PDA

View Full Version : Fishing with a Legend

Fresh_Toro
08-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Went fishing today with my aunt, Esther Weeks , on the New Rayann. Esther is 91 , and has been fishing on that boat and its predecessor for over 30 years , she still doesnt sleep the night before , just too excited . She just quit driving a few months ago [praise the lord] , cant go fishing unless someone drives her , and shes too proud to ask.
My brother and I were just tickled to get to take her today , she has been taking us fishing since we were minnows , it was just really special . She still stands by her pole , all day , no naps like me , just willing the fish to bite .
Today the fish didnt cooperate with her or me , or too many other people on our trip , although the first hour saw 3 30# plus salmon get on board as well as a 20# or more striper. Calm seas , little roll now and then ,overcast , I couldnt of asked for a better day. It was the first time in 20 years for me fishing with capt John that I got skunkt .I guess I was due, the trip yesterday yeilded lots of huge fish , today was too calm I think , oh well .
Have to drive back to Montana tomorrow.
gonna miss the Ocean for a while , I just didnt realize how important it is to know that its there , just over the hills , half hour away to the crashing surf . Looking at the sea has always put me in my place , straightened me out, you cant buy that kind of medicine .
Be back in a few months, after hunting season ,hope I can hold together without my fix ,its getting harder every year, the sushi in Montana sucks , see yah .

fathom
08-17-2005, 11:10 PM
I know a few old ladies like that, boy they sure don't make them like they used to. I wish they could rub off on my wife then maybe I would get to fish more and when I did talk her into going it wasn't just a nag trip to go home LOL!!

14_blast
08-18-2005, 11:08 AM
What a lady! You are very lucky to have an aunt like that to touch your life.

Big_Country
08-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Great read - thanks! It is good to get on the big water from time to time, even to get skunked. Helps with the perspective. Also nice to hear about people like your Aunt Esther. Must be a special lady.

Cheers, BC