PDA

View Full Version : Lead balls, downriggers, or deep sixes on ur boat?

Collegebound
08-27-2005, 10:25 AM
I just wanted to get an idea of what everyone uses for salmon on their boats. Also, whats a good rod for dropping cannonballs with sinker releases?
Mike

CORN
08-27-2005, 09:05 PM
If you think you'll be doing a lot of trolling and can afford it, get a downrigger. I just started trolling for salmon, so I use the 2.5lb balls with a sinker release. For that I use a Tiger Ugly Stick rated for 12-30lb test, 7'. My other trolling rod is like those used on the charter boats. 7', rated 15-40lbs. It works, but I think it's a little stiff. I prefer the lighter rod. It has more bend and keeps the line tight a little bit longer in case the salmon decides to swim towards the boat.

misfits
08-28-2005, 09:40 AM
About 8 years ago we used to use deep sixes for salmon they work good and you not throwing all that lead away. With the deep sixes we use offshore angler gold cup rods and penn 320 GTI's great combo. Now we still use those rods but use Scotty long arm electric down riggers if you can afford them buy downriggers. Just my opinion.
Chris

triggerfish
08-28-2005, 03:18 PM
finmuffin,downriggers on each side of the boat and if there is a 3 person then a cannonball relese in the middle.Im concerdering getting electtics so I will have some manuals for sale soon. P.M.me if you are interested in some cannon easytrollers.

Team_Sheryl_Lee
08-28-2005, 03:24 PM
i have all on board
snapped a down rigger line yesterday and had no extra balls
went to the 2 and 1/2 lb with sinker release
didn't get any hits on the salmon at all yesterday
2 lings 20 rockies
i keep a deep six-pinklady set up ready to drop
normally keep an apex tied to it
i use that for a quick drop in while i set up my other gear
as in bait changes and fish boxing
for salmon fishing i like a long limber rod
for bottom fishing i like a stouter rod

TSL

14_blast
08-29-2005, 06:43 AM
If I'm lazy, I use my 12-30lbs Calstar 7' rod with the 2.5 leadball and release. If I feel good, I'll use my scotty manual downriggers with my 8'6" fenwick fiberglass steelhead rod.

sunracer1957
08-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Being an old Great Lakes guy I don't see the need to run lead when you have products like Deep Sixes and Dipsey Divers!! even if you don't have downriggers these other products work very well and why leave lead at the bottom of the Sea.

You can get a #1 Dipsey to run at 70' deep and they came out with a larger model last year, if you need to be down deeper then downriggers are the proper choice.

I just don't get the lead thing, it will kill ya yet we tons of that stuff at the bottom every year..

65whaler
08-29-2005, 09:45 AM
i'm with most of the fellas on this. dropping a well documented poisonous heavy metal on the ocean floor just beneath the fish you wish to eat just seems wrong. manual downriggers are just fine if you're fishing less than 100' down (i fished one out once that deep). i think i worked the price of the downriggers out to 40 strikes a long time ago - i can't remember the math though. i think i've had at least thirty since i installed them ... that's 30 less canonballs rotting in the ocean.

downriggers are much more comfortable and accurate once you get used to using them also.

another advantage - if the surface of the water is particularly smooth, you can set your line 20' or more behind the wire and get further away from the churn of your motor which discourages salmon when the water is quiet.

which leads to my second reccomendation. deep sixers work just fine. you can get down about 30' with them which is a fine depth for catchings salmon most days, and you can get it way behind the boat. as with the downrigger when you want to check bait, just give a tug to release it and real it in with ease.

65whaler
08-29-2005, 09:47 AM
oh, and for the rod, i use an 8' shimano talora. i used to use a 7' ugly stick, which i still like, but the talora gives lots of bend under the tension of the downrigger or deep six, which of course you want when they hit.

Sea_Snake
08-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Sinker release all the way. I am a welder so i make my weights out of scrap steel that way i dont feel qulity throwing lead in to the sea, I had down riggers and tried using them, there just to much work If your fishing with a buddy and you get a large fish on first your buddy has to reel his rod in and then crank up that downrigger and then grab the net. if you dont bring that stuff up a large fish will swim from side to side and under the boat and tangle up. And there will be that time you snag the downrigger weight on the bottom of the sea or an old crab trap line and it could cause damage to your boat where you have it mounted.last but not least I would rather drop a two pound weight on the deck of my boat than a five pound or more weight. Just my thoughts

Fishtale
08-29-2005, 05:16 PM
I use electric downriggers just because I'm lazy ;D ;D

Jan_from_Humboldt
08-29-2005, 06:41 PM
I don't like dumping lead in the ocean both beacause it's toxic and you are throwing money away.

