PDA

View Full Version : Boat Launch/Live Bait

TooLittleTime
08-07-2005, 02:42 PM
It's been a long time since I ventured out the Gate but with my new Striper I have decided to start doing it again. My question is what is the boat launch of choice and where does a guy get live chovies? It seems like alot of guys go out of Richmond, Berkeley or Emeryville but I know it can be a bear sometimes to get back to the marina on a windy afternoon. I drove over this morning and looked at the ramp someone told me about at the old Fort Baker-nice little cove close to the gate but a lousy ramp with no dock. Suggestions? Oh yeah I will be driving in from Martinez. Thanks

CORN
08-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Berkeley is ideal because it has a bait receiver. However, it can be pretty busy on weekends and if the wind kicks up, it can be a rough ride from Berkeley to the gate.

If I wanted to fish live bait out the gate, I would launch from Richmond, cut across, around Angel Island, and get bait at the SF Wharf.

just_kidding
08-07-2005, 07:56 PM
The Fort Baker ramp is a bear. It has a steep drop at the end not to mention a jacked up lauch ramp with two large ditches. Try the ramp, also in Sausalito, free, where the old margarita restaruant is. I think it's called paradise bay. Good luck.

triggerfish
08-07-2005, 09:33 PM
too little time,berkley is where i go in the bay. the launch ramp is good. still only 5 bucks. you don't have to cross any stupid toll bridges. the bait is right there. the wind comes up in the afternoon so no problem gettin back. if you get there before 5:55 am you wont have to wait very long. the only thing that I hate is the traffic home on week days.