PDA

View Full Version : Monterey Salmon Fishing - Question

dirtydan
07-26-2005, 08:57 AM
I'm taking the family to Monterey/Pacific Grove the weekend of August 5 - and I'd like to get my boys (8 and 6) out Salmon fishing. *Two questions:

How's the Salmon fishing off Monterey this time of year; and

I need to find a boat to charter for 4-6 people.

I'd like to not have the boys fighting for room on a party boat - so I'm thinking about chartering a boat . . .

any comments / suggestions?

Thanks.
-DD

AllFishNoWork
07-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Here is a link to some boats in the area. I've never been there so that is all I can tell you, but I would think you might want to make reservations pretty quick.

http://www.thesundeckonline.com/Newsletter.htm#CentralCoast

Supperman
07-26-2005, 01:08 PM
I've seen these guys on TV. Flyfishing might be fun in Monterey...
http://www.danblanton.com/c2c.california_monterey.html

I am not aware of six pack boats in Monterey. Maybe there is one, I don't know.
The Payback out of Bodega is a good trip...It is a six-pack type boat.

Good Luck

dirtydan
07-26-2005, 01:24 PM
I found a small charter here:

http://www.reelsportfishingsc.com/

Waiting to see if anythings available for my trip - looks like a nice ride for the day.

Thanks for the info.
-DD

Fin-C-Kur
07-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Normally the salmon fishing is over by then in Monterey. HMB would be a much better bet.

blue_chrush
07-26-2005, 06:22 PM
Normally the salmon fishing is over by then in Monterey. HMB would be a much better bet.

hahahahahahaha.......are you kidding.... ::) :D :D
in the last 2yrs we have had some of our biggest
fish from aug-oct....seriously, you gotta be kidding

not being mean, but I live right here in santa cruz
fish alot during these months as the long days and
indian summer allows for some great days on the water...
montery is going to be just fine, moss is good and out
front in the hole will be great,,, which is half way between santa cruz and montery.....have a great time....

meatboat
07-26-2005, 08:21 PM
I would also say Salmon is over by then. Fished this bay for 40 years, However there are always a few around deep and those plants they do at Monterey harbor and Moss keep those fish around most of the year (Ain't got no home) Seen them drop eggs in run off near the Wharf. September they start comining back. But you never know when a new school will sneak in.
Young kids have little patience, I'd go light tackle cod for sure thing, or give it till 10:00 salmon, then hit cod if you charter. Your boat

blue_chrush
07-26-2005, 08:50 PM
MEATBOAT.... :-/
I can't wait to see your post in 3wks with your
biggest salmon of the season....
a huge female over 40lbs and just stuffed to
the gills with chovies, ..... ;D
aug 11, to be exact....lol

fourfman
07-27-2005, 09:20 AM
If you are going to fish for Salmon the south side of the bay has very little in the way of recreational fishing facilities.
The party boats on the pier are about the only thing I have known of in the 35 years I have been in Monterey. We can't even get a good tackle shop the only one we have is a stealth shop above an auto shop in Sand City, but he is avid. Perhaps you can call him to find out if there are some new six packs on the south side of the bay Jim Franco 831 8991111, if you like fishing tackle his shop is a wonderland, a small room filled with the best, and he is an avid Kokanee fisherman.
The fishing on the south side of the bay slows down after the spring and early summer flurry and most of the fish caught are up near moss landing and Santa Cruz.
The fish will be moving faster and faster to the rivers they just want to have sex and die.
Even around the the point at Cypress the fish only stay for a few days at this time of the year.
Your best bet is to find someone in Santa Cruz as there are some great six pack owners over there. You can find them at
this site or http://www.fishsantacruz.com/ or you could call Bayside Marine in Santa Cruz and they would have some good info 831 4643474.
Now I'm not saying that you may be here when one big school shows up that is just chance.I come down and stay at my house in CV for the summer because that is what I do for the spring and summer fishhhhhhhhhhhhh. But coming for the weekend is tough.
There are some fish in the Soquel Hole and out front of Santa Cruz right now and the six packs would be well equiped
to fish for them the fish are down deep and big. There have been some fish caught out in front of Moss Landing but they are small, lots of shakers.
But the drive to Santa Cruz is only 45min. and is very pleasant in the early morning. Make sure that you have a map to get to Santa Cruz harbor it is not easy to find.
Good luck and have fun with your kids,and I hope this helps a little.
Between a baseball game and fishing I can't think of a better way of relaxing with my son, and Father.
Fourfman

knof
07-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Fourman said it for me. *Go to http://www.fishsantacruz.com/ their boat is a catamaran (sp) and very comfortable. *They will fish whatever is best, but maybe you can talk to them into a potential split. *They haven't been salmon fishing for a couple of weeks, because they are knocking the rock cod dead! *Don't forget to call Todd at Bayside Marine too, he is very knowledgable and helpful. *

BTW listening to www.shiptoshoreradio.com today, there have been some nice fish brought in today (Wednesday)! *Looks like I might be out on the water tomorrow, heheheee!

Keith

meatboat
07-27-2005, 03:21 PM
My biggest salmon of this year are both swimming around with my flasher and hoochie and 60lbtest leader. Lost two at the boat (one santa cruz, next moss)while I had the leader in hand ready to net. both pulled the four lb weight to the top and swam ahead of the boat, then decided to turn there heads the other direction snapping the line and strething the strech cord to the max till it broke. After crying about it online someone said they caught a slug that was way bigger than there 30lber they landed. That fish broke off to and it had a flasher with hoochie attached to it. So I am going with 80lb slamon without proof and I released it for breeding.

MEATBOAT.... :-/
I can't wait to see your post in 3wks with your
biggest salmon of the season....
a huge female over 40lbs and just stuffed to
the gills with chovies, ..... ;D
aug 11, to be exact....lol

blue_chrush
07-27-2005, 07:29 PM
I think that was the day you were out at mulligans...
I herd on the radio about someone loosing a fish
and another boat chimmed in that he just saw it swim
by with the lure and flasher in its mouth.....lol
I got a good feeling about getting some more hogs in
the weeks to come....
today the hole got some great limits by 9:30 and
the fish were going 25/29lbs....its comming... :D
meatboat, I'll be out this weekend, I'll give a shout..