PDA

View Full Version : California City

Double_D
07-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Anyone hooking up at California City?

brian_m
07-14-2005, 06:04 PM
looks like its gunna be another late season...im guessing late August. im planning a trip in the next 3 weeks...ill let you know.

cptfishalot
07-14-2005, 08:51 PM
That was one of my favorite haunts last year, I almost fished it this morning after hearing about a GREAT bite last weekend. However I decided to fish "Live Bait" again and pick up more Halibut.
I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open...

brian_m
07-14-2005, 09:53 PM
i dont think your gunna catch any salmon this time of year in cal city...its still way to early for them...

knof
07-15-2005, 07:15 AM
Salmon season opens on the Sacramento tomorrow, and if there are fish in the river, don't they go through Calif. City to get there?

The number count of salmon that have gone through the Diversion Dam in Red Bluff is half of last year, so it does look like it could be a late year.

The fishing in Monterey Bay also had a late start this year, so it looks like everything is behind schedule.

Good luck to everyone that is planning on hitting the River tomorrow, but I'll be in Moss Landing on Monday.

JGSCHACK
07-15-2005, 08:45 AM
Where is California City?

14_blast
07-15-2005, 10:37 AM
Probably on the Marin side of San Pablo Bay.

BTW, here's what the Mercury News said:

San Pablo Bay: Striped bass fishing has been good in the main bay and near Alcatraz. Halibut fishing has been fair. The first good reports of salmon at California City are in: one boat with three anglers caught limits of fish weighing 8-10 pounds on Saturday. On Sunday, two limits were caught. The weather has been good with little wind. Loch Lomond Bait Shop (415) 456-0321.

cptfishalot
07-19-2005, 12:15 AM
My buddies went out yesterday they decided to leave the "Hali's" alone they had (2) limits in the boat real early and went back for live bait and finished the day.
Some folks have been getting them in the river already and some with nice size, I guess I rather FISH the cooler temps for awhile more and I really don't mind the saltwater clean-up when the day is done.

Double_D
07-19-2005, 06:28 AM
cptfishalot..we are seeing Salmon in Benicia with size, so when I here Cal city has them we get them next.

cptfishalot
07-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Your right about that...Well Thursday is the day for me I'll gonna play the tides and try for a TRIPLE limit of 3 different species...
Wish me luck !!!!

fishenrick
07-19-2005, 11:19 PM
cptfishalot, going for a triple doubele are ya, screamin reels to ya, are you trolling or mooching for your salmon?
We will have to hook up soon. I still am thinking of taking my little boat out but still not sure, I may have to go on a scouting trip to check things out, but first haave home work to do on ocean fishing for salmon.
Good luck
Fishenrick

brian_m
07-19-2005, 11:48 PM
hmmm...im probley gunna talk my buddy into giving it a try sunday morning and fish the change of the low....i was gunna wait till the first weekend of August but im hearing rumors of some fishing being caught so i guess ill have to see for my self...good luck to you all!

FISH ON!!!!!

cptfishalot
07-20-2005, 12:24 AM
Actually I haven't really been targeting Salmon, I've been using "Live Bait" and going after Halibut & Stripers at SR and I've had the salmon hook up.
My friends have been trolling for salmon at Cal City using RSK and anchovies/herring.
Last year was good for me there once I start landing them, I would hook them up like crazy and they would get off, but after a while I got in the groove.
This week my primary goal is some BIG HALI'S hanging outside the gate....1st and then depending on the weather and wind I will either stay outside the gate or come in to California City....
California City is a very nice place to fish it's very protected from the wind and is usually sunny, I've seen folks in 12ft Klamaths hooking up!!!!!!!

brian_m
07-20-2005, 12:32 AM
yep...pretty soon california city will be a zoo and you'll be lucky to even make one tack across it! good luck to you on the butts. ill be out for the salmon and i might drag a line on the bottem for the halies while im there.

