PDA

View Full Version : Bodega 8-26-05

CORN
08-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Today was a day of bonehead mistakes.

Dropped our lines just north of McClure's Beach at 7:15am. At 7:40, I get a monstrous hit. This fish is powerful, keeps pulling drag. So I tighten it a little to slow it down, then a little more, then a little more. Finally, I'm able to start bringing it in. Then it makes another hard run and SNAP. Lost it. I check my drag and it is wayyyyy TOO TIGHT!! Mistake number one. Next time, I'll just let him run.

9am we get another hit. This time the drag is set right and we box it. 22lbs.

9:45am, we hook another 20+ pounder, just south of Elephant Rock. My wife works it, and I get it into the net. I'm just about to lift the net, when a big wake hits us. I lose my balance and the net tilts to the left. I watch in slow motion as the salmon slides right out, leaving the FBR in the net. Mistake #2.

10:50am, we get another hit. It peels out several times and then gets off when it charges towards the boat.

We get no other hits after 11am, except a blue rockfish. Called it a day at 2pm.

2 fish were caught on clear FBRs, one fish on a clear RSK and one fish on a chartreuse RSK. 3 fish at 25 pulls, 1 fish at 40 pulls. All fish caught in 40-50 feet of water. No shakers, only BIG fish.

Picture to follow in a few days.

65whaler
08-26-2005, 09:06 PM
lol. that's why they call it fishing aye? my favorite time of year this stuff.

Fishquest
08-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Sorry to hear you lost some nice fish. *Some days just seem to be like that. *Learn from your mistakes so they don't happen again, because they really haunt you on days like today when the fish are few and far between.

I might have seen you out there today; one of the few fish we saw landed looked like a husband/wife team just south of Elephant. *I was in my 22' Grady center console w/t-top. *I had on a bright orange coat most of the morning.

Our day was similar, hooked 4 good fish, landed 3. *Fourth one just came unbuttoned for no real reason. *The fish fought strangely today. *The one my buddy landed started stripping line immediately and came clear out of the water 3 times. *Both of the fish I landed were quite content to swim right up to the boat; I initially thought they were shakers, and they were both over 20 lbs ???. *One was all the way up alongside the boat, and I didn't realize what I had until I saw it. *Then had to scamble to clear lines/downriggers. *Could have easily been one of those bonehead mistakes ;).

CORN
08-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Yes, we're still on a learning curve. That was only our second time trolling for salmon in our boat. We'll eventually work out the kinks.

Sounds like you did alright. I have to admit. I have tunnel vision when I'm out there. I pay no attention to other boats, unless we're heading for each other, or crossing paths. I couldn't tell you how others were doing. I just assumed it was a decent bite, since we hooked 4 by 11am.

We hooked one fish near McClures, one close to Elephant Rock and 2 between Elephant Rock and the northern section of 10 mile. I was in an Arima, sitting on the back left side of the boat, controlling our kicker.

CORN
08-27-2005, 05:41 AM
Fishquest, my wife said that she saw someone with a bright orange jacket netting a salmon. She remembered you because of that jacket. ;D Good color to have in case you fall overboard.

Fishquest
08-27-2005, 06:12 AM
Yeah, it's a blessing and a curse. We had a pair of fish on yesterday, and I heard someone on the radio call to their buddy "the guys next to us have a double going, head south and look for the guy in the bright orange coat". I took my coat off for a while after that because the traffic around our boat got a little heavy. ;)

Rusty_Hooks
08-27-2005, 07:00 AM
Yeah...it's tough to be popular ::) ;D ;D ;)

Keep it up...I just may have to get out the guns too ;)

CORN
08-27-2005, 07:09 AM
Yeah, it's a blessing and a curse. *We had a pair of fish on yesterday, and I heard someone on the radio call to their buddy "the guys next to us have a double going, head south and look for the guy in the bright orange coat". *I took *my coat off for a while after that because the traffic around our boat got a little heavy. ;)

LOL Fishquest! Too funny. I never use my radio. It's set on Channel 16 for that one time when I'll need it. I'll have to do something about that ... would probably have more fish if I did. Or, I can just look for something bright and orange next time I'm out there. ;D

CORN
08-27-2005, 08:52 PM
We spent a majority of our time just north of McClure Beach to the northern section of 10 mile. Overcast most of the day, very light wind, and flat water.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/6011/bodega11dm.jpg

22 pounder on the left. 36 pounder on the right:

http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/3369/salmon50by.jpg

AllFishNoWork
08-28-2005, 05:59 AM
Nice pic!

Mickey_Thomas
08-28-2005, 06:39 AM
Corn, you did a lot better than Sunracer and Hammer and myself, we landed only one out of four ??? fishing the same water as you. All big ones, and all good fighters. That 36 pounder sure is a cutie ;D ;D

CORN
08-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks Mickey. i guess that goes with the territory : big fish = more mishaps.

