PDA

View Full Version : the one that got away blues

65whaler
09-06-2005, 11:44 AM
it's what keeps us coming back for more right.

though i must say, ever since i got this sweet 8' medium action shimano talora which replaced my 7' ugly stick, my catch ratio has gone into the crap pots. i've had more fish comeoff this season than any other. this with a pole that has 10 times the flexibility of the ugly. here's my theory.

when i'd fish with the ugly, i'd get a strike, pick up my pole, and feel how much stress the line was under because of the relative rigidity of the ugly. so i'd immediately ease off the drag and let the boy swim. i almost never missed a fish with this method.

with the talora, i've noticed that i haven't been easing off the drag as much - prefering to keep that hook uptight last weekend i lost two monsters, one who broke my line clean off at the hook snell, the other i pulled the hook out of the fishes mouth. nowwith the second fish, it's possible that i barely had a lip hook and the fish was never meant to be, but in both cases, i am clearly needing to lay back on the drag. i just get so excited to see that pole bent into a U. hopefully i'll have another chance this season to redeem my soul. lord have mercy.

65whaler
09-06-2005, 11:47 AM
um, that's just sad. i have no comment.

/65whaler's alter ego

Mickey_Thomas
09-06-2005, 12:11 PM
It even got you talking to yourself 65. ??? I feel your pain, I lost 2 bruisers myself my last time out ??? ??? I hope to change all that this weekend ;) if not I might need therapy. ;D

65whaler
09-06-2005, 12:24 PM
thanks mickey - makes me think that there's lots more like us out there. struggling in the darkness of having knocked that monster off with the net, or giving that trophy just an instant of slack, or the one who wrapped your line around your prop. we should all come together. it's okay to lose a fish. we can't let it destroy us. it helps to talk to others going through the same thing. so when you post to this thread, say your name, like "hello, my name is brian" and know that we're all saying "hello brian". then you say "and i lost a really big fish today". then imagine us cajoling you to tell the morbid details of how thrilled you were when the reel started screaming, and how everything was going just right until ... that fateful moment. it's okay to cry. we'll cry with you. and we'll support you. because after all, they are fish fighting for their lives and we are merely men fighting for our paultry pride. it's okay to lose a fish. it's part of life. [but damn if i'd just eased of on my (*&^*(& drag a couple clicks that monster would be reddish cubes crowding my freezer this very day] but i digress. welcome friends.

Rusty_Hooks
09-06-2005, 12:29 PM
You guys are not alone ::) ::)

Some of us live in denial that the experience ever happened :o ;D ;D ;)

I hope I need therapy after this weekend....chiropractic....therapy..;D ;D

Jan_from_Humboldt
09-06-2005, 03:58 PM
I ham handed a few this season too, I fished the last two days and although I got limits both days and they were real nice fish I got smoked by a few hogs too.

I fish 50# power pro and then 40# leaders and had a few snap me off cause I cinched up on the drag (Yes I do know better, just got excited and went brain dead at the same time)

Ah well the one that got away is always the biggest one of the season.

Next season I'm going to make some leaders with 80# spectra or wire. lol

Fishbutt21
09-06-2005, 04:07 PM
For me losing salmon is a betting game I hope for every lost salmon is a chance to land a sturgeon this winter.I am now on my third trip with no salmon in the box that I landed.maybe a good season in the bay ;)

levelwined
09-06-2005, 04:21 PM
I think we all understand your pain ??? But we just have to be thankful we got the chance to fish..
There is nothing worse than haveing your casting finger itch and not being able to scratch it :(

gmdcdvm
09-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Not only have we all been there before, but it hurts even worse when its your first time out. Over the last 2 years I have taken various people out on party boats for their first salmon fishing experience. When there are 4 to 8 rookies it almost goes without saying that someone is going to lose a fish, and it has happened every time. The worst was the guy I took this year who had what seemed like a god 20lb-er (Thats my story and I am sticking to it). He let the line go slack for one second and out popped the hook. Poor guy, it was his first time fishing in the ocean. At least he was able to reel in a very small just a hair above the minimum keeper, but I don't think he could forget "the one that got away".

Rusty_Hooks
09-06-2005, 05:24 PM
No one ever forgets "the one that got away"... ;D ;D

CORN
09-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Good, honest post 65whaler. It's actually encouraging hearing that veteran salmon chasers lose fish too.

I've only trolled for my salmon twice on my boat. The first trip, I lost a big one because I used an Echip RSK right out of the package. I learned and now re-tie everything. Better hooks. Better line.

That same trip, I broke my net lifting a 28lber into the boat ... horizontally! :-/ I'll do the vertical lift next time.

2nd trip: first fish, BIG! Pulled drag like I was using a snoopy rod and 2lb test. I kept tightening and tightening and tightening. SNAP. So I've learned to let the fish run. This seems to be the biggest tip for landing the big ones ... loose drags catch more fish. That's what I hear.

It's those "BIG" fish that get away that make us want to come back for more. I think we all need redemption for those fish we lose.

Then I start thinking... what else can I do to increase my chances. Better main line? better rod? better reel? better flashers? scent? etc?? It's a serious addiction. Especially since this is one of the few fish I catch that I'll actually eat.

65whaler
09-12-2005, 02:10 PM
corn - yep, letting the big ones run ... obvious as it sounds ... is my renewed mantra. it is the ones we've lost that we remember best, and keep us coming back. my dad refers to this aspect of fishing as "an intractable progressive disease that is resistant to all medical treatment".

fishenrick
09-12-2005, 07:49 PM
I am no veteran but usually land fish most times and usually lose fish each time , I think it just comes with the territory or is it just called fishing, whatever it is called it just plain hurts when you lose a nice fish, in fact I am headed to bodega tomorrow hopefrully not to get my feelings hurt, see ya on the water.

Fishenrick