PDA

View Full Version : Oyster Point to Dux

fearnofish
09-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Thinking bout launching out of Oyster tomorrow and heading up and out the gate to Dux. Has anybody here done that recently? What if any precautions must be taken. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

sellhomes2fish
09-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Lots of fishermen make the trek. Just be careful after you get out the gate and hit the "Potato Patch" near Pt. Bonita as it can get pretty rough. There is currently a pretty big swell from the south, combined with the winds from the northwest can cause some sloppy seas. Best advice would be to go with someone who has fished Duxbury. Once you get up there it should be pretty decent if the wind isn't blowing too hard.

fearnofish
09-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Thanks SH2F!
I had to cancel the trip due to having 2 (never been to the ocean) rookies on board. I actually rode my scoot to the bridge yesterday and the water looked pretty confusing to say the least. Hopefully everything settles down this coming weekend!

Thanks again.

cptfishalot
09-18-2005, 12:27 PM
I've done that trek sveral times, it's pretty routine till you get to the GG. It has always worked for me to pick a side and stay on that side till you round the corner, also pay attention to the tides, it will be better to make that trek on an outgoing tide and use the 20/20 rule...(wind and swell) added together shouldn't be more than 20.
Hope you find this helpful...

Collegebound
09-18-2005, 02:39 PM
I've done that trek sveral times, it's pretty routine till you get to the GG. It has always worked for me to pick a side and stay on that side till you round the corner, also pay attention to the tides, it will be better to make that trek on an outgoing tide and use the 20/20 rule...(wind and swell) added together shouldn't be more than 20.
Hope you find this helpful...

Good to know. I'm assuming that when you say swell you mean the height not the frequency. That right?
Mike

cptfishalot
09-18-2005, 03:01 PM
10-4
Be safe out there, I was just reading a report where a boat overturned the other day and a couple of guys spent a night in the water before they reached the shore....

Collegebound
09-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Yeah some commercial fishermen. Lost a 38' boat. thats a shame
Mike

cptfishalot
09-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Here's that story I was talking about

http://www.ktvu.com/news/4986561/detail.htm
Adrift: Battle For Survival Off Ocean Beach

POSTED: 10:03 am PDT September 17, 2005
UPDATED: 10:19 am PDT September 17, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO -- Two fishermen, forced to cling for hours to the makeshift 'rescue float' after their boat was sunk by a rouge wave, washed ashore on San Francisco's Ocean Beach late Friday night alive, but suffering from hypothermia.

The drama began at around 4:15 p.m. Friday when U.S. Coast Guard search and rescue controller Joe Ford got a mayday call. But it was just a short quick -- "mayday, mayday" -- and then silence.

After receiving the call, the Coast Guard immediately dispatched an HH-65 Dolphin Helicopter from Air Station San Francisco, and smallboats from Station San Francisco and Station Golden Gate. A Coast Guard Auxiliary boat was also involved in the search. In addition, the Coast Guard Cutter ALERT, 210- foot ship out of Astoria, Oregon, on routine patrol in the San Francisco area, assisted with communications.

The Coast Guard searched for approximately three hours, covering an area from Point Reyes south to Pillar Point and about 23 miles offshore before suspending the search at about 7:00 p.m.

At about 10:45 p.m., the Coast Guard received a call from friends of the two missing men, reporting them overdue. The friends had also been on the fishing trip and returned safely to Half Moon Bay. The Coast Guard began calling nearby harbors alerting them of the overdue vessel.

Meanwhile, the two fishermen drifted about 10 miles in the 50 degree water on some type of "rescue float" to get back to shore.

The Coast Guard and San Francisco Fire Department responded just before midnight Friday to Ocean Beach, where the men landed.

Both men were treated by EMTs before being taken to University of California, San Francisco Hospital. The sunken boat's skipper, Benny Paxton of Salinas, was treated for mild to severe hypothermia. The Coast Guard said the other fisherman, Millbrae resident Arthur Woods, was in good condition.

Paxton and Woods were coming back from a four-day fishing trip near Stinson Beach when a large wave hit the 38-foot vessel.

The wave "had to be something pretty big," Ford said, since water was sent into a gas hatch, which the Coast Guard reports disabled the boat. According to Ford, the Coast Guard has no intentions of recovering the boat.

fearnofish
09-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the comments!

cptfishalot
09-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Here's one more comment...
I read this awhile back before making weekly treks to the fishing grounds out there.
It gives a clear understanding.....

http://coastsidefishingclub.com/drupal/?q=node/view/58