PDA

View Full Version : Slow Salmon Season...

panfish_popper
09-06-2005, 12:12 PM
In my opinion this Salmon Season was pretty bad. It was real slow for me and there were very few limits caught. How did you all do so far? Did you do Good or Bad? Maybe next year will be better....

Fishquest
09-06-2005, 03:06 PM
I've heard a lot of comments just like your's. *Those reports of a record year haven't resulted in fish in the box for a lot of folks.

This is only my 3rd year fishing the ocean, and maybe it's beginner's luck, but I've had a fantastic year so far. *I got 3 limits my first trip out this year (HMB) and have fished the remainder of the time out of Bodega. *To date on my boat we've kept 67 salmon, with 15 over 20 lbs and the biggest weighing 33 lbs. *I think I've been skunked twice, but have had limits at least 80% of the times I've been out.

I know that there were several occasions where I had fish and the rest of the fleet was complaining. *The only thing I think I do differently than most is I'm pretty quick to try deep if nothing else is working. *If there's bait or birds but nobody catching fish, I'll drop my downrigger to 125-200' (or as close to the bottom as I can get) and work the area. *It's saved me several times this year.

The other thing I do is to try to make the most out of every opportunity I have out there. *I want to make sure each bite turns into a fish in the box. *I replace all of the hooks on my lures with larger, better quality ones. *I re-tie all of my leaders; I drill bigger holes in my Apexes for the line to pass through; I keep the boat in gear and keep the fish where I want him until I'm ready to net him. *When the fishing is wide-open you can afford to make some mistakes and lose a few fish. *This year the opportunities have been pretty limited, so a lost fish or two can be the difference between a good day and a lousy one.

AzSprig
09-06-2005, 03:16 PM
SLOW :o Of my 4 trips out of Moss and Ft. Bragg, I have put 8 fish in the box to 40 lbs, it has been a great year for me ;D

gmdcdvm
09-06-2005, 04:58 PM
I have been pretty lucky this year. I went out 4 times (all between late April and early June) for salmon, and there was only one day where the boat (or myseld) did not have limits. Even on that day I managed one nice 12lb-er in the box. My first day out in late April I got 7 alone. I have yet to get skunked, but its definitely not like last year. Oh well, thats why its called fishing....

Mickey_Thomas
09-06-2005, 06:17 PM
I figure I've had a good year, Hammer and I limited 4 trips in a row, Bodega, Moss Landing, Bodega again, and Moss again, and a couple of the trips were 2 day limits. I've fished out the gate twice and had a skunk for myself but the boat wasn't. Last time at Bodega I lost 2 big ones, and boated nothing but Rock Fish. I'm going this Sat. to Bodega to make up for my last few trips ;) I feel a 35+ pounder in is the cards ;D ;D of course I always feel that way 8)

65whaler
09-06-2005, 06:31 PM
i never limited this year. and i take it personally. don[t blame the fish. must be my luhrs. am i fat?

CORN
09-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Compared to last year, I'd say it's slow. Last year, I remember fishing on Prime Time Adventures. I had my limit after 30 minutes of fishing, and continued to catch a few more... all mooching! But the real kicker is that up to that point, the boat had gotten salmon limits for something like 45 straight days.

gmdcdvm
09-06-2005, 10:34 PM
I know what you mean Corn about limits. Last year was an amazing season. My favorite was reeling to check my bait, seeing the skeleton I was dragging, and then watching it get picked up by a 15lb-er. They would pretty much bite almost anything last year. Hopefully it will pick up soon, and if not there is always next year.

redherring
09-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Too me it's been kinda of a hit or miss year, if you got out during the times that they were "hitting" then you probably did pretty well. Overall I don't think this year could have been considered a banner year for salmon, the window of opportunity this year was alot shorter than previous years, the hot bite came in spurts of about a week or so. You could get reports early in the week that the bite was on, then by the weekend the bite could have easily shut off. Over the last 10 years or so there has has been one "dominant" species that did overwhelmingly better than others and I think that this year was the year of the Striped Bass. I and I think many others did fairly well as far as limiting out on the Bass this year and they were all over the place, from the Delta to the Ocean Beaches. We did have some wierd weather patterns this year as we had hot weather early this year and the North Winds that stopped blowing for about 2 months that caused the Ocean temps to rise and pushed the Salmon all over the place.

Jan_from_Humboldt
09-07-2005, 07:56 AM
My only gripe is I didn't get to get out enough, between having a knee operation and the boat motor crapping out mid season I only got out a dozen or so times.
But I only had a skunk aboard once, the rest of the time it was limits every time.

It was a good season, lots of fish the first half and real big fish the second half.

White (Pearl) hootchie is the secret weapon.

We had a lot of crap weather here too.

JasonB
09-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Over all I think its been a great season for salmon fishing . But one problem has been with the water not cooperating for me . Not looking good for this weekend either . >:(

gloomis
09-07-2005, 04:18 PM
its been a great year, we only went out once on a weeklong trip but over that week we got 34 slamon and tons of 20lbers and one that was about 35.

Team_Sheryl_Lee
09-07-2005, 05:42 PM
bodega was slower than i expected this year
during the hotest bites i was always hung up one way or another
managed to boat serveral but was hoping to get out for a few more

TSL

just_kidding
09-07-2005, 06:12 PM
We still have some time to make it a good year. I've had a lot of those should have been here yesterday epispdes. But changing it up and throwing JUNK has done real well for me. It's only September 7th. Usually Bodega slows down and the fish really turn on off of Muir, Rocky and Dux. As far as I know, no reports of a hot bite on the rivers. Those fish are gonna show. Todays repot for Dux is a lot of fish and they are all big. Patience and we should address the slow season in mid November when we have vacum sealed salmon being broken out for Christmas and New Years. ;)

65whaler
09-08-2005, 10:40 AM
i think this has been a hard season for us "weekenders" (i despise that term by the way - congrats to those of you who don't have to work during the "week"). the sporadic bite favored those who had their ear to the shore and their boat off the trailor. even the weekend days when the fishing was good, there would be so much boat traffic on top of it that the fish would go deep - or away.

Jan_from_Humboldt
09-08-2005, 12:36 PM
The weekends were the same here in Eureka, it was either blowing you off the water or when it was nice anything that would float was out on the water.

Weather wise it's been a strange year, it seemed like we had more nasty weather than we has good weather.

I know that when I bought the boat on 5/9 we had 12 inches of rain here by the end of June. :'(

The_Reel_Won
09-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Great year!! And its not over yet ;)