14_blast
07-20-2005, 04:10 AM
I spoke to a baitshop owner last night and he said Duxbury, Buoy N was wide open, which means California City will be getting some of those Salmon from Duxbury in a few days. I attended a Salmon fishing seminar up in Rocklin and the guide speaking at the seminar said that once he hears that the salmon are in Duxbury, they are staging their return to the river systems.

On the other hand, someone told me that was El Toro scat. I want to believe the guide so I'm going to try California City in a few days to give the Salmon some time to transition from Duxbury to California City. I mean this makes sense because salmon are being caught in the river systems already which means they have to go through Dux, Cali City, and Benecia.

Big_Country
07-20-2005, 05:11 PM
Yep, the salmon are starting to move in waves through Cal City. I haven't gotten out in three weeks (cause of kid's baseball schedule is nuts) but conditions seem about right. August should be good along that stretch of the bay. But if I was going out tomorrow, I'd hit Rocky Point to Dux buoy.

BC

cptfishalot
07-24-2005, 11:56 PM
I was in the office all weekend working very hard for a living.
Did anyone get a chance to hit California City?
My next fishing day will be Friday of the upcoming week, I really hope the weather holds and I'll just might do DB.
Just trying to keep sync with the big pond....
Thanks in advance...

dogfish30
07-26-2005, 06:46 AM
Hey everybody, I'm going to take my 15 ft. Greagor to Calif. City pretty soon. I've never targeted salmon there and was wondering if I should use my downriggers. Also, should I use the same rigs as I use outside the gate, like SRK's and Apex's. Lastly, where's the nearest ramp, and does it have place to rinse out my motor? Thanks for any info. DF30

fishguts
07-26-2005, 07:50 AM
I guess it depends on what side of the bay you are launching from. I like to go out of Richmond, the ramp is always empty and they have a wash down. I think its still free.
Joe P.

14_blast
07-26-2005, 08:39 AM
It cost $10 to launch and they have a quarter machine for the washdown.

FishHooker
07-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Question:
Where is Calif. City?

Mickey_Thomas
07-26-2005, 01:31 PM
California City is accross the bay from the Berkeley launch, you'll need a SF Bay chart or GPS to find it the first time. Dogfish30, I target them the same as in the ocean, if you use your down riggers outside the gate, use them in Calif. City, also I use the same bait setups 8)

Isaac
07-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Mickey,

Do you known the numbers for California City??

Is there a bouy nearby for reference?

Kingfish

Fresh_Toro
07-26-2005, 03:02 PM
In a 15ft gregor you might want to launch @ sausalito , Its the closest ramp, $15 or $20 now to launch ,free washout . Sometimes bridge toll and Marin b.s can be worth not going across bay in a 15.

dogfish30
07-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all the info. In my small boat I think Sausalito and Richmond are kind of too much water to cross. A friend of mine said there was a ramp in San Rafael at Loch Lomond. Does anybody have any info. on that ramp? Hey Mickey, thank you too for the info. I'll take my downriggers. How deep is it there? Should I run flashers too? I'm pretty stoked! Eagle Lake this weekend, and California City next weekend. Life is pretty good right now. Fish on!!!! DF30 ;D

Fresh_Toro
07-26-2005, 06:37 PM
15$ to launch , best bait guy on the bay though , I still think sausalito would be a shorter trip , cal city just round the corner

dogfish30
07-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks Fresh_Toro, If I come over the San Rafael Bridge, I know to turn left, But can you tell me what exit to take. Also, do you think a 15 footer would be alright crossing that area? DF30

just_kidding
07-26-2005, 08:00 PM
Unless they lowered their price its $20 to launch. Loch Lomond is about 10 minutes from the freeway. Going over the bridge you continue on 580 and merge on to 101 north. Take the Central San Rafael exit and take your first right off of the freeway. That will take you past a KFC and the Montecito shopping center. Just follow the road (named San Pedro) and Loch lomond is about 2 miles up. Can't miss it. Good luck. If it's rough hug San Quentin and you will be fine. A 15' boat will have no problem. You may get wet if it's windy though. Good Luck.