PDA

View Full Version : Bodega Results 8/19

Fishquest
08-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Was out early this morning with my youngest son (13). I was on strict time limit because he's suffered through a couple of pretty slow trips this season. With the full moon I figured our best bet was to give the salmon a try at first light, then to switch over to rockfish. We had lines in the water north of Elephant shortly after 6. Once again there was tons of bait there but we couldn't find any takers. Headed down to the north end of 10 Mile where we had a flurry of action between 7-8:30. Mario boxed a 14lber., and then before we had the 2nd line back in the water he was hooked up again. Put this one in the box too, a chubby 21 lber. Had another real good fish on and stripping line that spit the hook, a few stripped baits, and a couple of shakers to round out the action. All on chart. FBRs on the bottom in 50-70' of water.

From there we made the run down to Pt. Reyes and had a blast with non-stop action on the bottom dwellers. We landed several vermillions in the 6-8lb class, and a handful of lings topped off with an ornery 18lber. By then our time was up and Mario's arms were worn out, so we headed for home.

My son had a great time today, he caught his biggest ever salmon, ling, and rockfish. I think what made him happiest though was he was schooling me on the rockfish. Every time he'd hook-up he's just smile and say "come-on dad, can't you keep up with me?" I still don't know how he was doing it! Anyways, it was a great way to spend a half a day with my son .

PS Radio albacore report: a boat was coming in late this afternoon with 9 or so, mostly peanuts, about 40 miles out on the 50 line I believe he said. 59-59.5 degrees with no sharp breaks he said.

Supperman
08-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Great report Fishquest!
For the rockies, were you using Fish Traps?

Fish On!

Fishquest
08-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Supperman, my #1 choice for lings and big rockies is a 5" root beer colored scampi. That worked great today. I also took the tough fins off some of the giant squid I caught earlier this year and cut them into broomtails. Today was the first time I tried them, and they worked awesome. I wish I'd made more!

Redwine
08-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Fishquest,

Glad to hear that you and your son had an awesome day, congrats!!!

Redwine

hookeral
08-20-2005, 08:23 AM
I was there also but didn't put my first fish in the box until 11:30, a 25 pounder and then a 17 pounder 15 minutes later. caught both of these at the first waterfall south of kehoes on a Kripple and anchovie, no flasher. Trolled back north at 2:00 pm and got a 24 inch at McClurs and a twin off of Bird for a limit. Took all day but what a great day.

Couldn't have asked for better weather or water, it was awesome. I also heard that a boat was coming in with ten albies, a little too far for me.

Big Al