PDA

View Full Version : No Excuse!

knof
07-29-2005, 07:38 AM
Ok, as I was trolling out of Moss Thursday I saw a group of birds in the water and I began to troll towards them. As you know trolling takes awhile and as I was approaching the area a charter boat out of Monterey "Star of Monterey" decided he was bigger and wanted the area. He wasn't going towards the area until he was close then made a turn and headed towards it. If the skipper had a brain and any common courtesy (which he obviously doesn't have either) he would of seen me and my 14' Klamath trolling towards for several minutes. Well he pushed his way there first so his clients could mooch. I wasn't far when he did that and thought about continuing my straight troll and snag one of his clients lines, but that would of only made one of his clients mad. Luckily for me the skipper came out to check on someone pole as I went by and I told him he was number one.

I could only laugh at the boat, cause they weren't landing many fish. Not to mention the skipper didn't know what he was doing either, cause they kept moving back and forth looking for fish, but always going back.

Anyone else have a bad incident with larger boats that think they can bully a small boat? In this case, what should I of done? Call the coast gaurd and report him, or is there someone else?

Keith

fishenrick
07-29-2005, 08:08 AM
Probally not much a guy could do, what would you report him for,stolen bait pocket, he is doing the same thing you are doing looking for bait pockets, he was just a little faster getting there, I would have pulled in my gear and jetted to that area if I were not in a bait pocket and if you did beat him there he would have most likely came any ways, so again probally not much a guy could do but join him unless he was giving you a bad time, then call the coast gaurd. Just my .02 cents, try and get there first if not join them.
How did you do that day, any fish?

Fishenrick

triggerfish
07-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Knof,There is not too much that you can do. If you tryed that, that captn. would be screaming at you. There seems to be no common courtesy any more. I had a party boat pullup and start fishing 8 ft. off my stern a few weeks back. I was there 1st,but he just pulled up like he owned the place. >:(

fishnmike2002
07-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Got to love fishing for money, it changes how people are when on the water. Its common to all types of fishing when $ are on the line.

How'd you end up doing?

FishnMike

triggerfish
07-29-2005, 09:26 AM
Yea mike ,after the 3rd party boat showed up. We decided to run to pt. Reyes,Knowing the those partyboats are too cheep to burn fuel. Hammered the lings, caught about 15-18 lings upto 31"

18ftseasquirrel78
07-29-2005, 11:07 AM
I also had a similar incident, I was fishing about one mile out from bodega head in the fog for bottom fish with the engine off. So my buddy and I hear a boat close by and about fifty yards away we see a larger vessel coming right for us. We could clearly see this boat, but it was plaining high in the water and we could not see the operator. So when the boat got to about 30 yards my buddy starts to wave his arms. I thought f- that I started the engine and pulled my boat about fifty feet to get out of the way. When this boat passed us we looked at them like WTF?? with our hands out, and they looked back at us with the same expression. I have a horn on my boat but it is quiet so the next day I bought two air horns. Iím convinced they would have plowed into us if I didnít move out of their way. I canít understand how a person at the helm would drive their boat if they could not see in front of them. I will always keep my air horn at the ready because of this incident. I hope these guys plow into a log someday better a log then my boat.

14_blast
07-29-2005, 11:14 AM
I mentioned this in my post last week, we were basically the only boat in the area, the armada was at least a mile and a half away, but as soon as I caught 2 salmon in less than 20 minutes...the armada was on us.

I look at it as team work because we follow the charter boats too.

AzSprig
07-29-2005, 02:23 PM
I was fishing on the Kahuna a few weeks ago out of Moss Landing (Great Skipper) and everytime we would get on fish the same jackass in the Star of Monterey would cut us short on our drift. Our Captain finally got tired of it and changed locations, as soon as we had a couple fish in the box, here he came again. I don't know if he's a newby or just an idiot. >:(

knof
07-30-2005, 07:07 AM
Thank you for confirming that AzSrig and proof the the captain of Star of Monterey IS a Jack Ass, and I would NOT reccomend that charter for my worst enemy (well maybe) lol!

I know we use charters for clues on where to fish too, but the incident I had, there was no excuse for. As for bait balls, Monterey Bay has had huge bait this year and it isn't hard to find it.

johnfg
07-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Hmmm, a couple years ago we were drifting for 'buts south of Tomales. A PB came up, saw the other small craft in the area, and proceeded to spin a hard donut, effectively blowing us off the drift and out of "his" lane. What an A$$!! If I could remember the name of the PB, I would tell you. I just try to forget those days, instead.
Fishing is supposed to be FUN!

Collegebound
07-31-2005, 06:26 PM
With all the monterey bay party boat incidents i think the slow spring salmon run got the skippers really frazzled so when the fish finally showed up... well, they went nuts. Bad skippers+slow fishing= private boater hell. Just my take on it.
Mike