PDA

View Full Version : go mooch 10 mile

65whaler
08-01-2005, 09:11 AM
i'll get to the mooch thing in a sec - first, saturday i went due west of tomales point to the 300' line. found a half mile long flock of muirs on the water. trolled there. the green rsks with no flasher got eaten by shakers. lots of stripped baits. went through a whole bag of anchovies without keeping a fish. finally hooked a nice one and it came of. went home a little discusted with myself.

i was surrounded by a group of about 12 porpoises i'd never seen before. they had very similar tuxedo markings to orchas, but they were between 7'-10'. very fast and made a big splash everytime they surfaced. they followed my on my troll for about five minutes. i was really sad i didn't pack my camera which usually do. i tried to google them. this is my best guess:
http://www.cetacea.org/dalls.htm

but sunday - went down to my favorite spot - the north end of 10 mile in 30' to 50' of water. the turns pelicans, muirs, cormorants, seagulls - you name it - they were screaming and diving. the bait was/is as thick as i've ever seen it. you didn't need a fish finder, just look for the boil on the surface.

here's the sad thing - i trolled it for hours for nothing. from 7:00 till noon. nothing. i'd never mooched before, but had the rigs and hippo at hai's had shown me how to do it and rig it. so i gave it a whirl. started catching fish immediately. unfortunately, they were amost all exactly 19". finally got a couple that were keepable and then it was late and i had to run, but those who were wise enough to kill the motor and mooch were gone by 10:00 with limits and there were some pigs taken early.

that bait should hold there for a while and i'm pretty sure the hogs will find them soon. weather was and is supposed to stay very fishable. good time to play "hookie" right now.

14_blast
08-01-2005, 11:11 AM
65whaler,

We had a similar situation last Saturday. We were heading back to Richmond when I noticed lotsa birds congregated in an area. I slowed the boat down and my whole screen went black because the bait was thick. We've already put the trolling gear away, but I wouldn't be worth my weight in salt if I didn't troll the area a little. We had 2 that popped the release, but they didn't stick. I guess my question is: Do you think the porpoises scared the salmon away?

drstressor
08-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Those were Dalls porpoises for sure. I've had some experience with them in BC and they shut down a salmon bite in a hurry. But once they drive off a bunch of herring, they generally don't stick around. The move very fast and try to ball up another school.

brian_m
08-01-2005, 11:31 AM
i was halibut fishing in the same area yesterday and i was catching anchovies on sabiki rigs it was so think!

CORN
08-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Did I hear mooch?? Thanks for the report. I'll have to head up there soon. Mooching = no need to sniff my 2-stroke fumes. :D