within a couple of minutes I'm hooked up, get a 10-12#er almost into range but it spits the hook. Drop back in and almost instantly I've got another fish on, but just a shaker this time. As Tred would say, "now I know where they live!" Dropped back in, and of course nothing else happens for an hour.

Headed out towards deeper water (220') and dropped my wire down to 100'. That seemed to be the ticket. Had slow, steady action from about 9:30-11am, landing half a dozen shakers, a 21# hen, and then a 16# hen to send me heading home. The wind and the fog rolled in about 10am, so the ride back was a little bumpy, but with two bright red October salmon in the box, I wasn't complaining.

JasonB
10-06-2005, 06:26 PM
I was just sitting here wondering how right the wheather report was . Maybe I'll have to try and do the same thing tomorrow or saturday .

Thanks for the report fishquest.

65whaler
10-08-2005, 01:11 AM
nice report. weather looks 'course', but it may be worth a stab. i'll post if i go. loving chris colombus right about now. ;)