PDA

View Full Version : Going to Bodega Thursday (7/28)

fishguts
07-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Talked to Wills Bait shop and says water should be great tomorrow, so heading up there for salmon and maybe rockies. Leaving Antioch between 4-4:30 am hope to be launched and heading out by 0600. First a stop at Wills. Says they are picking them up at 24/7 in 80ft. Not exactly sure if those are the exact numbers to put in my GPS. In any case who is going and can I follow ya or what channel should I be on? I have a full boat so as much as I would like to take a seasoned hitchhiker its not possible. Will be the first offshore trip in the seahawk.Safety equipment in place and ready to go.
Joe P.

Go_Fish
07-27-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm going out Thursday morning. I'll be at West Point launch at 6 am. I'll be in a 22 ft whaler.

Ira channel 77

Fishquest
07-27-2005, 06:24 PM
The last "on the water" report for Bodega I heard was yesterday, and salmon fishing was DEAD. He said it sounded like only 4-5 fish total caught all day. I've seen no reports today, and Will's, Calico, and Payback have not updated their websites in several days (read between the non-existent lines).
If I was going I'd either run up past Fort Ross for some real good ling/rockfish action, or troll down 10 mile for salmon/buts and then hit Pt. Reyes for the bottom dwellers. The 2nd option leaves you close enough to the action should the salmon start biting, it should be flat enough that you can chase it down. Good luck!

hookeral
07-27-2005, 07:28 PM
I fished Bodega today and did fair. It was slow but I managed to pick up 3 fish, 2 small and 1, 15 pounder. I went out from the rocks and stayed on a 270 (west) tack. I dropped the gear in at 230 ft and picked up shakers. We got our best action at the 280 foot line with 100 feet of wire out. The weather and water was fantastic, could have water skied. Used small dodgers with kripples and green RSK.

Good luck

Big Al

fishenrick
07-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Also fished Bodega today, it was my first salt water adventure and it was a blast, nothing big but hooked 12 salmon and landed seven of them, all small salmon 20 to 23 inches, one that got away felt like a nice one but isn't that how it usually goes, I also heard it was slow and then some guys started talking about going straight out of Bodega head and fish in 300 feet of water and that is where we got all of ours, they were calling the area 12 and 17 if that helps just go straight out past the bouy and head to 300 feet of water, greeen fbrs and water melon dodgers, tons of bait out there, oh we were 38 to 45 pulls and on the wire 38 to 50 feet. It is in my blood now ,these ocean salmon are gorgeous compared to the river salmon, great color.

Brian thank you for your help.
The lady at will's was great.
Fishenrick

fishguts
07-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the info, Ira I will be looking you up
Joe P.
Fishguts.

fishguts
07-28-2005, 04:01 AM
Partner is late a few more minutes going to switch to Kokes and head inland. ???

14_blast
07-28-2005, 05:16 AM
fishguts,

Are you going to Berryessa or to IVR?

65whaler
07-28-2005, 02:50 PM
... straight out of *Bodega head and fish in 300 feet of water and that is where we got all of ours, they were calling the area 12 and 17 if that helps just go straight out past the bouy and head to 300 feet of water, greeen fbrs and water melon dodgers, tons of bait out there ...
Brian thank you for your help.
The lady at will's was great.
Fishenrick

fishnrick - you mean 17/12 right? i don't think 12 gets you into 300 feet of water west of the head.

donzitroller
07-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Great reports, thanks for posting! I'll be out there on Saturday and Sunday trying to boat something worthy.. Rick, glad to see you out on the water! Gettin to be that time of year.. just another month and you'll be able to cut that drive down a bit!

FISH ON!

fishenrick
07-28-2005, 03:58 PM
65whaler, I apoligize if I got that wrong, I was trying to remember what I heard on the radio, I am not sure what it means, I am guessing the compose reading, I just headed for 300 feet of water after I heard they were catching them out there, I have some homework to do if I am going to fish and navigate the ocean.
Donzi that extra hour I drove was well worth it, the salmon were gorgeous, saw a couple of whales one was huge and it was not more than75 yards away.Good luck to you this weekend, they said it was a real slow day but I had lots of action, even though they were small it was fun.
I will probally go again next weekand try for some bigger ones.

Fishenrick

Team_Sheryl_Lee
07-28-2005, 06:48 PM
those numbers 17/12 are latitude and longitude
most of us have gps (global positionind systems)on board along with compass and vhf radio
i also have a chartplotter and wish i had radar
if you dont have a gps unit i highly suggest you get one
if you are in the fog you need more than just a compass
you can find the hand held plug into the cig lighter or double "a" batterys for about a hundered bucks
any walmart will have some

TSL

fishguts
07-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Hooked up into some nice Salmon at Don Pedro. Will post on the freshwater Salmon board. How did everyone do at Bodega?