PDA

View Full Version : BODEGA REPORT 9.08.05

THE_TROUTKING
09-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Well someone had to do it ;D . Three of us went out and it was a little sloppy in the morning the fleet was between the towers and south of abbits laggon.We scraped up too salmon one 17 pounds and a little keeper. ;).We lost a 8 pounder at the boat and had several scratch baits and missed sevael fish on a watermelon apex.the action was pretty good,the 17 pounder which I caught ;D ;D.came on straight bait FBR green the other one came one char.rsk straight bait. Fished in 100 ft off water to 70 outside of the fleet one came at 25 pulls #2 wieght and the other came at 40 feet on the wire,To bad about the weekend I already had saterday off ;).

Brian

Fishquest
09-08-2005, 05:28 PM
We did it too ;D! Fished between the Towers and the upper lot this morning with my mom and my brother-in-law. Had a quick start with 2 nice fish and two shakers in the first half hour (7:30-8am) then a drought during the tide change. Started picking 'em back up around 10, and finished with our 3 limits at 1pm. Trolled in 60-100' of water, all the fish came 50-60' on the wire, blue and silver apex, except the devil fish, which came on a red croc at 30 pulls. The fish fought like salmon today, not those super-wild things we had to contend with last week. Today we hooked six good fish (5 in the upper teens and a 24lber.) and landed them all.

Supperman
09-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Great reports!
There was thing missing though....ME!!!

Fish On!

gone fishin
09-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Way to go guys... ;D ;D

I was looking forward getting back out this weekend. Next week looks better weather wise... But Saturday is going to be a blow out... :'( :'(

Nice fish guys....

Mickey_Thomas
09-08-2005, 06:50 PM
If it's good on Monday and Tuesday I'll be there and Hammer too ;D Good report, thanks for rubbing it in ;) ;D

HUND
09-08-2005, 07:40 PM
I sure hope it's good tomorrow. Be pulling in to westside around 6:30.

The weather sounds iffy ...

fish4fun
09-09-2005, 07:19 AM
Fished 10 mile beach area down around the towers with 2 friends on Thurs. Ended up with two fish. Nice ones.. 26 and 27 lbs. What really puzzled us was that we had nine other hits where nothing got hooked. Two of those hits were so hard they dropped the 2 lb balls we were using. We were using RSKs and FBRs with herring. The herring weren't large ones, but may have been too large for the rotaries. Does anyone have any good tips on how to properly rig a rotary and what size bait works best? Any help is appreciated.. Thanks.. Larry

fishenrick
09-09-2005, 08:06 AM
I have always wondered how a person breaks off a nice salmon, well I had one break off yesterday at elephant, loose drag and all, peeled off a 180 feet of line and then nothing, reeled my line in to find my fbr gone, 3 inches below the chain swivel my leader was frayed, it was a brand new leader, not sure how it got frayed but dam it did and dam I lost a nice fish cause of it.After that I headed down ten mile but got there a little late the bite had slowed down, lost a couple of fish there caught alot of jelly fish, headed back to elephant and with in an hour my son and I limited out with 3 small salmon in the 5 to 6 lb range and one nice 14lber to end the day, 150 feet of water, 60 and 35 feet down on the wire, green fbrs,watermelon flashers, if you are going to fish near the towers get there early and I heard that one of the hot lures for one of the party boats that limited out was the smoked colored apex it out did the watermelon good luck.

fishenrick

Fishquest
09-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Larry-you can buy herring-size heads of the FBR variety, but you have to rig them yourself. It's important no matter what size your bait is to have the hook right on the tail. I've cut the plastic spacers on some of my FBRs so I have some short ones that work with smaller baits. I've taken the piece I cut off and used that as an extension to use with larger baits. I also use the small rubber bands to hold the hook tight to the tail.

Lately Apexes have been working as well or better than bait. Yesterday I was running one FBR and one Apex on my downriggers. The first two big fish came on the Apex, so I switched out the FBR and ran two Apexes. It's much more efficient not having to constantly check and change baits.

There were a lot of big jellies in the water yesterday that were popping our lines out of the downrigger clips. I don't know if they would drop balls if you hooked them, but it might be another explanation.

fish4fun
09-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Fishquest, Thanks for your reply. I'm going to get some plastic tubing and retie some FBR's and RSK's so the hook is down near the tail. Will also use Apexes the next time out.. Larry

65whaler
09-10-2005, 03:55 PM
of course, there's nothing wrong with snelling two hooks behind that fbr or rsk head. ;)