PDA

View Full Version : Mooching?

Bassassin
07-27-2005, 08:38 AM
Does anyone have a website or mind sharing exactly how the mooching technique works? It seems many mention it as a technique to use, but I have yet to do it myself and would love input regarding how the technique is rigged and executed.

I found this site myself and wonder what opinions any have on its content.

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/protalk/reid/mooch.phtml

Thanks in advance!

14_blast
07-27-2005, 08:46 AM
Thank you for sharing that info with us. That's how we fished for Silvers up at Painters Lodge, Campbell River, BC.

Collegebound
07-27-2005, 09:35 AM
With mooching you are trying to imitate a freshly disabled baitfish. the younger Salmon basically charge thru bait schools thrashing and flailing in order to disable as many bait fish as possible. the older salmon wait for the disabled baitfish to sink down to them. The site you mentioned has a good idea about leaders and weights. I use a sliding sinker rig with a 6-8 oz cannonball and a six foot leader down in cali. here you can only use circle hooks ( no j hooks allowed. I use a shorter rod, probably 8'6" and lighter test at 20lbs. some ppl use 15.
rigging
attach hook to leader and thread the leader thru the anchovy using a threader so the hook will stick out right on the wrist (area right in front of tail) area of the bait. attach leader to snap swivel, put the sliding sinker holder on the main line and attach it to the swivel.

What you do is you motor around looking around for visible signs of a baitball, birds etc. Position your boat on the edge of the baitball using the fishfinder, making sure that the current is going to take you over the bait. Lower you bait down 3/4 thru the baitball. and wait. every minute raise your bait 5 feet and lower it back down again. When the you get a bite you'll know it. the rod tip will bounce up and down a couple of times. When you use circle hooks DO NOT SET THE HOOK EVER. resist the urge and wait till the fish starts to take line out. then start reeling in. never set the hook or else you lose your fish no pumping is needed either. thats basically it. Hope this helps.
-fin

brian_m
07-27-2005, 02:32 PM
4-6ft leader 15-20 pound test with a snelled barbless circle hook, with a 3-6 once banana sinker works for me

Team_Sheryl_Lee
07-27-2005, 04:46 PM
i agree with brian
but will definetly try the cut bait
the twirling action may be helpfull

nice find on the web site

TSL

fathom
07-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Here is a site that has some good info, it does not really say about mooching but you can also plug cut your bait to mooch.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_htrh_pc1_index.html

brian_m
07-27-2005, 05:11 PM
yep i like the cutplug rig also..ive also trolled a cutpluged herring and worked pretty good

Jan_from_Humboldt
07-27-2005, 07:08 PM
You might try this site for tips...

http://hotshotguide.com/mooching_for_salmon.htm

Bassassin
07-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Thank you all for the responses. I really appreciate it!