PDA

View Full Version : 8/16-Incredible Day @ Bodega

Fishquest
08-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Rolled out of the harbor with my friend Tim around 7am, roared down to Elephant and put the lines in amidst lots of birds and huge baitstacks. No action til we got a bit further south around Kehoe in 70'. There the carnage began, first a 24#, then his twin brother, then came the best fish so far this year, 33# :o. I farmed the devil-fish at 10am >:(, which I had on long enough to know would have easily pushed our 4 fish limit over 100#. Then it took almost another hour to get our last fish, this one "only" 14#. Total weight, 95# ;D ;D ;D ! All fish on chart. FBRs right on the bottom in 60-70' of water. Also got to see and chat with nogimmies out there today, which was cool.

From there we headed down to Pt. Reyes. Once the tide changed and we got our drift down, the fun continued. Limits of lings to 17#, a 10# cab, and another 8 or 9 rockfish, mostly vermillions, from 4-8#. Bite was still going strong when we left around 4:00, but the coolers were crammed full and we were whooped. An incredible day I'll never forget.

14_blast
08-17-2005, 05:35 AM
Sounds like you had an awesome day. I'd like to go out there this weekend, but it's quite a drive for me. I'll stay local.

Intimidator
08-17-2005, 06:13 AM
Congrats...
Talked to some buddies of mine staying down at Port of Bodega last night.
They hit the same area with the same results yesterday also.
I hope it holds to next week when i get down there.

fishenrick
08-17-2005, 08:02 AM
It was defitinitly an awesom day out there yesterday, caught salmon from a mile south of the head down to elephant from a 100 feet of water to 50 feet, from 30 pulls to close to the bottom, total of twelve fish on, lost some nice ones at the boat, my buddy and my son and I came home with 6 salmon, 4 in the upper twenty pound range and 2 under. Everything came on green rotary or fbrs, watermelon flashers, saw a 40 pounder at the cleaning station. I think some of those fort bragg fish are finally here. We will be back sometime next week.
Fishquest I thought I heard you on the radio, I should have introduced myself but my radio was not working to well, did you hear about the guys rolling their boat near the beach, hope they were ok, saw a few people fishing in close to the rocks and beach, a little to close for comfort if you ask me.
See ya out there next time.
Brian M it was nice to meet you, Bonnie she is a great lady there at Wills Bait Shop, you both are full of knowledge and willing to share,thank you.
Fishenrick

Fishquest
08-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Fishenrick, glad to hear you had a good day out there. That boat flipped over a month or so ago (NapaStan). Somebody brought the subject up, and I think Stan was out there yesterday filling in the details. He's no novice out there, so it just goes to show you you've got to respect the ocean and stay on your toes.

gone fishin
08-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey awesome report Fishquest

Glad you had a great day. I'm heading over tomorrow afternoon and Friday. Can't wait to hook up finally in close. Was there a lot of bait in close?

Call me on the radio Thurs. and Fri. Mickey T, Hammer, Sunracer, Jason B and Doc will be there as well.

Take care....

Fishquest
08-18-2005, 06:26 AM
[quote author=Gone Fishin link=board=salmon_salt;num=1124252804;start=0#5 date=08/17/05 at 23:17:24]Can't wait to hook up finally in close. Was there a lot of bait in close?
quote]

There's been massive amounts of bait down there, just huge balls that clutter your entire screen, vibrate your lines, and is often visible jumping on the surface. However, I have yet to hook a single fish when the bait is visible on the screen like this. Every fish I've picked up has been "in the vicinity" of the bait, but not with it.

As we came back from Pt Reyes the afternoon fleet was gathered in front of Tomales, and did pretty well from what I heard. However I heard that things slowed down considerably yesterday ???. Dux turned off too. Hard to imagine the fish moved out with all that feed there, but who knows? Sunday's fish had empty bellies and were hotter than hell. By Tuesday they were plugged and a little more sedate. So it could just be that their feeding cycle is back on a lunar clock and thrown off by this full moon. I'd make sure I was out there at the crack of dawn if that's the case. I'm been thinking about going over Friday for something (salmon or tuna) but last month about this time I swore to myself that I wasn't going to fish any more full moons. :'(. I guess I'll wait and see if any of this afternoon's reports can lure me over.

Good luck to you guys, can't wait to hear your results!

65whaler
08-18-2005, 09:43 AM
thanks for the reports guys - i'm going to be floating somewhere near elephant for a four day soak. saturday through tuesday. hoping to fill my freezer with red meat. holler at derek on the sakonnet if you're out.
/derek

The_Reel_Won
08-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah reading this puts me there..thanks :)