I haven't equiped my boat with down riggers as I prefer to troll using things like deep sixes, the #2 deep six with 7 ounzes of weight on it is a real deep diving tool.

The trick is is to not use one of those 11 inch pro troll dodgers as they provide a lot of resistance and will keep your stuff shallow.

I use the Luhr Jensen #0 dodger instead for going really deep.

Don't get me wrong, I use the Pro Troll stuff a lot, the glow chartruce is a killer but I can't get it to go as deep as the other stuff.

I troll using 30-50 pound spectra for its small diameter and make my leaders from at least 30# mono (I prefer 40) also use good hooks. I use at least a 6/0 stainless siawash and keep them sharp! using a little larger hook really improved my hook up ratio.

When I go deep I also have to slow down to about 1.5 to 2 knots and I'll let more line out (Like 50-75') and slow way down for 20 seconds or so to let the gear sink some and then speed back up to troll speed. This moves your gear through the water colum and will sometimes produce fish

steelheadslayer
08-29-2005, 07:23 PM
i like downriggers, I can stack up to 3 lines on each one and most time i dont need to clear the deck but with a big fish you almost have to

Jan_from_Humboldt
08-29-2005, 08:01 PM
I fish by myself a lot and the thought of driving the boat, handling a fish and keeping track of a downrigger system (As in keeping it out of the prop) is more than I really want to tackle.

Besides the lack of the downrigger isn't keeping me from catching a lot of fish. I've been hooking 8-10 fish per hour up here.

steelheadslayer
08-30-2005, 04:33 PM
yes i can vouch for that! driving a boat and trying to set a couple of rods in a downrigger is trickey work, the boat has to be moving and you have to keep it from going in circles ???
the great thing about them is,
when you have a fish on, all you feel is the fish no weights.
and your not dropping led all over the ocean floor where you like to catch butts and rockies too.

65whaler
08-30-2005, 04:51 PM
I use at least a 6/0 stainless siawash and keep them sharp! using a little larger hook really improved my hook up ratio.

not to change the subject, but don't you find that 6/0 siwash are a tad big? i was using them all last year but found that i could only use them well with big herring - i've had much better success with anchovies and there's no anchovy big enough for that hook.

this year i've been tying clear rsk heads with two 5/0 octapus hooks stacked just an inch from snell to snell. hookups have been good, i can use any bait i want and i've never lost a fish due to a hook failure.

Jan_from_Humboldt
08-30-2005, 08:51 PM
not to change the subject, but don't you find that 6/0 siwash are a tad big? i was using them all last year but found that i could only use them well with big herring - i've had much better success with anchovies and there's no anchovy big enough for that hook.

this year i've been tying clear rsk heads with two 5/0 octapus hooks stacked just an inch from snell to snell. hookups have been good, i can use any bait i want and i've never lost a fish due to a hook failure.

No I don't as I never stick the hook in the bait that I'm trolling here's a link to a picture of what I use...

http://groups.msn.com/chickensandpets/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=13

The hook just hangs free right at the tail of the bait with the head of the bait in the holder, I've been using the cheap bagged 5-6 inch bait and have caught a lot of fish with this rig

65whaler
08-31-2005, 12:06 PM
looks deadly. how do you keep that hoochie from creeping down to the bait head?

and does that cripple head have a spin fin on it? the ones i have don't - i get the spin by kinking it with the hook. ???

Jan_from_Humboldt
08-31-2005, 12:26 PM
The bait holder has 2 fins

http://www.fishcatcher.com/fishcatcher.html#BULLET

and I put 2 1/4 inch red beads in front of the holder and the head of the hootche sort of slides down over them and they hold it just perfect on the nose of the holder, I guess you could use three beads but two seems to work ok for me.

I get the plastic beads at the local craft store for a few bucks a thousand.

I caught seven fish with this rig with just the head of a bait in the holser.

I also put a Fishtrap anchovy color 5 inch swimbait in the holder and that worked too.

65whaler
08-31-2005, 04:36 PM
very nice. i have a couple of those bullets laying around. i've never tied them because rsk's work fine, but i'm going to tie a couple up and see what happens.