PDA

View Full Version : How to bleed a Salmon?

tdekens
08-08-2005, 07:31 AM
What is the best way to cut a salmon to bleed if after you catch it to get the blood from the roe?
Thanks, 2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

Mickey_Thomas
08-08-2005, 07:54 AM
We put it on a rope and cut the gills, they will bleed out in about 3 minutes. Make sure someone holds onto the rope and pays attention, you never know what will swim up to the back of the boat and take your fish ;)

Redwine
08-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Mickey Thomas,

When you say "cut the gills", how do you do that?

Redwine

STURGEONSTOMPER
08-08-2005, 09:27 AM
With a knife or a good scissors ;)

tdekens
08-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Along the bottom, top, or thru the middle ???

Collegebound
08-08-2005, 10:28 AM
I think anywhere on the gills is good. Make sure to cut both sets of gills ;)
Mike

Salmon1
08-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Just sever the part at the bottom/back of the gills, where the gill structure attaches to the artery, and the blood will start gushing. Make sure not to bonk the fish hard enough to kill it and when you cut the gill the heart will pump all the blood out. If they are too "bonked", the heartbeat is weak and sometimes all of the blood doesn't get pumped out.

Another method is to cut ALL THE WAY TO THE BONE on the underside of the thinnest part of the tail. Rock your knife back and forth on the bottom of the spine and the blood will gush out there too.

Lastly, when Salmon, or any other fish for that matter, is still in the ocean feeding when you catch and kill it, it will have food in it's stomach. The digestive enzymes will continue to work on this material and if left too long this combined with the bacteria in the gut will cause the flesh to breakdown. I always bleed, then gut any ocean caught fish as soon as possible unless they are immediately going into an ice/brine bath. The quality of the meat is definitely better if you follow these steps whenever you can!!

Fishquest
08-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Here's a simpler, faster, safer method (no knife involved ;))that works great, especially if you have deck drains and a washdown hose. When you pick the salmon up out of the net, hook your index finger around one of the gills and pick it up. Give it a whack on the head, and then give the fish a sharp downward shake to break the gill and drop it to the deck. It may not bleed out quite as well (I've never tested it)as cutting the gills, but you will get plenty of blood. Same with the blow to the head, it may not bleed quite as well(again, I've never tested it), but it's more humane and you don't have a lively fish splattering blood everywhere. I'll take that tradeoff. Once the fish is done bleeding, gut and ice ASAP. You'll be amazed at how much difference proper handling will make.

Fish King
08-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Is putting the fish on ice right away good enough? I don't usually want to gut the fish on the boat. It makes a pretty big mess. I just cut the gills and hold them upside-down for a little while and then throw them on ice. Does that work?

Salmon1
08-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Since the original question was specific to preserving the ROE, we all(including myself) seem to have missed the point.As far as the roe is concerned,for top quality you must remove the blood as effectively as possible and then remove the roe as soon as bleeding is complete and put the roe in a clean plastic bag and store on ice. Leaving the roe in the fish,especially in ocean caught fish, will cause it to begin to deteriorate. Also, cure it as soon as you get home, or better yet, take your cures with you when you go salmon fishing and start the curing as soon as you remove the roe from the fish!!!!

Collegebound
08-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Is putting the fish on ice right away good enough? I don't usually want to gut the fish on the boat. It makes a pretty big mess. I just cut the gills and hold them upside-down for a little while and then throw them on ice. Does that work?

It will work, but you are losing fish quality as long as the guts are still in there. Clean them while you still have the energy. That way you can get home, flush the engine, clean the boat and pass out.
Mike