PDA

View Full Version : Aug. 8, Golden Gate Trip

jwa
08-10-2005, 09:40 PM
I had a good trip Monday on the New Easy Rider out of Berkeley. A 9A.M. low tide slowed the early action, but the boat ended up a couple of fish short of limits for ten customers. The bite started about an hour after the incoming tide began. The age classes were evenly divided between small, mediums and large fish over 20#. There is plenty of bait out there, and finding salmon is a matter of finding the bait balls. Inverness was the hotspot for the big fish, but they were scattered from Duxbury Reef to Drake's Bay and the Middle Grounds. The sole lady on the boat landed two kings over 20#, plus an 18# striper. The next month should be pretty good outside the Gate if the bait holds.

A few of the fish came on 3-inch floats mooched about 75-feet from the boat. This is a new technique to me for salmon, but is very similar to how we used to fish live shiners for stripers in the SF Bay. The float was rigged to slip 20-feet below then bobber to a 4-oz silding sinker and an 8-foot 15# leader and hook.

Captain Joey Gallia said that he had tried all the combinations of fluorocarbon leaders and hooks, and that he has settled on the 15# P-Line Fluorocarbon leader material with the thin Owner 3/0 circle hook for consistent hook-ups. These hooks seemed to do a better job for me than the VMCs and Eagle Claw circle hooks I had been using.

Good Luck!

14_blast
08-11-2005, 05:27 AM
A couple fish short of the boat limit sounds like a very positive report.

Thanks!

jwa
08-11-2005, 09:30 AM
It was fun!

The weather was foggy all day with this deepening marine layer. I was glad to be out of the heat for a day. We didn't get back into the sun until we returned to Point Bonita.

The part that helps make a trip for me are the crew and customer's atitudes. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, especially when we had a few multiple hookups. I think the light atmosphere was because of the light load, as compared to the cattle boat situation on weekends. The pressure was off without the hassels. All-in-all it was a great group and a good fishing day!

AzSprig
08-11-2005, 12:27 PM
I have learned my lessons about taking party boats. I have fished out of Moss Landing 3 times on the Kahuna and what a zoo that was with 20 + people on a boat, with one deck hand. 2 weeks ago I went with Noyo fishing adventures out of Ft. Bragg, I paid the extra 35.00 to fish on a 12 pack with an extra deck hand and I can say it was the best Salmon trip I have ever been on. Everyone from the cashier signing people up to the fish cleaning boys were top notch ! The skipper knew where to go for the fish and did not worry about extra fuel usage or working a little harder to make his clients comfortable.

I was so impressed with them that I booked another trip with them for next week, for me a little more drive time and a little more cash is worth it.

My .02 worth

newtothegame
08-11-2005, 08:41 PM
I must agree with everything said about the Noyo Fishing trips deal... me and my g/f went a few weeks ago and had nothing but a good time ... the captains are great and the guys on the docks made clean up and packaging of the fish a done deal ...worth every penny ...although make sure you sign up for the morning charter as the bite seems better everytime in the a.m. !! good luck!!