PDA

View Full Version : major problem catching salmon

somebody
09-12-2005, 07:37 AM
we just got back from canada and a bad fishing. I posted this someplace but cant find it. here goes. when we were 100 or 150 ft back we caught lings and bottom fish and saw them on the chart but few if any in the 20-45 ft range. boats to our left, right and ahead were catching but we did not even get hits except for 2 coho. we were like the other boats- 30-50 ft back, 21-40 ft down. hoothies, army trucks, herring in rotary killers and every other lure we had. zilch. flourcarbon 30 lb leaders 42-60 inches behind flashers. like everyone else. i sugested we were putting out massive electric and herding fish to the other boats to either side and in front of us. there were 4 of us in the other guys boat. i was told i was stupid. something was definetly wrong. any ideas? one boat got 9 in 1 1/2 hours. we were on the water for 4 days and 6-7 hours a day

drstressor
09-12-2005, 08:23 AM
While it's possible that you were in a skunk boat, there are tricks for catching spawner Kings and Cohoe in BC that I learned when I lived there. First, you were using too long a leader for silvers. For hoochies, you need to shorten the leaders to 18-20" to give them the proper kick. 18-25 ft is the best depth for these fish and they like the lure or bait moving fast. They also like a much tighter "roll" on the anchovy or herring. Many times they will just ignore a bait that flops around at the higher trolling speeds they prefer. Spawner Kings (or Springs as they are called up there)like a much longer leader behind the flasher (sometimes increasing from 6 to 7 ft makes all the difference), a slower trolling speed, a slower "roll" to the bait, and depths from 25-50 ft down. The biggest ones seem to move close to the bottom just outside of the kelp beds.

While you may think that you are doing the same things as the other boats, the trolling pattern is very important. You need to troll either with the tide or at an angle across the tide. The action of the lure or bait is determined by the speed through the water, not your absolute speed over the bottom. So the guys who know what they are doing up there constantly adjust their speed according to the movement of the tide and the angle at which they are moving with the tide. They also pay careful attention to exactly what they were doing when they hook up. What seems like simple trolling is an art form up there.

Where did you fish BTW?

somebody
09-12-2005, 11:01 AM
if btw is by the way we were at haggards cove and fishing between there and bamfield on vancuver island

drstressor
09-12-2005, 11:16 AM
If you had a problem catching fish in August through early September up there, you really did have a problem. ;)

Barkely Sound was and still is one of my favorite places in the world. ;D

somebody
09-12-2005, 11:19 AM
thanks for the feedback. we went out of port alberni and out the channel. saw some nice alum. boats made there and whiskey creek. even barge boats with fold up wheels and landing craft front doors. cabin in rear. whiskey creek boats alum. with 200 horse volvo, 60.000.00 plus interior. eng diesel

somebody
09-12-2005, 11:29 AM
everyone including guides were using 42 inch leaders. we followed guide from haggards cove where we stayed. they told us to. we followed his and rons instructions to the letter. i know we had a major problem but what is it? i still think elect. a commercial skipper told me ,4 volts for coho and .7 for kings before we left but we did not haveion or black box. i still thinkg hei ignition and motors outboard and not grounded to batteries/

drstressor
09-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Quite a haul from Port Alberni. So you did notice that EVERYBODY up there runs black boxes. And they build really rugged aluminum work and fishing boats up there. Much better bang for the buck up there if you don't mind boats that aren't pretty.

You may have been on a bad boat. But you can overcome most any voltage leak effects by using a 100 ft or greater setback.

I almost bought 5 acres on Deer Island right outside of Bamfield back in the '80's. Worse mistake I ever made was not paying the asking price.

somebody
09-12-2005, 12:27 PM
they said they were not using black boxs at least the guide from haggards cove, hes the one who caught 9 in 1 1/2 hours. we sure made him look good.

65whaler
09-12-2005, 12:40 PM
sounds like a case of real bad luck. i could see the point that maybe you didn't have quite a short enough leader in front of the hootchie, but it sounds like you were changing your gear around pretty frequently. interesting theory on the voltage - just find it hard to believe that if you're down and out 25' that it would matter much.

drstressor
09-12-2005, 02:37 PM
I used to catch silvers out of Bamfield on a 4" silver Coyote spoon 5' behind a 1 oz banana sinker 150 ft behind the boat. No flasher, no nuthin'. We would put down flasher with anchovies and krippled anchovy heads on the downriggers for springs and just tow the Coyote from a rod holder at the middle of the transom. The Coyote would just kill those silvers while we worked for the springs.