Mickey_Thomas
08-28-2005, 02:05 PM
You should have seen Sunracer battle a big one all the way to the boat just to have it turn under the boat and break off on the motor. I call it the wimpy rod release. ;D ;D it was a brute too ::)

steelheadslayer
08-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Anna I were out there yesterday (sat. the 27th) it was prety slow but a great day! ;D
started out at 200' of water off 10 mile got one 10#er at 7:45 using a chartruse green apex and green glow flasher @ 40'. started working our way back in. and nothing for a long time then Anna And i decided to run two of the same lure, one with flasher and one with out. @65' in 70' of water then "wham!" anna got hit and her line was screamin! then again "wham!" my line started screamin,
we had a double "i couldnt belive it...then the chineese fire drill started ::)
two big fish on... hmmm how do we net one to get the other in so Anna got her fish up to the boat and then she saw my fish as it got up to the boat. She couldn't believe how big my fish was so she put her pole in the holder & went for the net. My fish started to take off when it got to the boat so Anna put the net down & tryed getting her fish in but it took off. My fish got near the boat & it started looking tired so Anna netted the fish & then we netted hers. Anna 25lbs & mine 30lbs. No fish lost happy day . ;D
well see if i can get the pictures posted

Team_Sheryl_Lee
08-28-2005, 03:12 PM
well glad to hear some body caught a few

went out sat morn
back at dark
2 lings
20 nice rockies
no salmon
heard of a few...very few
saw one lost at the boat
must have been my trun in the barrel
same area as above

TSL

CORN
08-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Steelheadslayer, that sounds a little like our 8-20-05 report. Except your fish were bigger. Nice job.

Thanks for the report TSL. Hopefully, there will be another run. I need to redeem myself from Friday's errors.

Rusty_Hooks
08-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Anna I were out there yesterday (sat. the 27th) it was prety slow but a great day! ;D
started out at 200' of water off 10 mile got one 10#er at 7:45 using a chartruse green apex and green glow flasher @ 40'. started working our way back in. and nothing for a long time then Anna And i decided to run two of the same lure, one with flasher and one with out. @65' in 70' of water then "wham!" anna got hit and her line was screamin! then again "wham!" my line started screamin,
we had a double "i couldnt belive it...then the chineese fire drill started ::)
two big fish on... hmmm how do we net one to get the other in so Anna got her fish up to the boat and then she saw my fish as it got up to the boat. She couldn't believe how big my fish was so she put her pole in the holder & went for the net. My fish started to take off when it got to the boat so Anna put the net down & tryed getting her fish in but it took off. My fish got near the boat & it started looking tired so Anna netted the fish & then we netted hers. Anna 25lbs & mine 30lbs. No fish lost happy day . ;D
well see if i can get the pictures posted

Way too cool!! great job on the chinese fire drill..LMAO

They've been in 50-70 feet of water off ten mile for a few days...nice to see some big fish coming in!!

Mickey_Thomas
08-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks for reprinting that report Rusty, I heard the report first hand when Rick and Anna called me to brag about it but I still like reading it ;D ;D I think I would have missed it without the reprint ::) Good job Rick and Anna, I bet your freezer is full now ;D ;D ;D time for a family BBQ? 8)

steelheadslayer
08-28-2005, 08:18 PM
thanks Mick and Corn, and rusty, actualy we had a bbq today and theres always room for more Salmon in the freezer ;D

65whaler
08-29-2005, 10:04 AM
sounds like things are still bumpin down/up there ... i can only hope it holds through the week. i've got that 3 day weekend coming up and hoping to get into a couple more of those big fish. it's bound to slow down some, but i'll be happy to get out there and drag some bait.

Rusty_Hooks
08-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Like he said..."Theres always room in the freezer for more salmon"

And if things get tight....buy another freezer ;) ;D...

At least for the salmon 8) ::)

gone fishin
08-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Hey great reports everyone, I've been away from my computer for the last 4 days, Just getting caught up on whats up.

Sounds like the big bite is still going on..
Way to go... ;D ;D

Just booked a Tuna trip with Capt. Dave of the Payback for the middle of next month for a Tuna trip. I haven't done this before up this way so I need a guide to show us the ropes.

Take care and good luck....

CORN
08-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Yes, I sure hope this rumor about a "late run" materializes... because I'm just getting the hang of it. Not ready for the season to end yet.

steelheadslayer
08-29-2005, 07:06 PM
there's supposed to be another run of big fish comming down from the fort bragg area, it's wide open up there right now.
i just sent *Gonefishin' our pics maybe he'll post them for us ;D

gone fishin
08-30-2005, 09:03 AM
Awesome day Stealhead slayer (Rick & Anna)... ;D ;D

Check out thses nice kings...Way to go guys...

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/bodegadouble05_009.JPG

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/bodegadouble05_007.JPG

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/bodegadouble05_003.JPG

CORN
08-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Oh yeah! Way to go Rick & Anna! :D Nice fish & great pictures.

Intimidator
08-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Nice fish.
Those big pigs from Fort brag were still there friday.
If those things make it down to Bodega bay...LOOK OUT!!
I made the run up there to get them and it was well worh the fuel spent.

duckhunter916
08-30-2005, 11:53 AM
i want to go out there so bad but i dont got enough time :-/

steelheadslayer
08-30-2005, 03:14 PM
im still re-living the moment over and over,
me and Anna fighting two kings at the same time, she did such a great job at fighting her fish and netting mine at the same time un beliveable :o.
could'nt ask for a better woman.
thanks again Ron for posting for us

Rusty_Hooks
08-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Count your blessings Rick!!!

One very lucky man ;)

steelheadslayer
08-30-2005, 04:30 PM
thank you Rusty!

THE_TROUTKING
08-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Way to go I like see pics.Even if I wasnt the one catching
;D ;D ;D.

Brian

Mickey_Thomas
08-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Rick, first time in a long time you caught a bigger one than my favorite niece Anna ;D ;D ;D nice pic's of a couple of nice hogs, very cool 8)

steelheadslayer
09-01-2005, 05:15 PM
thank you uncle Mick ;D